Estimate order O(h)

• MHB
  • Thread starter ra_forever8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Estimate
In summary, "Estimate order O(h)" is a mathematical concept used to analyze the complexity of algorithms in relation to input size. It allows for predicting performance and selecting the most efficient algorithm for a given problem. It is calculated by analyzing code and determining the highest order term, and common estimate orders include O(1), O(log h), O(h), O(h^2), O(h^3), O(2^h), and O(h!). Practical applications include making coding and design decisions, comparing algorithm performance, and selecting the most suitable one for a problem.
ra_forever8
Consider non-dimensional differential equation for the height at the highest point is given by
\begin{equation} h(\mu)= \frac{1}{\mu}- \frac{1}{\mu^2} log_e(1+\mu) \end{equation}
$0<\mu<<1.$
Deduce an estimate to $O(\mu)$ for $h(\mu)$ and compare with $t_h(\mu)=1-\frac{\mu}{2}+...$
=> I really don't how to start this question. please help me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
grandy said:
Consider non-dimensional differential equation for the height at the highest point is given by
\begin{equation} h(\mu)= \frac{1}{\mu}- \frac{1}{\mu^2} log_e(1+\mu) \end{equation}
$0<\mu<<1.$
Deduce an estimate to $O(\mu)$ for $h(\mu)$ and compare with $t_h(\mu)=1-\frac{\mu}{2}+...$
=> I really don't how to start this question. please help me.

Start with a Taylor expansion...

I like Serena said:
Start with a Taylor expansion...
$\log_e(1+\mu) = \mu - \dfrac{\mu^2}{2} + \dfrac{\mu^3}{3} - \dfrac{\mu^4}{4}+\cdots$ and plug that in,
to get $h(\mu) =\dfrac12- \dfrac\mu3+\dfrac{\mu^2}{4}+\cdots.$
now, comparing $\log_e(1+\mu)$ with $t_h(\mu)=1-\frac{\mu}{2}+\cdots$
what can I say?

Last edited by a moderator:
grandy said:
$\log_e(1+\mu) = \mu - \dfrac{\mu^2}{2} + \dfrac{\mu^3}{3} - \dfrac{\mu^4}{4}+\cdots$ and plug that in,
to get $h(\mu) =\dfrac12- \dfrac\mu3+\dfrac{\mu^2}{4}+\cdots.$

The problem asked for $h(\mu)$ up to $O(\mu)$, so that would be:
$$h(\mu) = \frac 1 2 + O(\mu)$$

now, comparing $\log_e(1+\mu)$ with $t_h(\mu)=1-\frac{\mu}{2}+\cdots$
what can I say?

The time is $t_h(\mu) = 1 + O(\mu)$.
So with small enough $\mu$ the maximum height is approximately $h \approx \dfrac 1 2$ which is reached at a time of approximately $t \approx 1$.

As a scientist, it is important to be able to analyze and estimate the order of a given equation in order to understand its behavior and make accurate predictions. In this case, we are given a non-dimensional differential equation for the height at the highest point, which is given by h(μ) = 1/μ - 1/μ^2 log_e(1+μ), where 0<μ<<1. Our goal is to estimate the order of this equation in terms of μ and compare it with the given equation t_h(μ) = 1-μ/2+...

To begin, let us first recall the definition of order in terms of variables. The order of a function or equation is the highest power of the independent variable that appears in the equation. In this case, we have μ appearing in both the numerator and denominator of h(μ), which suggests that the order of this equation is O(μ). This means that the behavior of h(μ) is mainly dependent on the value of μ.

Next, we can deduce an estimate of h(μ) in terms of μ by using the Taylor series expansion of log_e(1+μ) around μ=0. This gives us log_e(1+μ) = μ - μ^2/2 + O(μ^3), where O(μ^3) represents higher order terms that are negligible for small values of μ. Substituting this into the equation for h(μ), we get h(μ) = 1/μ - 1/μ^2 (μ - μ^2/2 + O(μ^3)). Simplifying this further, we get h(μ) = 1/μ - 1 + μ/2 + O(μ^2).

Comparing this with the given equation t_h(μ) = 1-μ/2+..., we can see that they are similar up to the term μ/2. This suggests that the leading behavior of h(μ) is of the same order as t_h(μ), which is O(μ). However, the higher order terms in h(μ) are different from t_h(μ), which means that they may have different behaviors for larger values of μ.

In conclusion, we can estimate the order of h(μ) to be O(μ) and compare it with t_h(μ). While they have similar leading behaviors, the higher

Related to Estimate order O(h)

What is "Estimate order O(h)"?

"Estimate order O(h)" is a mathematical concept used in the analysis of algorithms. It refers to the rate at which the time or space complexity of an algorithm increases as the input size, denoted by 'h', increases.

Why is "Estimate order O(h)" important?

Understanding the estimate order of an algorithm allows us to predict how it will perform as the input size increases. This information is crucial in selecting the most efficient algorithm for a given problem.

How is "Estimate order O(h)" calculated?

The estimate order of an algorithm is calculated by analyzing its code and determining the number of operations that are executed as a function of the input size 'h'. The highest order term in this function is then used to represent the estimate order.

What are the common estimate orders for algorithms?

The most common estimate orders are O(1) (constant time), O(log h) (logarithmic time), O(h) (linear time), O(h^2) (quadratic time), O(h^3) (cubic time), O(2^h) (exponential time), and O(h!) (factorial time).

How do I use "Estimate order O(h)" in practical applications?

Knowing the estimate order of an algorithm can help in making efficient coding and design decisions. It can also be used to compare the performance of different algorithms and make informed choices in selecting the most suitable one for a given problem.