Everytime I start doing math on paper I lose interest

In summary, The conversation is about the use of computers in mathematics and the ease of understanding coding syntax compared to mathematical notation. The speaker believes that coding can be helpful in understanding math, especially for computational and applied mathematicians, while pure mathematicians may not rely on computers as much. However, the speaker also acknowledges that some areas of math, such as Differential Geometry, may have notoriously difficult notation.
scout6686
I then think that I *should*be spending my time in something more "practical" like R or C++ or matlab...then stop the math to code lol

When I do a lot of coding I notice I go to the math and find that I'm able understand it easier because the notation/syntax is so much less busy. Do the majority of mathematicians do math thru machine...? or on paper.

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience..

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it depends on what you're talking about. Computational Mathematicians (and Applied Mathematicians) often require computer help. Pure Mathematicians (from what I understand) would rarely require the use of computers.

I am amazed however that you find code syntax easier to read than mathematical syntax.

Have you tried reading any Differential Geometry ? Its notation is famously difficult.

Bacle2 said:
Have you tried reading any Differential Geometry ? Its notation is famously difficult.

I haven't, though on some quick research I would be inclined to agree. I stand behind what I said on a general level though.

I can understand the struggle of balancing traditional mathematical methods and coding in modern scientific research. While coding certainly has its practical uses, it is important to remember that mathematics is the foundation of all scientific disciplines and cannot be replaced by technology. It is essential to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and be able to work through problems on paper in order to fully comprehend and utilize them in coding.

That being said, it is also true that coding can often make complex mathematical calculations more manageable and efficient. It is a valuable tool in modern research and has its own set of advantages. However, it should not be seen as a replacement for traditional mathematical methods, but rather as a complementary tool.

As for the majority of mathematicians, it is difficult to generalize their methods as everyone has their own preferences and approaches. Some may prefer working on paper, while others may find it easier to code. Ultimately, the most important thing is to find a balance between the two and use whichever method is most effective for the task at hand.

In conclusion, while coding may seem more practical and efficient, it is important to not neglect the fundamentals of mathematics and continue to work through problems on paper. Both methods have their own benefits and should be used in conjunction to achieve the best results in scientific research.

Related to Everytime I start doing math on paper I lose interest

1. Why do I lose interest when doing math on paper?

There could be several reasons for losing interest while doing math on paper. It could be due to a lack of understanding or interest in the subject, distractions, or fatigue. It is important to identify the root cause and find ways to overcome it.

2. How can I stay motivated while doing math on paper?

To stay motivated while doing math on paper, try breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable parts. Set achievable goals and reward yourself after completing each task. Also, find ways to make math more fun and engaging, such as using colorful pens or incorporating real-life examples.

3. Is it normal to get bored while doing math on paper?

Yes, it is normal to get bored while doing math on paper. Math can be a challenging subject, and it requires a lot of focus and concentration. It is common to experience periods of boredom while working on difficult problems. Take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh mind.

4. How can I improve my focus while doing math on paper?

To improve focus while doing math on paper, try eliminating distractions such as turning off your phone or finding a quiet study space. Also, try implementing techniques like the Pomodoro method, where you work for a set amount of time and take short breaks in between. This can help improve focus and productivity.

5. What should I do if I consistently lose interest while doing math on paper?

If you consistently lose interest while doing math on paper, it could be a sign that you need to change your study habits or seek additional help. Consider studying with a group or finding a tutor who can help make the subject more interesting and easier to understand. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and engage in activities that you enjoy to avoid burnout.