Estimating the (average local field)/(Applied field) in water

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the average value of the local field to applied field ratio for a water molecule at room temperature, taking into account the relative permittivity and dipole moment of the molecule. The conversation presents different equations and approaches for solving the problem, discussing the use of the Langevin formula and the orientational polarizability.
Order

Homework Statement

At room temperature the relative permittivity (ε) of water is 80. The dipole moment of a water molecule is 6.2×10-30 coulomb meters. What is the average value of Elocal/E for a water molecule? (In working out this problem, neglect the contribution to the relative permittivity from induced dipole moments.)

Homework Equations

[tex]\textbf{P}=\varepsilon_0 \chi_E \textbf{E}[/tex]
[tex]\textbf{p}=(\chi_E/N)_{gas} \varepsilon_0 \textbf{E}_{local}[/tex]
[tex]E_{local}/E=(N / \chi_E)_{gas} (\chi_E/N)_{liquid}[/tex]
where N is the molecular density. Problem with the latter formula is that I don't know [itex]\varepsilon_{gas}[/itex]. I guess there is more reasoning needed than equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know why you shouldn't be able to use the Clausius-Mossotti formula for this. It gives a very incorrect result, but anyway, here is the reasoning i thought was correct:
Imagine a spherical cavity in the dielectric. Here lies the molecule that is under the influence of the local field. Now there will be negative charges in the direction of the field and positive in the other because of the polarization of the dielectric. The field from these boundary charges creates a field in the same direction as the applied field and the problem is to estimate it.

If anyone wants me to show how this is done I can of course spend an hour in deriving it. But this will not do much good since it yields the wrong answer. The end result (the derivation is correct) is:
[tex]E_{local}/E \simeq 1+ \chi_E/3=27.3[/tex]
But the correct result is 6,6. Completely wrong. What is wrong in my assumptions here? How can I reason about the dipole moment?

The book talks about it: "Even in a liquid, dielectric behaviour is complicated when polar molecules are present, since very large fields are generated by the permanent dipole moment." So why leave it to the student to solve such a difficult problem? Is there something i have missed?

(I Heard, by the way, that this is a special problem. I solved all the other problems in the chapter, but here I don't even know where to start. I have reread the whole chapter and parts of it resulting in better understanding, but still...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you covered the Langevin (Debye) formula which relates the polarization ##P##, the local field ##E_{local}##, the permanent dipole moment of a molecule, the number of molecules per unit volume, and the temperature? See for example equation 1.9.11 here.

If you combine the Langevin formula with the formula ##P = \epsilon_o \chi_E E## I think you can get the result of 6.6 for the ratio of the local and applied fields.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Have you covered the Langevin (Debye) formula which relates the polarization ##P##, the local field ##E_{local}##, the permanent dipole moment of a molecule, the number of molecules per unit volume, and the temperature? See for example equation 1.9.11 here.

If you combine the Langevin formula with the formula ##P = \epsilon_o \chi_E E## I think you can get the result of 6.6 for the ratio of the local and applied fields.

Yes, I have covered the orientational polarizability induced by dipoles aligning with the Electric field, but with a simpler derivation than done in your linked presentation. As they hint I let the distortional polarizability be zero and then I get the quotient 6,6.

Related to Estimating the (average local field)/(Applied field) in water

1. What is the difference between the average local field and the applied field in water?

The average local field in water refers to the electric field strength experienced by molecules or particles within the water, while the applied field is the external electric field that is applied to the water. The average local field can be affected by factors such as the presence of other particles or molecules in the water, while the applied field is typically constant.

2. How is the average local field in water estimated?

The average local field in water can be estimated through various experimental techniques, such as NMR spectroscopy or molecular dynamics simulations. These methods involve measuring the response of water molecules to an external electric field and using mathematical models to calculate the average local field.

3. Why is it important to estimate the average local field in water?

The average local field in water is important because it can provide insights into the behavior and interactions of molecules and particles within the water. It can also be used to understand the properties of water, such as its dielectric constant, which is crucial in many biological and chemical processes.

4. Can the average local field in water vary in different environments?

Yes, the average local field in water can vary depending on the surrounding environment. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules can affect the average local field in water.

5. How does estimating the average local field in water relate to other fields of study?

Estimating the average local field in water is relevant to many fields of study, including chemistry, biology, and materials science. It can provide insights into the behavior of water in different environments and aid in the design of new technologies and materials.