Estimating drag using only a temperature profile

In summary, the Reddit thread discusses the possibility of estimating drag using only a temperature profile. While it may be possible in theory, it is not practical and can only be done in limited cases. The level of complexity involved and the number of variables make it difficult to accurately convert temperature into drag. It is also important to consider other factors, such as turbulence, that may affect the amount of drag.
OrangeDog
I was reading this thread on Reddit about estimating drag using only a temperature profile. I was reading the responses, and I feel like most of them are missing something. Since this forum is more science-focused, what do you guys think?

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/4gkwao/if_i_could_very_accurately_measure_the/

I am not a member of Reddit, but if I was this would be my answer:

In theory, if you could measure the temperature field perfectly, you would have enough information to know some of the terms in the energy portion of the N-S equation. NASA provides a good picture:
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/nseqs.html So essentially, you'd be able to know the E terms (using cp*T), the q terms (the heat flux), but you could not determine the shear stress, or the velocity components, u,v,w, and the pressure field unless you assumed P=rho*R*T.

This leaves a few cases:
If you had a body with no separation, you might be able to measure the heat generated in the boundary layer and compute the velocity profile. For simple cases like the flat plate you can even find exact solutions. From this information you could compute the viscous drag

If you assume P=rho*R*T and neglect viscosity You can figure out the magnitude of the velocity field, since you simply have the advective acceleration of the flow at that point equaling the pressure gradient.

If you a assume 1 or 2 dimensional flow
There might be some special cases where you can get an exact solution.

So overall:
It isn't practical
It can be done only in limited cases
For difficult and interesting problems, the answer is not without more information.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any way this would work. There are still too many variables involved. It seems to me that the level of complexity required to use a temperature field as the initial conditions required to solve for the flow around a body essentially boils doing to doing a full DNS on the problem, and that is not currently an economical option for vehicle-sized problems (computational time scales with ##Re^3##). Trying to find a simpler way to convert temperature into drag other than through the governing equations doesn't seem feasible to me.

That said, the reddit thread that you linked was basically asking if the temperature of the body could be measured in order to compute drag, which essentially boils down to asking if you can estimate drag based on the heat transfer into the body. This seems doubtful to me as well, since there are any number of ways that such heat transfer could occur that would result in different amounts of drag, e.g. turbulence occurring in different locations may result in the same net heat transfer without the same net drag.

Related to Estimating drag using only a temperature profile

1. What is drag?

Drag is a force that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the friction between the object and the fluid, and it opposes the motion of the object.

2. How is drag related to temperature?

Temperature can affect drag because it can change the density and viscosity of the fluid. As temperature increases, the density of the fluid decreases, and the viscosity may also decrease. This can result in lower drag on an object moving through the fluid.

3. Can drag be estimated using only a temperature profile?

Yes, drag can be estimated using only a temperature profile, as long as the properties of the fluid, such as density and viscosity, are known. This is often done in studies of atmospheric or oceanic circulation, where temperature profiles are used to estimate the drag on objects such as ships or airplanes.

4. What methods are used to estimate drag using a temperature profile?

There are various methods that can be used to estimate drag using a temperature profile, such as the Monin-Obukhov similarity theory, which relates the turbulent fluxes of heat and momentum to the temperature and velocity profiles. Other methods include using the Reynolds analogy, which relates the heat and momentum transfer coefficients, or using empirical relationships based on laboratory experiments.

5. Are there limitations to estimating drag using a temperature profile?

Yes, there are limitations to this method. One limitation is that it assumes the fluid is in a steady state, meaning that the temperature and velocity profiles do not change over time. It also assumes that the fluid is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, uncertainties in the temperature measurements can affect the accuracy of the drag estimation.