Proof of Euler Tour in Graphs: In-degree($v$)=Out-Degree($v$)

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euler
In summary, the conversation is about proving that a graph $G$ has an Euler tour if and only if in-degree($v$) = out-degree($v$) for each vertex $v \in V$. The first part of the proof shows that if $G$ has an Euler tour, then in-degree($v$) = out-degree($v$) for each vertex $v \in V$. This is because a complex cycle can be decomposed into a set of simple cycles, where each edge in the Euler tour is part of one or more simple cycles. The second part of the proof shows that if in-degree($v$) = out-degree($v$) for each vertex $v \in V$,
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I am looking at the proof that $G$ has an Euler tour iff in-degree($v$)=out-degree($v$), that I found at this site: https://www.cs.duke.edu/courses/fall09/cps230/hws/hw3/headsol.pdf (Problem 2)A simple cycle is a path in a graph that starts and ends at the same vertex without passing through the same vertex more than once.

A complex cycle, is a cycle that passes through the same vertex more than once. We can easily decompose a complex cycle to a set of simple cycles by breaking up the cycle at those points where the cycle passes through the same vertex more than once.
As the first part of our proof, we will prove that if $G$ has an Euler tour, in-degree($v$)=out-degree($v$) for each vertex $v \in V$.

We have already established that a comlex cycle can be decomposed to a collection of simple cycles. However vertices on a simple cycle have in-degree($v$)=out-degree($v$)=1.

Since each edge in a complex cycle, and therefore in an Euler tour, is part of one or more simple cycles it will have in-degree($v$)=out-degree($v$).

• Could you give me an example of a complex cycle that is decomposed to a set of simple cycles, where we can see that in-degree($v$)=out-degree($v$)?
The second part of our proof requires us to prove that if in-degree($v$)=out-degree($v$) for each vertex $v \in V$, $G$ has an Euler-tour.

Let $C$ be the complex cycle involving the most edges in $G$.

In order for $G$ not to be an Euler tour, there must be some vertices that $C$ passes through ( since the graph is connected ) but does not exhaust all edges. We have already established that the vertices of a complex cycle have the property that in-degree($v$)=out-degree($v$). Therefore $G'=G-C$ will also have that property. If a connected component in a graph has in-degree($v$)=out-degree($v$) then it contains at least one cycle $C'$. However this contradicts our initial hypothesis that $C$ is the cycle involving the most edges in $G$ since we would construct a larger cycle by starting at some common vertex of $C$ and $C'$, traversing all of $C$s edges and then $C'$s edges. Therefore $C$ is an Euler tour.

• First of all, it says that "In order for $G$ not to be an Euler tour, there must be some vertices that $C$ passes through ( since the graph is connected ) but does not exhaust all edges. "

I haven't understood why we have to show that $G$ does not exhaust all edges. In order for $G$ not to be an Euler tour, couldn't it also hold that $G$ traverses an edge more than once?

Then it says that "We have already established that the vertices of a complex cycle have the property that in-degree($v$)=out-degree($v$). Therefore $G'=G-C$ will also have that property."

Why will $G'=G-C$ be a complex cycle, although $G$ isn't necessarily?

Also, could you explain me why it holds that: " If a connected component in a graph has in-degree($v$)=out-degree($v$) then it contains at least one cycle $C'$."

Finally, could you explain me the contradiction?

Technology news on Phys.org
I have also asked it here: The graph has an Euler tour iff in-degree($v$)=out-degree($v$) and I have understood it.

I also want to describe an algorithm that runs in time $O(E)$ and finds an Euler tour of $G$, if it exists.
(Hint: Merge edge-disjoint cycles.)
If we apply DFS, we will get a set of cycles formed by disjoint sets of edges, right? But how can we know if it holds that in-degree(v)=out-degree(v), for all vertices in $V$?

Do we have to do something like that?

Code:
Initialization(G)
    1. for each edge in G.E 
    2.      e.color=WHITE
    3. DFS(G)

DFS(G)
    1. for each vertex u in G.V
    2.      u.color=WHITE
    3. for each vertex u in G.V
    4.      if u.color==WHITE
    5.            DFS-VISIT(G, u)

DFS-VISIT(G, u)
        1. u.color=GRAY
        2. for each v in G.Adj[u]
        3.      if (v.color==WHITE && (u,v).color==WHITE)
        4.          (u,v).color=GRAY
        5.          DFS-VISIT(G, v) 
        6. u.color=BLACK

Related to Proof of Euler Tour in Graphs: In-degree($v$)=Out-Degree($v$)

1. What is an Euler Tour in graphs?

An Euler Tour in a graph is a path that visits every vertex and edge in the graph exactly once, starting and ending at the same vertex. It is also known as an Eulerian circuit.

2. What is the significance of in-degree and out-degree in the proof of an Euler Tour?

In-degree and out-degree refer to the number of incoming and outgoing edges of a vertex in a directed graph. In the proof of an Euler Tour, it is important to note that for a graph to have an Euler Tour, every vertex must have equal in-degree and out-degree.

3. Can a graph have an Euler Tour if it has vertices with unequal in-degree and out-degree?

No, a graph cannot have an Euler Tour if it has vertices with unequal in-degree and out-degree. This is because in an Euler Tour, every vertex must have equal in-degree and out-degree, which ensures that the tour can visit every edge exactly once.

4. How is the proof of an Euler Tour in graphs related to the concept of connectedness?

The proof of an Euler Tour in graphs is related to the concept of connectedness because for a graph to have an Euler Tour, it must be connected. This means that there is a path between any two vertices in the graph, ensuring that the tour can visit every vertex and edge.

5. Are there any other conditions for a graph to have an Euler Tour besides equal in-degree and out-degree?

Yes, there are other conditions for a graph to have an Euler Tour. In addition to equal in-degree and out-degree, the graph must also be connected, and all vertices must have even degree. If a graph does not meet these conditions, it cannot have an Euler Tour.