Evidences of the electromagnetic nature of light

In summary, the most convincing evidence for the electromagnetic nature of light is that Maxwell was able to derive a wave equation for EM fields and find that the velocity of the wave is equal to 1/sqrt(epsilon_0*mu_0) = c. This evidence can be found in the oldest form, the simplest form, and the most convincing form.
lalbatros
Hello,

I could give many arguments supporting the electromagnetic nature of light.
The whole net of modern physics can be used for that, specially atomic physics.

However, I wonder what could be the best evidences like:

- the oldest
- the simplest
- the most convincing
- the cheapest (in a lab)
- the most clever

In addition, as was asked in another thread, I would be curious to know how this idea came to Maxwell.
Is it simply the matching of the velocity of light with the Maxwell's equations?
Did the people at that time already have some suspicion?

Thanks,

Michel

Physics news on Phys.org
Historically, the most convincing is probably Maxwell deriving a wave equation for EM fields and finding that the velocity of the wave is equal to 1/sqrt(epsilon_0*mu_0) = c, that is the speed of light (an optical phenomenon) can be described in terms of electromagnetic constants (epsilon_0 and mu_0).

Claude.

It is true that in these old times, the speed of light could be considered like a fingerprint.
Today, this evidence would be less convincing ... even with many more decimals on the speed of light. We would tend to think of c as being more general than electromagnetism, a constraint put on the speed of light and any other speed.

The earliest idea that light might be an EM phenomenon was by Faraday who rotated the plane of polarization of light with a magnetic field.
Put "Faraday effect" into google.

Thanks clem, this is a very nice example.

I should have thought to it.
I knew the Faraday rotation is used in Tokamaks to measure the current distribution.
The total rotation is measured along several chords.
This allows a mathematical reconstruction of the current flowing through the plasma (in real time!).

I will try to find more about the original Faraday experiment.

clem said:
The earliest idea that light might be an EM phenomenon was by Faraday who rotated the plane of polarization of light with a magnetic field.
Put "Faraday effect" into google.

This would prove light to be a transverse wave; but not necessarily an EM wave.

But that it just my nitpicky opinion!

Claude.

Related to Evidences of the electromagnetic nature of light

1. What is the electromagnetic nature of light?

The electromagnetic nature of light refers to the fact that light is a form of energy that can travel through space in the form of electromagnetic waves.

2. How was the electromagnetic nature of light discovered?

The electromagnetic nature of light was first discovered by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century through his work on the equations of electromagnetism.

3. What evidence supports the electromagnetic nature of light?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the electromagnetic nature of light, including the ability of light to travel through a vacuum, its ability to be reflected and refracted, and its ability to interact with electric and magnetic fields.

4. How does the electromagnetic nature of light impact our daily lives?

The electromagnetic nature of light has a significant impact on our daily lives, as it allows for the use of technologies such as radios, televisions, and cell phones. It also plays a crucial role in our ability to see, as light reflects off of objects and enters our eyes.

5. Can the electromagnetic nature of light be observed directly?

No, the electromagnetic nature of light cannot be observed directly by the human eye. However, it can be detected and measured using specialized instruments such as spectrometers and photometers.