Evaluate the Following Line Integral Part 1

In summary: If you keep one variable constant, say x, then you'd have y=\sqrt{1-x^2}.So your integral becomes:\int_{x=1}^{x=-1} \cos(x)dx + \sin(\sqrt{1-x^2}) \cdot d(\sqrt{1-x^2})\int_{x=1}^{x=-1} \cos(x)dx + \sin(\sqrt{1-x^2}) \cdot {1 \over 2\sqrt{1-x^2}} \cdot -2x \cdot dxI recommend solving the second part of the
bugatti79

Homework Statement

[itex]\int_{c}cos (x)dx+sin(y)dy[/itex] where c consist of the top half of the circle x^2+y^2=1 from (1,0) to (-1,0)

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I parameterise x=t and then y becomes [itex]y= (1-t^2)^{1/2}[/itex]...? Replace the corresponding dx and dy and then integrate between the limits?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bugatti79! :smile:

Well, yes, you have to parametrize to calculate the result.
But you can integrate before you parametrize.

That's one way to do it. Another is to think of this in polar coordinates with r= 1. In polar coordinates, [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] so on the unit circle, [itex]x= cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= sin(\theta)[/itex]. These are the "standard" parameterizations of the unit circle.

Of course, going form (1, 0) to (-1, 0), [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]. You will need to determine dx and dy in terms of [itex]d\theta[/itex].

Thanks guys,
I think the notes only show parameterisation etc. I will take note of the other option. I suspect integrating first before parameterising is easier. Will try it later...

HallsofIvy said:
That's one way to do it. Another is to think of this in polar coordinates with r= 1. In polar coordinates, [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] so on the unit circle, [itex]x= cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= sin(\theta)[/itex]. These are the "standard" parameterizations of the unit circle.

Of course, going form (1, 0) to (-1, 0), [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]. You will need to determine dx and dy in terms of [itex]d\theta[/itex].

Ok, I arrive at

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi }cos(-r sin(\theta) )d\theta+ sin(r cos(\theta))d\theta[/itex]

...this doesn't look right...?

bugatti79 said:
Ok, I arrive at

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi }cos(-r sin(\theta) )d\theta+ sin(r cos(\theta))d\theta[/itex]

...this doesn't look right...?

I'm afraid you didn't substitute properly.
It should be:

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi }cos(r \cos(\theta) ) \cdot -r \sin(\theta) d\theta+ \sin(r \sin(\theta)) \cdot r \cos(\theta) d\theta[/itex]

Furthermore, you should substitute r=1.

But rather than doing this, I recommend integrating first, then substituting the parameterisation (one or the other), and then calculate the result.

How would you integrate [itex]\int \cos(x)dx[/itex]?

I like Serena said:
I'm afraid you didn't substitute properly.
It should be:

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi }cos(r \cos(\theta) ) \cdot -r \sin(\theta) d\theta+ \sin(r \sin(\theta)) \cdot r \cos(\theta) d\theta[/itex]

Furthermore, you should substitute r=1
That was an error I made but I continue on and use substitution for the integral

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi }-cos^2(\theta) sin(\theta) d\theta + cos (\theta) sin^2(\theta) d\theta[/itex]

I let [itex]u=cos \theta[/itex] for the first integral and [itex]u=sin \theta[/itex] for second integral. I get an answer of -2/3...?

I like Serena said:
But rather than doing this, I recommend integrating first, then substituting the parameterisation (one or the other), and then calculate the result.

How would you integrate [itex]\int \cos(x)dx[/itex]?

If I integrate first then I get sin(x) -cos(y) to be evaluated to some limits...not sure how to proceed..

In addition to this, in my notes it states not to "calculate"

[itex]\int f_1(x,y,z)dx+f_2(x,y,z)dy+f_3(x,y,z)dz[/itex] etc with respect to its variable while keeping the other 2 constant...I suspect it is ok to do in this example because each integral is only a function of one variable...?

bugatti79 said:
That was an error I made but I continue on and use substitution for the integral

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi }-cos^2(\theta) sin(\theta) d\theta + cos (\theta) sin^2(\theta) d\theta[/itex]

I let [itex]u=cos \theta[/itex] for the first integral and [itex]u=sin \theta[/itex] for second integral. I get an answer of -2/3...?

Uhhm... did you know that cos(cos(θ))≠cos2(θ)?
bugatti79 said:
If I integrate first then I get sin(x) -cos(y) to be evaluated to some limits...not sure how to proceed..

With your original parametrization you would have:
[tex]\left.sin(x(t)) - cos(y(t))\right|_{t=1}^{t=-1}[/tex]
or with HoI's parametrization
[tex]\left.sin(x(θ)) - cos(y(θ))\right|_{θ=0}^{θ=\pi}[/tex]
bugatti79 said:
In addition to this, in my notes it states not to "calculate"

[itex]\int f_1(x,y,z)dx+f_2(x,y,z)dy+f_3(x,y,z)dz[/itex] etc with respect to its variable while keeping the other 2 constant...I suspect it is ok to do in this example because each integral is only a function of one variable...?

