Every graph GG containing a cycle satisfies g(G)≤2d+1

In summary, the proof explains that if the girth of a cycle in a graph G is greater than or equal to 2 times the diameter of G plus 2, then there must be two vertices in the cycle that have a distance of at least the diameter of G plus 1. This is because any shortest path between these two vertices in G will not be a subgraph of the shortest cycle in G, leading to a contradiction. The proof also mentions that there may be cases where the shorter path does contain elements from both sides of the cycle, but this needs further consideration. Lastly, the proof raises the question of whether it is always valid to assume that in G, these two vertices have a lesser distance, and suggests that there
Terrell
Proof: Let C be a shortest cycle in G. If g(G)>= 2diam(G) + 2, then C has two vertices whose distance in C is at least diam(G)+1.
Question: why is it at least diam(G)+1?

cont. of proof: In G, these vertices have a lesser distance; any shortest path P between them is therefore not a subgraph of C.
how i understood: A path "around" the cycle creates a longer path than the shortest path between x and y in G. Therefore, this shortest path P is not a subgraph of the shortest cycle C.

rest of the proof: Thus, P contains a C-path xPy. Together with the shorter of the two x-y paths in C, this path xPy forms a shorter cycle than C, a contradiction.
Question: why does P contain a C-path xPy if it is not a subgraph of C?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Terrell said:
Question: why is it at least diam(G)+1?
If you have a cycle with 2n elements, then elements on opposite sides have a distance of n. Here n=diam(G)+1.
Terrell said:
how i understood: A path "around" the cycle creates a longer path than the shortest path between x and y in G. Therefore, this shortest path P is not a subgraph of the shortest cycle C.
If you limit the paths to parts of the cycle, you might make a detour, sure, and there are conditions where you certainly make a detour for some elements. That's the point that leads to the contradiction later.
Terrell said:
Question: why does P contain a C-path xPy if it is not a subgraph of C?
I'm a bit confused by the phrasing here, but I think the idea should get clear. We replace the longer path in C between x and y by the shorter path found above.

Likes Terrell
mfb said:
If you have a cycle with 2n elements, then elements on opposite sides have a distance of n. Here n=diam(G)+1.
If you limit the paths to parts of the cycle, you might make a detour, sure, and there are conditions where you certainly make a detour for some elements. That's the point that leads to the contradiction later.
I'm a bit confused by the phrasing here, but I think the idea should get clear. We replace the longer path in C between x and y by the shorter path found above.
thank you! i have diestel's free version of his book. the newer version might have better phrasing

I don't have the book, so I don't see the full proof, but the elements shown here seem to have a problem. We cannot guarantee that the shorter path P between X and Y does not contain elements of both "sides" of C. If it does, we cannot easily replace one part of C by this shorter path. That needs some more thought.

mfb said:
another question. why would it be valid to make an assumption that "In G, these two vertices have lesser distance,"?
mfb said:
I don't have the book, so I don't see the full proof, but the elements shown here seem to have a problem. We cannot guarantee that the shorter path P between X and Y does not contain elements of both "sides" of C. If it does, we cannot easily replace one part of C by this shorter path. That needs some more thought.
I am not sure what you mean by sides of C. My follow up question is how is it valid to assume that "In G, these two vertices have lesser distance"? I think that it might not be true for all cases of graph G. Can we even draw a graph that has girth of 2diam(G) + 2?

mfb said:
I don't have the book, so I don't see the full proof
In fact, that is the entire proof in the book.

Terrell said:
another question. why would it be valid to make an assumption that "In G, these two vertices have lesser distance,"?
The distance is at most diam(G) by definition of diam(G).
Terrell said:
I am not sure what you mean by sides of C.
For ever pair x,y of vertices in C, C has two paths connecting them.
Terrell said:
Can we even draw a graph that has girth of 2diam(G) + 2?
We can find such a circle in general, but it won't be the shortest circle.

mfb said:
For ever pair x,y of vertices in C, C has two paths connecting them
but since the shorter path P connecting vertices x,y won't be a subgraph of C, then it won't share elements with cycle C.. right?

mfb said:
We can find such a circle in general, but it won't be the shortest circle.
i can draw g(G)=<2diam(G)+1, because it's a triangle but i can't draw 2diam(G) + 2 because when the girth increases, so does the diameter of the graph - i think that's where the contradiction reveals itself

Terrell said:
but since the shorter path P connecting vertices x,y won't be a subgraph of C, then it won't share elements with cycle C.. right?
It is not a subgraph: it has elements outside C.
That does not mean all elements have to be outside C.

The overall conclusion is correct, of course, but I'm not sure about the steps the proof takes.

Likes Terrell
mfb said:
It is not a subgraph: it has elements outside C.
That does not mean all elements have to be outside C.

The overall conclusion is correct, of course, but I'm not sure about the steps the proof takes.
understood!

Related to Every graph GG containing a cycle satisfies g(G)≤2d+1

1. What is g(G)?

g(G) refers to the girth of a graph G, which is the length of the shortest cycle in the graph. In other words, it is the smallest number of edges that must be traversed in order to return to the starting vertex.

2. What is a cycle in a graph?

A cycle in a graph is a path that starts and ends at the same vertex, and does not contain any repeated edges or vertices. In other words, it is a closed loop in the graph.

3. What does it mean for a graph to contain a cycle?

A graph containing a cycle means that there is at least one closed loop present in the graph. This indicates that there is a path that starts and ends at the same vertex, and does not contain any repeated edges or vertices.

4. What is the significance of the inequality g(G)≤2d+1?

This inequality states that the girth of a graph G will always be less than or equal to 2 times the diameter of the graph plus 1. In other words, the length of the shortest cycle in a graph will never exceed 2 times the longest possible path between any two vertices, plus 1.

5. How does this statement impact the study of graphs?

This statement provides a useful upper bound for the girth of a graph, which can help in the analysis and classification of different types of graphs. It also helps in understanding the relationship between the girth and diameter of a graph, and provides a useful tool for solving problems related to cycles in graphs.