Evaluate \int_2^4 {\frac{{dx}}{{x^2 \sqrt {x - 1} }}} Exactly

• Thread starter unique_pavadrin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, you should substitute x = sec ^2 u, and evaluate \int_2^4 {\frac{{dx}}{{x^2 \sqrt {x - 1} }}} exactly. Doing this will simplify the u-substitution, and you will end up with: \int_2^4 { - 2\cos ^2 u.\sin u.\sqrt {\sec ^2 u - 1} }.
unique_pavadrin
URGENT: Integrate exactly

Homework Statement

Using the substitution [tex]x = \sec ^2 u[/tex], evaluate [tex]\int_2^4 {\frac{{dx}}{{x^2 \sqrt {x - 1} }}} [/tex] exactly

2. The attempt at a solution
I have used the substitution and ended up with (after some simplification)
[tex]\int_2^4 { - 2\cos ^2 u.\sin u.\sqrt {\sec ^2 u - 1} }[/tex]. What do i do now? How do I integrate that, I am very confused on how to go about this now. There are others which I need to solve, but are harder than this one, so I will post them in the future once i understand this one and if i still need help with them. Many thanks to those who help
unique_pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]sec^2u-1=tan^2u[/tex]. That gives you [tex]-2cosu sin^2u[/tex]. Substitute t=sinu, dt=cosu du[/tex]. You should be able to do the rest.

unique_pavadrin said:

Homework Statement

Using the substitution [tex]x = \sec ^2 u[/tex], evaluate [tex]\int_2^4 {\frac{{dx}}{{x^2 \sqrt {x - 1} }}} [/tex] exactly

2. The attempt at a solution
I have used the substitution and ended up with (after some simplification)
[tex]\int_2^4 { - 2\cos ^2 u.\sin u.\sqrt {\sec ^2 u - 1} }[/tex].

Well, when you perform a u-substitution, you should also change the lower limit, and upper limit for the integral.

x = sec2u, where u is restricted to be on the interval [tex]\left[ 0 ;\ \frac{\pi}{2} \right[[/tex], so that tan(u) can be positive.

x = sec2u ~~~> dx = (2 sinu)/(cos3u) du
x = 2 ~~~> 1/cos2u = 2 ~~~> cos2(u) = 1/2 ~~~> cos(u) = 1/sqrt(2) ~~~> u = pi/4

x = 4 ~~~> 1/cos2u = 4 ~~~> cos2(u) = 1/4 ~~~> cos(u) = 1/2 ~~~> u = pi/3

So, your integral will become:

[tex]\int_{\frac{\pi}{4}} ^ \frac{\pi}{3} \ \cos ^ 4 u \frac{2 \sin u}{\cos ^ 3 u} \frac{du}{\sqrt{\sec ^ 2 u - 1}} = 2 \int_{\frac{\pi}{4}} ^ \frac{\pi}{3} \ \cos u \sin u \frac{du}{\sqrt{\tan ^ 2 u}}[/tex]

[tex]= 2 \int_{\frac{\pi}{4}} ^ \frac{\pi}{3} \ \cos u \sin u \frac{du}{|\tan u|}[/tex]

Since [tex]u \in \left[ 0 ;\ \frac{\pi}{2} \right[[/tex], tan(u) will be non-negative, so, we have:

[tex]= 2 \int_{\frac{\pi}{4}} ^ \frac{\pi}{3} \ \cos u \sin u \frac{du}{\tan u} = ...[/tex]

Can you go from here? :)

great help people, i understand now yay! :simile: thanks a lot

Related to Evaluate \int_2^4 {\frac{{dx}}{{x^2 \sqrt {x - 1} }}} Exactly

1. What does the notation in \int_2^4 {\frac{{dx}}{{x^2 \sqrt {x - 1} }}} mean?

The notation \int_2^4 represents an integral, which is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under a curve. The numbers 2 and 4 represent the limits of integration, or the starting and ending values for the calculation. The expression \frac{{dx}}{{x^2 \sqrt {x - 1} }} is the integrand, or the function being integrated.

2. How do you evaluate this integral exactly?

To evaluate this integral exactly, we must use a combination of algebraic manipulation and basic integration techniques. First, we can rewrite the integrand as \frac{1}{x\sqrt{x-1}}. Then, we can use the substitution u = x-1, du = dx, to simplify the integral to \int_1^3 {\frac{{du}}{{\sqrt {u} }}}. This integral can be evaluated using the power rule for integration, giving us the final answer of 2\sqrt{3} - 2.

3. What is the significance of the limits of integration in this integral?

The limits of integration, 2 and 4, represent the specific region of the x-axis over which we are calculating the area under the curve. In this case, the limits of integration correspond to the values of x that make the integrand defined and continuous, ensuring that our integral is well-defined.

4. Can this integral be evaluated using a calculator or computer program?

Yes, this integral can be evaluated using a calculator or computer program. However, most calculators and programs will only give an approximate answer, not the exact one. To obtain the exact answer, we must use algebraic manipulation and integration techniques as described in the answer to question 2.

5. What real-world applications does this integral have?

This integral has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the average value of a function, or the time it takes for an object to reach a certain position, among other things. It also has applications in finance and economics, such as calculating the present value of a continuously compounding interest rate.