Evaluating "Text X" for High School Honors/AP Course

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a text for a high school Honors/AP course and the opinion of the text and its online version. The speaker suggests checking Amazon for ratings, and mentions alternative physics books at Openstax.org. The speaker also mentions that physical copies are available and comparable in price to the online version. They also suggest printing select chapters from Openstax to save money for the school. The conversation ends with a comment on the high cost of college bookstore books.
David L Scott
I am considering this text for my high school Honors/AP course. Do you have an opinion of the text and its online Wiley PLUS with ORION Advantage?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can’t comment on this book. Have you checked amazon for ratings?

With respect to physics, there are a couple of books at Openstax.org at this same level. You could use them for supplemental material.

There are two versions for the college physics book one for college physics and one for AP level and there’s a calculus based university three volume level.

https://openstax.org/details/books/college-physics

https://openstax.org/details/books/college-physics-ap-courses

https://openstax.org/details/books/university-physics-volume-1

Thanks. I have seen and used Openstax and I think they are great. My students really prefer a physical text and resist an online text. I know pdf and physical versions are available.

Likes jedishrfu
The physical book copies are comparable in price at about $50 a copy.

If you printed select chapters from openstax for your students and got them bound you might save some bucks for the school.

It’s funny how the same college level book in a college bookstore is on the order of $250 to $300.

Related to Evaluating "Text X" for High School Honors/AP Course

1. What criteria should be used to evaluate "Text X" for a high school honors/AP course?

The criteria for evaluating "Text X" for a high school honors/AP course depend on the subject and the specific course requirements. However, some general criteria may include the complexity and depth of the content, relevance to the course's learning objectives, and the academic rigor of the material. It is also important to consider the readability and accessibility of the text for high school students.

2. How can I determine if "Text X" is appropriate for a high school honors/AP course?

To determine if "Text X" is appropriate for a high school honors/AP course, you can start by reviewing the publisher's information and the book's table of contents. This will give you an overview of the topics and level of difficulty covered in the text. You can also read reviews from other educators or consult with colleagues who have used the text in their courses. Additionally, you can preview the text yourself to assess the content's suitability for your course.

3. Is "Text X" aligned with the high school honors/AP curriculum standards?

It is essential to ensure that "Text X" is aligned with the high school honors/AP curriculum standards to provide students with a comprehensive and rigorous education. To determine alignment, you can review the course's curriculum standards and compare them to the content covered in the text. You can also consult with other educators or the publisher for information on alignment.

4. What are some potential challenges that may arise when using "Text X" in a high school honors/AP course?

Some potential challenges that may arise when using "Text X" in a high school honors/AP course include the level of difficulty of the content, the accessibility of the text for students with diverse learning needs, and the time constraints for covering the material within the course's duration. It is also essential to consider potential biases or sensitive topics covered in the text and how they may impact students.

5. How can I adapt "Text X" to meet the needs of students in a high school honors/AP course?

Adapting "Text X" to meet the needs of students in a high school honors/AP course may involve creating additional resources or activities to supplement the text's content. You can also modify the reading assignments or provide additional support for students who may struggle with the text's difficulty level. It is also important to differentiate instruction and provide opportunities for students to engage with the text in various ways, such as through discussions, projects, or writing assignments.