If you keep one variable constant, say x, then you'd have [itex]y=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex].
So your integral becomes:
[tex]\int_{x=1}^{x=-1} \cos(x)dx + \sin(\sqrt{1-x^2}) \cdot d(\sqrt{1-x^2})[/tex]
[tex]\int_{x=1}^{x=-1} \cos(x)dx + \sin(\sqrt{1-x^2}) \cdot {1 \over 2\sqrt{1-x^2}} \cdot -2x \cdot dx[/tex]

I recommend solving the second part of the integral with the substitution [itex]y=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]. :wink:

I like Serena said:
Uhhm... did you know that cos(cos(θ))≠cos2(θ)?

With your original parametrization you would have:
[tex]\left.sin(x(t)) - cos(y(t))\right|_{t=1}^{t=-1}[/tex]
Oh, I over looked that substitution mistake! Thanks!

How is yours evaluated? The sine or cos of 1 is not correct...?

So based on my comment on the way NOT to calculate...is it okay to do here because we are only dealing with one variable per integral?

I like Serena said:
or with HoI's parametrization
[tex]\left.sin(x(θ)) - cos(y(θ))\right|_{θ=0}^{θ=\pi}[/tex]

I get the answer 2 using HoI's method.
Attempt on difficult integral will follow.

bugatti79 said:
Oh, I over looked that substitution mistake! Thanks!

How is yours evaluated? The sine or cos of 1 is not correct...?

You have:
[tex]\left.\sin(x(t)) - \cos(y(t))\right|_{t=1}^{t=-1}[/tex]
with [itex]x(t)=t[/itex] and [itex]y(t)=\sqrt{1-t^2}[/itex]

Substituting:
[tex]\left.\sin(t) - \cos(\sqrt{1-t^2})\right|_{t=1}^{t=-1}[/tex]

So yes, you would get sin(1) in there.

You would get:
[tex](\sin(-1) - \cos(\sqrt{1-(-1)^2})) - (\sin(1) - \cos(\sqrt{1-1^2})) = -2 \sin(1)[/tex]
bugatti79 said:
So based on my comment on the way NOT to calculate...is it okay to do here because we are only dealing with one variable per integral?

I'm not sure what it means NOT to calculate.
Does it mean you should not actually integrate or something?
bugatti79 said:
I get the answer 2 using HoI's method.
Attempt on difficult integral will follow.

I like Serena said:
You have:
[tex]\left.\sin(x(t)) - \cos(y(t))\right|_{t=1}^{t=-1}[/tex]
with [itex]x(t)=t[/itex] and [itex]y(t)=\sqrt{1-t^2}[/itex]

Substituting:
[tex]\left.\sin(t) - \cos(\sqrt{1-t^2})\right|_{t=1}^{t=-1}[/tex]

So yes, you would get sin(1) in there.

You would get:
[tex](\sin(-1) - \cos(\sqrt{1-(-1)^2})) - (\sin(1) - \cos(\sqrt{1-1^2})) = -2 \sin(1)[/tex]
How would -2sin(1) evaluate to 2?

I like Serena said:
I'm not sure what it means NOT to calculate.
Does it mean you should not actually integrate or something?

Yes, it says

"you should never calculate

[itex]\int f_1(x,y,z)dx+f_2(x,y,z)dy+f_3(x,y,z)dz[/itex] by integrating f_1(x,y,z) wrt x (treating y+z like constants), same for f_2(x,y,z) etc. THis will give wrong answer..."

bugatti79 said:
How would -2sin(1) evaluate to 2?

It doesn't. Why should it? :confused:

bugatti79 said:
Yes, it says

"you should never calculate

[itex]\int f_1(x,y,z)dx+f_2(x,y,z)dy+f_3(x,y,z)dz[/itex] by integrating f_1(x,y,z) wrt x (treating y+z like constants), same for f_2(x,y,z) etc. THis will give wrong answer..."

Ah, now I get it.
Indeed you can not do the integration wrt to 1 variable and expect it to work out.

And yes, in this case it was possible, because the integral could be separated into separate integrals with only 1 variable.

I like Serena said:
It doesn't. Why should it? :confused:

But arent the 3 different methods suppose to yield the saem answer...ie your method as in post #2 should yield the same as HoI..right? :-)

bugatti79 said:
But arent the 3 different methods suppose to yield the saem answer...ie your method as in post #2 should yield the same as HoI..right? :-)

Of course.
Any reason to think that it doesn't?

