Evaluating integrals with infinity as boundary

In summary, the conversation discussed the evaluation of the integral \int_{-\infty}^\infty x e^{-|x|} \, dx and how to handle limits involving infinity. The participants suggested different approaches, such as splitting the integral into two parts and using l'Hopital's rule. Ultimately, it was determined that the integral is equal to zero due to the integrand being an odd function.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

Please take a look at this:

[tex]\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {x \cdot \exp } \left( { - \left| x \right|} \right){\rm{d}}x = \left. {\left( { - \exp \left( { - \left| x \right|} \right) \cdot x} \right)} \right|_{ - \infty }^\infty + \int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\exp \left( { - \left| x \right|} \right){\rm{d}}x}[/tex]

When evaluating with infinity, does the first time equal zero or infinity? I mean does the exponential function "win" (and then the terms goes to zero) or does x win (and the term the n goes to infinity)?

The integral is supposed to equal zero.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would split it into two integrals -infinity to zero (where the integrand is x*exp(x)) and zero to +infinity (where the integrand is x*exp(-x)) just to get rid of the absolute value. Its very tricky to handle otherwise as your failed attempt shows. But you don't really even have to do that. f(x)=x*exp(-|x|) is an odd function (i.e. f(-x)=-f(x)). The integral of an odd function over a symmetric interval around the origin is always zero (if it exists). The plus part cancels the minus part.

Dick said:
Its very tricky to handle otherwise as your failed attempt shows.

I actually laughed when reading that - you wrote it in a funny way :smile:

The argument with the function being odd is good - but just so I have it in my "toolbox" for later, what would I do when I have to evaluate limits like that? What function "wins"?

Thanks.

The antiderivative for positive x is F(x)=(-x-1)e^(-x). So for the positive part do F(infinity)-F(0)=0-(-1)=1. (For the infinity part you'll need to take a limit as x -> infinity (-x-1)/e^x, use l'Hopital, you'll find the exponential 'wins' - is that what you mean?). For negative x the antiderivative is F(x)=(x-1)e^(x). F(0)-F(-infinity)=-1-0=-1. Plus and minus parts cancel. Does that help?

Ahh, l'Hopital [The Hospital Rule, as my teacher used to say] - I had totally forgotten it.

I solved it - thanks!

You could also try this.

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty x e^{-|x|} \, dx = \int_{-\infty}^0 x e^{-|x|} \,dx
+\int_0^\infty x e^{-|x|} \, dx
[/tex]

Since [tex] x [/tex] is always positive in the second integral, it is simply

[tex]
\int_0^\infty x e^{-x} \, dx
[/tex]

In the first integral, since [tex] x [/tex] is always negative,

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^0 x e^{-|x|} \, dx = \int_{-\infty}^0 x e^x \,dx
[/tex]

Set u = -x; the second integral becomes

[tex]
\int_{\infty}^0 (-u) e^{-u} \, (-du) = \int_{-\infty}^0 u e^{-u} \, du = -\int_0^\infty u e^{-u} \, du
[/tex]

The original integral is the sum of these two integrals, and since they are negatives of each other, their sum is zero.
This is a long use of the fact that the integrand is an odd function of [tex] x [/tex], but the idea of splitting a single integral at zero can be used in other problems.

Related to Evaluating integrals with infinity as boundary

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value or quantity of a function.

How do you evaluate an integral?

To evaluate an integral, you need to use a specific set of rules and techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You also need to know the boundaries of the integral, which represent the starting and ending points on the graph.

What is infinity as a boundary in an integral?

Infinity as a boundary in an integral means that the upper or lower limit of the integral is infinite. This can happen when the function being integrated has an asymptote, or when the integral represents an infinite series.

How do you handle infinity as a boundary in an integral?

To handle infinity as a boundary in an integral, you need to use a technique called improper integration. This involves taking the limit of the integral as the upper or lower limit approaches infinity, and then evaluating the integral using the appropriate rules and techniques.

Are there any limitations to evaluating integrals with infinity as a boundary?

Yes, there are limitations to evaluating integrals with infinity as a boundary. One limitation is that the function being integrated must approach zero as the upper or lower limit approaches infinity. Additionally, some techniques, such as substitution, may not work for integrals with infinity as a boundary.