Evaluating Definite Integral $I$

In summary, a definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve on a specific interval. To evaluate it, you must find the antiderivative of the function, plug in the upper and lower limits, and subtract the resulting values. The main difference between a definite and indefinite integral is the presence of specific limits, with a definite integral resulting in a numerical value. Definite integrals can also be negative if the function has values below the x-axis. In real life, definite integrals have practical applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.
juantheron
Evaluation of $\displaystyle \int^{\frac{1}{2}}_{0}\frac{1}{(1-2x^2)\sqrt{1-x}}dx$

$\bf{Try::}$ Let $\displaystyle I = \int^{\frac{1}{2}}_{0}\frac{1}{(1-2x^2)\sqrt{1-x}}dx$ Put $1-x=t^2\;,$ Then $dx=-2tdt$

So $\displaystyle I = \int^{1}_{\frac{1}{2}}\frac{2t}{\left[1-2(1-t^2)^2\right]t}dt = -2\int^{1}_{\frac{1}{2}}\frac{1}{2t^4-4t^2+1}dt$

Now how can i proceed further, Help me

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
Evaluation of $\displaystyle \int^{\frac{1}{2}}_{0}\frac{1}{(1-2x^2)\sqrt{1-x}}dx$

$\bf{Try::}$ Let $\displaystyle I = \int^{\frac{1}{2}}_{0}\frac{1}{(1-2x^2)\sqrt{1-x}}dx$ Put $1-x=t^2\;,$ Then $dx=-2tdt$

So $\displaystyle I = \int^{1}_{\frac{1}{2}}\frac{2t}{\left[1-2(1-t^2)^2\right]t}dt = -2\int^{1}_{\frac{1}{2}}\frac{1}{2t^4-4t^2+1}dt$

Now how can i proceed further
This should work in principle, though I wouldn't want to try to do it by hand:
$$\begin{aligned}2t^4-4t^2+1 &= (2t^2-1)^2 -2t^4 \\ &= \bigl((2+\sqrt2)t^2 - 1\bigr)\bigl((2-\sqrt2)t^2 - 1\bigr) \\ &= \bigl(\sqrt{2 + \sqrt2}t + 1\bigr)\bigl(\sqrt{2 + \sqrt2}t - 1\bigr)\bigl(\sqrt{2 - \sqrt2}t + 1\bigr)\bigl(\sqrt{2 - \sqrt2}t - 1\bigr) \end{aligned}$$ Now use partial fractions!

Related to Evaluating Definite Integral $I$

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve on a specific interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has a lower and upper limit that determines the interval of integration.

2. How do you evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, you must first find the antiderivative of the function being integrated. Then, plug in the upper and lower limits of integration and subtract the resulting values to find the area under the curve.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific upper and lower limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. An indefinite integral results in a general antiderivative, while a definite integral gives a specific numerical value.

4. Can a definite integral be negative?

Yes, a definite integral can be negative if the function being integrated has values below the x-axis. This indicates that the area under the curve will be subtracted from the total area, resulting in a negative value.

5. What is the significance of a definite integral in real life?

A definite integral has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object given its velocity function, the total work done by a force, or the total profit earned by a company over a certain period of time.