Etymological link between moments and momentum?

In summary, the common origin of the terms "moment" as in "moment of inertia," "moment" in math terms, and "momentum" is the Latin word "momentum" which means "a movement, motion" or "a moving force, impulse." The other meanings arose later, with "momentum" potentially being thought of as similar to weight or torque.
pellman
What is the common origin of the terms:
(1) "moment" as in "moment of interia"
(2) "moment" as in the math terms first moment, second moment, etc.
(3) "momentum"?

The first two are somewhat easy to see, though I'd like see someone familiar with it spell it out. But I've always wondered about (3).

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

Anyone? How is momentum related to the concept of moment?

hi pellman! :smile:

my smith's latin-english dictionary (3rd edition, 1933) defines momentum, i, n, [contracted from movimentum, from the verb moveo, i move] as …

I. a movement, motion

II. a moving force, impulse

(both are supported by quotations from cicero and ovid)

pellman said:
What is the common origin of the terms:
(1) "moment" as in "moment of interia"
(2) "moment" as in the math terms first moment, second moment, etc.
(3) "momentum"?

The common origin is "momentum", which itself must be a contraction of a pre-existing latin word, as tiny-tim mentions.

The other meanings arose later.

A speculative reconstruction: 'momentum' was thought of as akin to weight. Weights on a pair of scales that are unbalanced make the scale tip over, hence 'moment' as akin to torque.

Last edited:
pellman said:
Bump.

Anyone? How is momentum related to the concept of moment?

pellman, I think you should get an award for having the longest patience...waiting 4 months before bumping a thread :biggrin:!

It chaps my hide when people do it after 20 minutes!

Related to Etymological link between moments and momentum?

1. What is the etymological origin of the words "moment" and "momentum"?

The word "moment" comes from the Latin word "momentum", which means "movement" or "motion". "Momentum" itself is derived from the Latin verb "movere", meaning "to move".

2. How are moments and momentum related in physics?

In physics, moments refer to the product of a force and the distance from the point of rotation. Momentum, on the other hand, is the product of mass and velocity. They are related in the sense that moments can affect the momentum of an object, as changes in rotational motion can also affect linear motion and vice versa.

3. Are moments and momentum interchangeable terms?

No, moments and momentum are not interchangeable terms. While they are related to each other, they have different definitions and are used in different contexts in physics.

4. Do the words "moment" and "momentum" have any other meanings besides their use in physics?

Yes, both words have other meanings in addition to their use in physics. "Moment" can also refer to a brief period of time or a significant event, while "momentum" can also mean a driving force or energy behind a particular action or movement.

5. How has the etymological link between moments and momentum influenced the study of physics?

The etymological link between moments and momentum highlights the interconnectedness of different concepts in physics. It has also led to further research and exploration of the relationship between rotational and linear motion, as well as the concept of conservation of momentum. Understanding the origins of these terms can also provide insight into the development of physics as a field of study.