Evaluating a Limit with Cosine Functions

In summary, we are evaluating the limit of the sum of cosines as n approaches infinity. This can be done by using trigonometric identities or by representing cosine as the real part of a complex exponential. However, there may be a problem with this approach as the sum is discrete while the limit is continuous. This may not have a practical application and is purely a mathematical concept.
sit.think.solve
Evaluate the following limit:
[tex]
\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1+\cos(\frac{x}{n})+...+\cos(\frac{n-1}{n}x)}{n}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sit.think.solve! :smile:

Hint: learn your trigonometric identities …

what is cosA + cosB? :wink:

You can write the sum on closed form if you think about cosine as the real part of the complex exponential.

There might be a problem here. The sum is discrete while the limit is continuous. Is there any practical application here or is this just math?

Thanks for the tips,

having some trouble trying to reduce the sums though:

Presumably I should add,

[tex]
\cos(\frac{0}{n}x)+\cos(\frac{n-1}{n}x)
[/tex]
[tex]
\cos(\frac{1}{n}x)+\cos(\frac{n-2}{n}x)
[/tex]

and so on, but then what would be the last term in such sum? In fact, can I do sums like this?

Like this
[tex]
\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \cos{\frac{kx}{n}}=\Re{\left(\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \exp{i\frac{kx}{n}}\right)}
[/tex]

which is a geometric series. I don't think it converges to anything particular as n->infinity, but it is bounded when x is not equal to zero...

Last edited:
Hi sit.think.solve! :smile:
sit.think.solve said:
… Presumably I should add,

[tex]
\cos(\frac{0}{n}x)+\cos(\frac{n-1}{n}x)
[/tex]
[tex]
\cos(\frac{1}{n}x)+\cos(\frac{n-2}{n}x)
[/tex]

and so on, but then what would be the last term in such sum? In fact, can I do sums like this?

Yes, of course you can …

and you should get a common factor which you can then put outside a bracket.

Alternatively, use daudaudaudau's :smile: method, and remember that each term inside the ∑ is (eix/n)k :wink:

Related to Evaluating a Limit with Cosine Functions

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics refers to the value that a function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to describe the behavior of a function at a specific point.

2. How do cosine functions relate to limits?

Cosine functions are used to model periodic phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the position of a point on a rotating wheel. When evaluating a limit with cosine functions, we are interested in finding the value that the function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to a specific point.

3. What is the process for evaluating a limit with cosine functions?

The process for evaluating a limit with cosine functions involves substituting the value we are approaching into the function, simplifying the expression, and taking the limit as the input values approach the specified value. This can be done algebraically or graphically using a table or calculator.

4. What are some common properties of limits involving cosine functions?

Some common properties of limits involving cosine functions include the limit of a sum or difference of two cosine functions is equal to the sum or difference of the limits, the limit of a product or quotient of cosine functions is equal to the product or quotient of the limits, and the limit of a composite function involving cosine is equal to the composite of the limits.

5. How can evaluating limits with cosine functions be used in real-world applications?

Evaluating limits with cosine functions can be used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the maximum height of a roller coaster, determining the optimal angle for a ramp, or predicting the position of a satellite in orbit. It is also used in engineering, physics, and other fields to model and analyze periodic phenomena.