There is a much easier way to do this problem. Call C1 the given curve, C2 the straight line segment from [-1,0] to [1,0], and let C be [itex]C_1\cup C_2[/itex]. Since you have the hypotheses for Green's Theorem you have:

[tex]0 = \int_C \cos x\, dx + \sin y\, dy = \left(\int_{C_1}+\int_{C_2}\right)( \cos x\, dx + \sin x\, dy)[/tex]

[tex]\int_{C_1} \cos x\, dx + \sin y\, dy = - \int_{C_2} \cos x\, dx + \sin y\, dy
= -\int_{-1}^1\cos x\, dx[/tex]

@LCKurtz:

Uhh... :rolleyes: Aren't you glossing over the fact the the curl of the function over the surface enclosed by C is zero in this case? :confused:

I like Serena said:
Of course.
Any reason to think that it doesn't?

Im afraid I don't know. In your method, we have integrated wrt x and used the x coordinates...so it seems right is it not?

For the difficult integral I end up with

[itex]sin(x)|_1^{-1} + (-cos(1-x^2)^{1/2})|_1^{-1}[/itex]

bugatti79 said:
Im afraid I don't know. In your method, we have integrated wrt x and used the x coordinates...so it seems right is it not?

Yes... :rolleyes:

bugatti79 said:

This doesn't give HoI answer of 2 either. I give up. I least I get nearly full marks :-) Thanks.

BTW..when I say I nearly get full marks...'if' it was an exam. It is just exercises :-)

bugatti79 said:
This doesn't give HoI answer of 2 either. I give up. I least I get nearly full marks :-) Thanks.

BTW..when I say I nearly get full marks...'if' it was an exam. It is just exercises :-)

Ah well, with HoI's parametrization you get:
[tex]\left.\sin(x(θ)) - \cos(y(θ))\right|_{θ=0}^{θ=\pi}[/tex]
[tex]\left.\sin(\cos(θ)) - \cos(\sin(θ))\right|_{θ=0}^{θ=\pi}[/tex]
[tex](\sin(\cos(\pi)) - \cos(\sin(\pi))) - (\sin(\cos(0)) - \cos(\sin(0))) = -2\sin(1)[/tex]

I like Serena said:
Ah well, with HoI's parametrization you get:
[tex]\left.\sin(x(θ)) - \cos(y(θ))\right|_{θ=0}^{θ=\pi}[/tex]
[tex]\left.\sin(\cos(θ)) - \cos(\sin(θ))\right|_{θ=0}^{θ=\pi}[/tex]
[tex](\sin(\cos(\pi)) - \cos(\sin(\pi))) - (\sin(\cos(0)) - \cos(\sin(0))) = -2\sin(1)[/tex]

uh oh...ok. I see my mistake! I need to wake up! Thanks I.L.S!

You're welcome! :smile:

I like Serena said:
@LCKurtz:

Uhh... :rolleyes: Aren't you glossing over the fact the the curl of the function over the surface enclosed by C is zero in this case? :confused:

No. That is why the circuit integral is 0. Perhaps I should have included more detail about Green's theorem:

[tex]\oint_C Pdx + Qdy = \iint_R Q_x-P_y dA[/tex]

which is 0 in this problem since (sin y)x = (cos x)y = 0.

LCKurtz said:
No. That is why the circuit integral is 0. Perhaps I should have included more detail about Green's theorem:

[tex]\oint_C Pdx + Qdy = \iint_R Q_x-P_y dA[/tex]

which is 0 in this problem since (sin y)x = (cos x)y = 0.

Yes, this is what I meant.
This needs to be mentioned.
(And I am not going to explain it to the OP at this time! :wink:)

Related to Evaluate the Following Line Integral Part 1

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the total value of a function along a given path. It is used to find the total value of a vector field or scalar field over a curve in a two- or three-dimensional space.

2. How do you evaluate a line integral?

The general formula for evaluating a line integral is ∫C F(x,y) ds, where F(x,y) is the function being integrated and ds represents the infinitesimal length of the curve. This integral can be computed using various methods such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Green's Theorem, or Stokes' Theorem.

3. What is the difference between a line integral and a path integral?

A line integral is a specific type of path integral that is defined over a curve in a two- or three-dimensional space. Path integrals, on the other hand, can be defined over any type of path, including surfaces and higher-dimensional spaces. Line integrals are used to find the total value of a field over a curve, while path integrals are used to find the total value of a field over a higher-dimensional region.

4. What are some real-world applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to calculate work done by a force along a given path, electric and magnetic flux, and fluid flow through a curve. They are also used in fields such as computer graphics and robotics to calculate the motion of a particle along a given path.

5. How is a line integral related to a double integral?

A line integral can be viewed as a special case of a double integral, where the region of integration is reduced to a one-dimensional curve. In fact, a line integral can be computed using a double integral over a parametrized version of the curve. This relationship is described by the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals, which relates the line integral to the gradient of a function evaluated along the curve.