Euler Totient Formula for Prime Powers | Help Needed for Homework

• Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euler
In summary, the conversation is discussing finding a formula for \phi(p^n) where \phi is the Euler's totient and p is a positive prime. The conversation includes attempts at solving for \phi(2^n) and \phi(3^n) by observing patterns and using induction. Eventually, it is revealed that the formula for \phi(p^n) is p^{n-1} and this is proven using the fact that the proper divisors of p^n are 1, p, ..., p^{n-1} and counting the numbers that are not relatively prime to p^n.
sutupidmath

Homework Statement

Well, the question is to find a formula for [tex]\phi(p^n)[/tex] where [tex]\phi[/tex] is the Euler's totient, and p is a positive prime.

Homework Equations

[tex]\phi(2^n)[/tex] well in this case here is what i did, i first took n=1, n=2, n=3, and it looks like

[tex]\phi(2^n)=2^{n-1}[/tex] but i am failing to prove it, because this is just by observation.

Also i tried

[tex]\phi(3^n)[/tex] and by observing what happens when, n=1,2,3 etc, this one also looks like the general formula for any n is going to be

[tex]\phi(3^n)=2*3^{n-1}[/tex] again i wasn't able to prove this one formally either.

I tried in both cases to prove it by induction, but i have a feeling that i need to know more properties about that function in order to know what operations i can perform. We, basically have only learned what euler's function is, and that's it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know whot to go about it.

Well, i gave it a shot, but nothing
say n=1 then

[tex]\phi(p)=p-1[/tex] since the group of invertibles is going to have p-1 elements.

Now, let n=2

[tex]\phi(p^2)=?[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that 1- xn= (1- x)(1+ x+ x2=+ ... + xn-2+ xn)? That's all you need. The proper divisors or pn are precisely 1, p, ..., pn-1.

HallsofIvy said:
Do you know that 1- xn= (1- x)(1+ x+ x2=+ ... + xn-2+ xn)? That's all you need. The proper divisors or pn are precisely 1, p, ..., pn-1.

It's not even that hard, is it? A number is relatively prime to p^n only if it isn't divisible by p. Count the numbers that AREN'T relatively prime to p^n (i.e. p,2p,3p,4p...p^n-p). Now count ALL the numbers less that p^n. Subtract.

Well, thanks guys a lot, i see it now!

Related to Euler Totient Formula for Prime Powers | Help Needed for Homework

What is Euler Totient?

Euler Totient, also known as Euler's totient function, is a mathematical function used to count the positive integers less than or equal to a given number that are relatively prime to that number.

What is the formula for calculating Euler Totient?

The formula for calculating Euler Totient of a positive integer n is: φ(n) = n * (1-1/p1) * (1-1/p2) * ... * (1-1/pk), where p1, p2, ..., pk are the prime factors of n.

What is the significance of Euler Totient?

Euler Totient is used in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, cryptography, and group theory. It has applications in calculating the order of elements in groups, determining the primitive roots of a prime number, and in RSA encryption.

How is Euler Totient different from Phi function?

Euler Totient (φ) and Phi (ϕ) function are two different notations used to represent the same function. Both represent the number of positive integers less than or equal to a given number that are relatively prime to that number. However, φ is more commonly used in number theory while ϕ is used in other fields of mathematics.

What are some useful properties of Euler Totient?

Some useful properties of Euler Totient include: φ(ab) = φ(a) * φ(b) if a and b are relatively prime, φ(p) = p-1 for a prime number p, and φ(n) is always even for n>2. It also satisfies the following equation: φ(n) = n * ∏(1-1/p) where p are the distinct prime factors of n.