Evaluating integral with delta function (Fourier Transform)

In summary: So we have ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (x^3 - 3) \delta (x) \, dx = 0^3 - 3 = -3##. In summary, the integrals can be evaluated by simply plugging in the value of x at which the argument of the delta function is equal to 0. For the first example, this is at x=0, so the result is -3. For the second example, this is at x=3, so the result is -3.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

Evaluate the Following integrals

1. http://www4b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP10141fif9b428c5bab0b00005dc489hi851d28h7?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=37&w=164.&h=35.

Homework Equations

http://www4b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP23802098254f7bhefdhd00002e1e8be006773e70?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=64&w=184.&h=35.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know. please help. I don't know if the -3 is correct. it is what wolfram gave me when I typed it into paste it here. If it is correct I don't know why. I would think the x being cubed would affect the answer so that it isn't just -a[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
and http://www4f.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP18161hebeg6i2g9e2cbi0000626gc3eg86i0g2ab?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=16&w=290.&h=35. but replace the y's with x'
once again I don't know if the result given by wolfrahm is correct. I don't understand how to break this down.

All you have to do is to work out when the argument for the ##\delta## function is ##0##. Can you do that for the two examples?

PeroK said:
All you have to do is to work out when the argument for the ##\delta## function is ##0##. Can you do that for the two examples?

well that would be when x=0 right? δ(0)=0

so I would plug that into the f(x)? and get f(0^3-3)= -3
and -3^3= -27

for the next one

δ(y-x) = 0 when y=x
so: (x-3)^3

that's pretty simple. thanks!

grandpa2390 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the Following integrals

1. http://www4b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP10141fif9b428c5bab0b00005dc489hi851d28h7?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=37&w=164.&h=35.

Homework Equations

http://www4b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP23802098254f7bhefdhd00002e1e8be006773e70?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=64&w=184.&h=35.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know. please help. I don't know if the -3 is correct. it is what wolfram gave me when I typed it into paste it here. If it is correct I don't know why. I would think the x being cubed would affect the answer so that it isn't just -a[/B]

Why would you think that? ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \delta(x-a) \, dx = f(a)## [Note: NOT what you wrote under Heading 2.!] So, for ##a = 0## and ##f(x) = x^3 -3## we get the answer ##f(0) = (0^3 - 3)##.

Ray Vickson said:
Why would you think that? ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \delta(x-a) \, dx = f(a)## [Note: NOT what you wrote under Heading 2.!] So, for ##a = 0## and ##f(x) = x^3 -3## we get the answer ##f(0) = (0^3 - 3)##.

They are both valid. My professor gave us both. to make my question less confusing and wordy, I wrote the one that I thought applied. but they are both different ways of expressing the same thing.

find where δ(x) = δ(0)

at x=0
f(0-a) = f(-a)

or in the equation you posted, x=a and f(x)=f(a)

it's the same thing. apply it to my problem. the same way.

so we get 0^3-3=-3

Last edited:
grandpa2390 said:
They are both valid. My professor gave us both. to make my question less confusing and wordy, I wrote the one that I thought applied. but they are both different ways of expressing the same thing.

find where δ(x) = δ(0)

at x=0
f(0-a) = f(-a)

so we get 0^3-3=-3
grandpa2390 said:

find where δ(x) = δ(0)

at x=0
f(0-a) = f(-a)

so we get 0^3-3=-3

Sorry: I mis-typed it. What I meant was ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \delta (x-a) \, dx = f(a)##, not what I wrote. Your equation was correct, and I had made a stupid mistake.

Likes grandpa2390

Related to Evaluating integral with delta function (Fourier Transform)

1. What is a delta function in the context of evaluating integrals?

The delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific location. It is often used in integrals to model a sudden or instantaneous change in a physical system.

2. How is the delta function related to the Fourier transform?

The delta function is closely related to the Fourier transform, as it is the Fourier transform of a constant function. This means that when the Fourier transform is applied to a delta function, it results in a constant value. In other words, the delta function acts as a unit impulse in the frequency domain.

3. What is the purpose of using the delta function in evaluating integrals?

The delta function is used in evaluating integrals because it allows us to simplify complex integrals by using its properties. For example, the delta function has the property that it is equal to zero everywhere except at the point where it is located, making it useful for modeling point masses or impulses in physical systems.

4. How do we evaluate integrals involving the delta function?

To evaluate integrals involving the delta function, we can use the sifting property of the delta function, which states that the integral of the delta function multiplied by another function is equal to the value of that function at the point where the delta function is located. We can also use the convolution property of the Fourier transform to simplify the integral.

5. Can the delta function be used to evaluate integrals in higher dimensions?

Yes, the delta function can be extended to higher dimensions, where it is known as the Dirac delta distribution. It is defined as a functional that maps a test function to the value of that function at a specific point. It can be used to evaluate integrals in multiple dimensions, such as in 3D or n-dimensional space.