How Do You Calculate the Modulus and Argument of a Complex Number?

In summary: If you have a complex number ##z = a + ib##, how do you find the modulus?The modulus is found by taking the length of the vector in polar coordinates that is parallel to the real axis and the imaginary axis, and squaring it.
joelstacey
Homework Statement
For each expression, evaluate its real part, imaginary part, modulus and argument.
1. (e^(i*theta))^2
Relevant Equations
r*e^(i*theta)= r*(cos(theta) + i*sin(theta))
(e^(i*theta))^2 = (sin(theta)+i*cos(theta))^2 = cos(theta)^2 - sin(theta)^2 + 2*i*sin(theta)*cos(theta), so the real part would be: cos(theta)^2 - sin(theta)^2, and the imaginary part would be: 2*i*sin(theta)*cos(theta). But then I don't know where to start with the modulus or the argument?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the definition of the modulus and argument of a complex number?

Office_Shredder said:
What are the definition of the modulus and argument of a complex number?
I know the modulus is the length of the vector in an argand diagram, and the modulus is the angle it makes with the x axis, but since it is squared i don't see how it works as an argand diagram.

You can also write ##(e^{i\theta})^2## as ##e^{2i\theta}##, using the properties of exponents.
Rewriting the above using Euler's formula, we have ##e^{2i\theta} = \cos(2\theta) + i\sin(2\theta)##, which agrees with what you found for the real and imaginary parts (after using double angle identities).

If you have a complex number ##z = a + ib##, how do you find the modulus? From the above, the argument (arg) should be simple to find.

I guess a couple of things
1.) Given the real and complex parts, you could write down a new polar coordinates form. The modulus is not hard to compute this way, though I will admit the argument requires knowing some trig trickery.
2.) There's a much simpler way to do this.
## (e^{i\theta})^2 = e^{i\theta} e^{i\theta} = e^{i\theta+i\theta}##.

Note ##(e^a)^b \neq e^{ab}## in general, but when b is an integer you can do this.

Last edited:
joelstacey said:
so the real part would be: cos(theta)^2 - sin(theta)^2, and the imaginary part would be: 2*i*sin(theta)*cos(theta). But then I don't know where to start with the modulus or the argument?
Do you know the trig identities for ##\cos(2\theta)## and ##\sin(2\theta) ## ?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Modulus and Argument of a Complex Number?

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you evaluate a complex number?

To evaluate a complex number, you need to find its magnitude and angle. The magnitude is the distance of the number from the origin on the complex plane, and the angle is the direction of the number from the positive real axis. You can use trigonometric functions to calculate these values.

3. What is the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus of a complex number is its magnitude, which represents its distance from the origin on the complex plane. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts of the complex number.

4. How do you find the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is formed by changing the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of 3 + 4i is 3 - 4i. This is important in complex number operations as multiplying a complex number by its conjugate results in a real number.

5. Can you graph a complex number on a coordinate plane?

Yes, a complex number can be graphed on a coordinate plane, also known as the complex plane. The real part of the complex number is plotted on the horizontal axis, and the imaginary part is plotted on the vertical axis. The number's magnitude and angle can then be used to determine its exact location on the plane.