Euclidean Space of Polynomials

In summary, the condition to turn V into an Euclidean space is that the given bilinear function f is positive definite.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question I encountered and I need your help to solve it.

Question:

Let \(V\) be the space of real polynomials of degree \(\leq n\).

a) Check that setting \(\left(f(x),\,g(x)\right)=\int_{0}^{1}f(x)g(x)\,dx\) turns \(V\) to a Euclidean space.

b) If \(n=1\), find the distance from \(f(x)=1\) to the linear span \(U=<x>\).

My Answer:

In our notes it's given that an Euclidean space is a pair \((V,\,f)\) where \(V\) is a vector space over \(\mathbb{R}\) and \(f:V\times V\rightarrow\mathbb{R}\) is a positive symmetric bilinear function. So therefore I thought that we have to check whether the given bilinear function is positive symmetric. It's clearly symmetric as interchanging \(f\) and \(g\) won't matter. But to make it positive we shall find a condition. Let,

\[f(x)=a_{0}+a_{1}x+\cdots+a_{n}x^{n}\]

\[g(x)=b_{0}+b_{1}x\cdots+b_{n}x^{n}\]

Then,

\[f(x)g(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}b_{k-i}\right)x^{k}\]

Hence we have,

\[\left(f(x),\,g(x)\right)=\int_{0}^{1}f(x)g(x)\,dx>0\]

\[\Rightarrow \sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}b_{k-i}\right)\frac{1}{k+1}>0\]

Is this the condition that we have to obtain in order for \(V\) to become an Euclidean space?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, a bilinear function f is positive definite iff f(v,v) is non-negative for all v and f(v,v) > 0 for v not zero. If this is what you meant, your conclusion is certainly true. (Apparently, you think positive means f(u,v) > 0 for all u,v. For this interpretation, your result is clearly false. Furthermore, it's impossible to have such a "positive" bilinear form.)

johng said:
Usually, a bilinear function f is positive definite iff f(v,v) is non-negative for all v and f(v,v) > 0 for v not zero. If this is what you meant, your conclusion is certainly true. (Apparently, you think positive means f(u,v) > 0 for all u,v. For this interpretation, your result is clearly false. Furthermore, it's impossible to have such a "positive" bilinear form.)

Hi johng, :)

Thanks much for the reply. Yeah, I see the mistake in my interpretation of positive definite. So it seems that the result should be,

\[\Rightarrow \sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_{i}a_{k-i}\right)\frac{1}{k+1}>0\]

Am I correct? I replaced the \(b\) by \(a\).

For a fixed v, you must show (v,v)>=0 and (v,v)=0 only for v=0. So for your particular scalar product, let g be a polynomial of degree at most n. Then

\(\displaystyle (g,g)=\int_0^1g(x)^2\,dx\geq0\) since the integral of a non-negative function is non-negative.

Also \(\displaystyle \int_0^1g(x)^2\,dx=0\text{ implies }g\equiv0\) which is true by the fact that if the integral of a non-negative function is 0, then the function must be identically 0.

If so, then we can check that it is indeed positive and symmetric, thus satisfying the criteria for an Euclidean space.

For part b), we have \(f(x)=1\) and \(U=<x>\). So, we can write \(f(x)=cx\) for some constant \(c\). The distance between two vectors \(f(x)\) and \(g(x)\) in an Euclidean space is given by the norm \(\left\lVert f(x)-g(x)\right\rVert=\sqrt{\left(f(x),\,f(x)\right)-2\left(f(x),\,g(x)\right)+\left(g(x),\,g(x)\right)}\).

In this case, we have \(g(x)=cx\) and using the bilinear function given in the question, we get

\[\left(f(x),\,f(x)\right)=\int_{0}^{1}1\cdot1\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\]

\[\left(f(x),\,g(x)\right)=\int_{0}^{1}1\cdot cx\,dx=\frac{c}{2}\]

\[\left(g(x),\,g(x)\right)=\int_{0}^{1}cx\cdot cx\,dx=\frac{c^2}{3}\]

Hence, the distance from \(f(x)=1\) to the linear span \(U=<x>\) is given by

\[\left\lVert f(x)-g(x)\right\rVert=\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}-2\cdot\frac{c}{2}+\frac{c^2}{3}}=\sqrt{\frac{1}{12}-\frac{c}{2}+\frac{c^2}{3}}\]

Related to Euclidean Space of Polynomials

What is Euclidean Space of Polynomials?

The Euclidean Space of Polynomials is a mathematical concept that refers to the space of all polynomials with a finite number of variables and coefficients from a specific field, such as the real numbers. It is used to study the properties and behavior of polynomials in a geometric setting.

What is the dimension of Euclidean Space of Polynomials?

The dimension of Euclidean Space of Polynomials is infinite, as there are an infinite number of possible polynomials with varying degrees and coefficients. However, the dimension of a specific subspace of polynomials can be finite, depending on the restrictions placed on the variables and coefficients.

How is Euclidean Space of Polynomials related to Euclidean Space?

Euclidean Space of Polynomials is a generalization of Euclidean Space, as it extends the concept of points and lines to include polynomials as geometric objects. Both spaces have similar properties, such as the ability to define distance and angles between objects.

What are some applications of Euclidean Space of Polynomials?

Euclidean Space of Polynomials has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve equations, model real-life situations, and study the behavior of functions. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth curves and surfaces.

What is the relationship between Euclidean Space of Polynomials and Linear Algebra?

Euclidean Space of Polynomials is closely related to Linear Algebra, as both deal with vector spaces and the operations that can be performed on them. Polynomials can be viewed as vectors in a higher-dimensional space, and linear algebra techniques can be applied to study their properties and behavior.