Estimate p from sample of two Binomially Distributions

In summary, the formula for estimating p from a sample of two Binomially Distributed data is p = x/n, where x represents the number of successes in the sample and n represents the sample size. The accuracy of this estimation depends on the sample size, with a larger sample size leading to a more accurate estimation. It can also be used for hypothesis testing, comparing the observed proportion of successes to a hypothesized proportion. This estimation is possible with a sample size less than 30, but the accuracy may be lower. Outliers can also affect the estimation, and it is recommended to either remove them from the sample or use a different estimation method.
Scootertaj
1. Suppose X~B(5,p) and Y~(7,p) independent of X. Sampling once from each population gives x=3,y=5. What is the best (minimum-variance unbiased) estimate of p?

Homework Equations

[tex]P(X=x)=\binom{n}{x}p^x(1-p)^{n-x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea is that Maximum Likelihood estimators are unbiased, and have asymptotic variance = Cramer-Rao lower bound. Also, C-R lower bound = minimum variance of unbiased estimators.
So, since X and Y independent, [tex]X+Y \sim B(5+7,p)=B(12,p)[/tex]
Thus, can we just compute the likelihood function and take the derivative?
[tex]L = \binom{12}{8}p^8(1-p)^4[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dL}{dp} = 8p^7(1-p)^4 - 4p^8(1-p)^3[/tex]
Thus, [tex]p=8/12=2/3[/tex]

Is that legit?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The method is OK as far as I know (not an expert on unbiased estimators), but I have a problem with this step:
Scootertaj said:
Thus, [tex]p=8/12=3/4[/tex]
That's not what I get by putting dL/dp =0.

[tex]\frac{dL}{dp} = 8p^7(1-p)^4 - 4p^8(1-p)^3=0[/tex]
[tex]p^7(1-p)^3[8(1-p)]-4p]=0[/tex]
[tex]8-8p-4p=0[/tex] ignoring p=0,p=1
[tex]8=12p \Rightarrow p=8/12=2/3[/tex]

Did I miss something?
Note: I screwed up my fraction simplification previously if that's what you meant.

Scootertaj said:
I screwed up my fraction simplification previously if that's what you meant.
Yes.

Scootertaj said:
1. Suppose X~B(5,p) and Y~(7,p) independent of X. Sampling once from each population gives x=3,y=5. What is the best (minimum-variance unbiased) estimate of p?

Homework Equations

[tex]P(X=x)=\binom{n}{x}p^x(1-p)^{n-x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea is that Maximum Likelihood estimators are unbiased, and have asymptotic variance = Cramer-Rao lower bound. Also, C-R lower bound = minimum variance of unbiased estimators.
So, since X and Y independent, [tex]X+Y \sim B(5+7,p)=B(12,p)[/tex]
Thus, can we just compute the likelihood function and take the derivative?
[tex]L = \binom{12}{8}p^8(1-p)^4[/tex]
Thus, [tex]p=8/12=2/3[/tex]

Is that legit?

I disagree with your expression for L, but agree with the final answer you get later. You only get B(n,p)+B(m,p) = B(n+m,p) when you perform a convolution (that is, sum over all the outcomes for each term). In your case you just have one outcome from each binomial, so you should use
[tex] L = {5 \choose 3}p^3(1-p)^2 {7 \choose 5} p^5 (1-p)^2.[/tex] Of course, this has the form ##c p^8(1-p)^4,## so will give the same result you got.

Ahh yes, I thought about that also. It's nice to see I wasn't off-base by considering that way.
Why does it not make statistical sense to use the L I suggested (which is based off the fact that X+Y~B(12,p) ?

Scootertaj said:
Ahh yes, I thought about that also. It's nice to see I wasn't off-base by considering that way.
Why does it not make statistical sense to use the L I suggested (which is based off the fact that X+Y~B(12,p) ?

I already gave the explanation, although it was very brief. I mean that P(X+Y=8) = P(X=1,Y=7) + P(X=2,Y=6) + P(X=3,Y=5) + P(X=4,Y=4)+ P(X=5,Y=3), a sum of 5 terms, but you have only the term P(X=3,Y=5). Each separate term has p^8 * (1-p)^4, but with different coefficients.

Last edited:

Related to Estimate p from sample of two Binomially Distributions

1. What is the formula for estimating p from a sample of two Binomially Distributed data?

The formula for estimating p from a sample of two Binomially Distributed data is p = x/n, where x represents the number of successes in the sample and n represents the sample size.

2. How accurate is the estimation of p from a sample of two Binomially Distributed data?

The accuracy of the estimation of p from a sample of two Binomially Distributed data depends on the size of the sample. Generally, a larger sample size leads to a more accurate estimation of p.

3. Can the estimation of p from a sample of two Binomially Distributed data be used for hypothesis testing?

Yes, the estimation of p from a sample of two Binomially Distributed data can be used for hypothesis testing. It can be used to compare the observed proportion of successes to a hypothesized proportion, and determine if there is a significant difference.

4. Is it possible to estimate p from a sample of two Binomially Distributed data if the sample size is less than 30?

Yes, it is possible to estimate p from a sample of two Binomially Distributed data with a sample size less than 30. However, the accuracy of the estimation may be lower compared to a larger sample size.

5. How is the estimation of p from a sample of two Binomially Distributed data affected by outliers?

The estimation of p from a sample of two Binomially Distributed data can be affected by outliers. In cases where there are extreme outliers, it is recommended to either remove them from the sample or use a different estimation method that is less sensitive to outliers.