Estimation - Student-t distribution - Confidence Level

In summary: It does not work :(anyone please help me.I did that:p=(15%+25%)/2 =0.2s= √p(1−p) = √0.2(1−0.2) = 0.4t=(ME)/((s/sqrt(n))* (sqrt(1-(n/N)))t = 0.05/((0.4/sqrt(150))* (sqrt(1-(150/1800)))(1-sigma)=tcdf(-t,+t,n-1)And then compare that to your range (-5,5).Your t standard error of
masterchiefo

Homework Statement

[/B]
A company produces batches of 1800 axle shafts . These are tested to determine the proportion of those with too rough surface according to the standards set in the industry.

The quality control department of a sample of 150 axle shafts in a lot and concluded that there are between 15 % and 25 % of the axle shafts in this set that are outside the norms . Calculate the confidence level associated with this estimate.

Homework Equations

tn-1,sigma/2=(ME)/((s/sqrt(n))* (sqrt(1-(n/N)))
(1-sigma)=tcdf(-tn-1,sigma/2,+tn-1,sigma/2,n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Known variable:
N = 1800
n=150
[15%,25%] ---> average= (15+25)/2 =20% or 0.20
ME = (25-15)/2 = 5% or 0.05

Unknown variable:
(1-sigma)
Average of N
Standard Deviation of nI am stuck here, I cannot continue without knowing SD.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a proportion. So, standard deviation of a proportion is
##\sqrt{p(1-p)}.##

Likes masterchiefo
RUber said:
##\sqrt{p(1-p)}.##
Hello,

I don't understand, what would be p ?

RUber said:
##\sqrt{p(1-p)}.##
do I still use Student -t formula ?

I did that:
p=(15%+25%)/2 =0.2
s= √p(1−p) = √0.2(1−0.2) = 0.4
t=(ME)/((s/sqrt(n))* (sqrt(1-(n/N)))
t = 0.05/((0.4/sqrt(150))* (sqrt(1-(150/1800)))
(1-sigma)=tcdf(-t,+t,n-1)
(1-sigma) = 1

It does not work :(
anyone please help me.

masterchiefo said:
I did that:
p=(15%+25%)/2 =0.2
s= √p(1−p) = √0.2(1−0.2) = 0.4
t=(ME)/((s/sqrt(n))* (sqrt(1-(n/N)))
t = 0.05/((0.4/sqrt(150))* (sqrt(1-(150/1800)))
(1-sigma)=tcdf(-t,+t,n-1)
I am not sure what you last line is doing.
Normally, you would take your calculate t standard error of the proportion...in this case:
t=(ME)/((s/sqrt(n))* (sqrt(1-(n/N))) = .031,
And compare that to your range ( +/- 5% ) .
This gives you an idea of what your ##t_{\frac{\alpha}{2}, df}## should be equal to.

masterchiefo said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
A company produces batches of 1800 axle shafts . These are tested to determine the proportion of those with too rough surface according to the standards set in the industry.

The quality control department of a sample of 150 axle shafts in a lot and concluded that there are between 15 % and 25 % of the axle shafts in this set that are outside the norms . Calculate the confidence level associated with this estimate.

Homework Equations

tn-1,sigma/2=(ME)/((s/sqrt(n))* (sqrt(1-(n/N)))
(1-sigma)=tcdf(-tn-1,sigma/2,+tn-1,sigma/2,n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Known variable:
N = 1800
n=150
[15%,25%] ---> average= (15+25)/2 =20% or 0.20
ME = (25-15)/2 = 5% or 0.05

Unknown variable:
(1-sigma)
Average of N
Standard Deviation of nI am stuck here, I cannot continue without knowing SD.

Google "confidence interval for proportion".

Related to Estimation - Student-t distribution - Confidence Level

1. What is the Student-t distribution?

The Student-t distribution, also known as the t-distribution, is a probability distribution that is used to estimate the mean of a population when the sample size is small and the population standard deviation is unknown. It is similar to the normal distribution, but has heavier tails, making it more suitable for small sample sizes.

2. How is the Student-t distribution used in estimation?

The Student-t distribution is used in estimation to calculate confidence intervals for the population mean. It takes into account the sample size and sample standard deviation to provide a more accurate estimate of the population mean compared to using the normal distribution.

3. What is a confidence level?

A confidence level is the probability that the true population parameter falls within a specified range of values. It is typically expressed as a percentage, such as 95% or 99%, and is used to determine the level of certainty in an estimation or hypothesis test.

4. How is the confidence level related to the Student-t distribution?

The confidence level is directly related to the Student-t distribution in that it determines the critical values needed to calculate the confidence interval. The confidence level is used to select the appropriate t-value from the Student-t distribution table, which is then used to calculate the upper and lower bounds of the confidence interval.

5. What factors influence the confidence level of a Student-t distribution?

The confidence level of a Student-t distribution is influenced by the sample size, the variability of the data, and the desired level of precision. As the sample size increases, the confidence level also increases, meaning there is a higher probability of the true population mean falling within the calculated confidence interval. Similarly, a lower variability of the data and a higher desired level of precision will result in a higher confidence level.