Evaluate integral of second order differential

In summary, the student is trying to find the integral of a function, but does not know how to evaluate it. They say that the term is negligible and that the derivative is analytic throughout the disk. They suggest that if the derivative is analytic throughout the disk and the function is defined on a closed contour, then the integral is zero.
billiards

Homework Statement

Evaluate
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\frac{1}{r}\frac{d^{2}f}{d\varphi^{2}}d\varphi[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the integral as

[tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{df}{d\varphi}[/tex]

Not sure how to evaluate this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you do a simple one first. Say:

[tex]f(x)=x^3+2x[/tex]

so that:

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=3x^2+2[/tex]

and so if I want to integrate:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{df}{dx}dx=\int_0^{2\pi} (3x^2+2)dx=(x^3+2x)\biggr|_0^{2\pi}=f(2\pi)-f(0)[/tex]

edit: so I see you got that part. Then it's just the first derivative at the end points right? So just write it as such:

[tex]\frac{df}{d\phi}\biggr|_{0}^{2\pi}[/tex]

Thanks for quick response. (I had some terrible trouble with Latex, I don't know if other users were seeing what I was, but when I tried to preview my post it would not refresh the Latex even though I had changed the coding.)

Is there not any way that I can take this further. This is actually a small part of a larger problem in which I have to show that this integral is negligible.

Hey, I think I get it now! The function is defined on a disk, so it must be the same at 0 and 2 pi. Therefore this term is negligible.

Does that sound right?

I'd say if the derivative is analytic throughout the disk and you're integrating over a closed contour, then the integral is zero.

Thanks. This is part of a problem on harmonic functions (I still don't really know what they are) -- I guess that term puts some constraints on the function, hopefully the ones you mentioned above.

Cheers

billiards said:
Thanks for quick response. (I had some terrible trouble with Latex, I don't know if other users were seeing what I was, but when I tried to preview my post it would not refresh the Latex even though I had changed the coding.)
This is a known problem that has yet to be fixed. The problem seems to be that when you preview a post with LaTeX in it, the previewer grabs whatever is in a cache somewhere, so if you have made changes, they won't show up in a preview. The only way around this that I know is to refresh the page after you have clicked Preview Post.

[tex]\sqrt{Thanks Mark}[/tex]

Thant trick works for me! :smile:

Related to Evaluate integral of second order differential

What is an integral of second order differential?

An integral of second order differential is a mathematical expression that represents the area under the curve of a second order differential equation. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change and to find the original function from its derivative.

How do you evaluate an integral of second order differential?

To evaluate an integral of second order differential, you first need to determine the limits of integration and then use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to simplify the equation. You can then use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral.

What are some common examples of second order differential equations?

Some common examples of second order differential equations include the harmonic oscillator equation, the damped harmonic oscillator equation, and the free fall equation. These equations can be solved by evaluating their respective integrals of second order differential.

Why is it important to evaluate integrals of second order differential?

Evaluating integrals of second order differential is important in many fields of science and engineering. It allows us to solve problems involving rates of change and to understand the behavior of systems over time. It also helps us to find the original function from its derivative, which is useful in many applications.

What are some techniques for solving integrals of second order differential?

Some common techniques for solving integrals of second order differential include integration by substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques can help simplify the equation and make it easier to evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.