Estimate heat transfer coefficient

You have set up a experiment to measure the heat transfer coefficient of a nichrome wire using a 3 volt battery. By measuring the power and temperature of the wire and air, you can use the formula ΔT=PRsurf to calculate the heat transfer coefficient h. This formula takes into account the thermal resistance of the wire and the area of the wire. You also mention using a formula from a post on PF to calculate the heat transfer coefficient. Overall, your setup and calculations seem appropriate for determining the heat transfer coefficient.
totoykabute
i prepared a setup wherein i heat a nichrome wire with 3 volts battery, measure its power, the temperature of the nichrome and the temperature of air.. by using the formula

ΔT=PRsurf

where

ΔT=Tnichrome - Tair

P=VI

Rsurf=1/hA,

R is, basically, the thermal resistance to heat from the copper surface to the surrounding air

A is the area of nichrome wire...pi x D x length

h is the heat transfer coefficient you are looking for and the only unknown...

i calculated the heat transfer coefficient..

.. i got that formula from a post somewhere here in PF..

now tell me.. is my setup right to calculate the h.. or is something wrong with the formula?

Science news on Phys.org
Your analysis seems sound.

Related to Estimate heat transfer coefficient

What is heat transfer coefficient?

Heat transfer coefficient is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred from one material to another. It is a fundamental property that describes the ability of a material to conduct heat.

Why is it important to estimate heat transfer coefficient?

Estimating heat transfer coefficient is important in many engineering and scientific applications, as it allows us to predict and control the transfer of heat between materials. This can help us optimize the design and efficiency of systems such as heat exchangers, refrigerators, and engines.

What factors affect the heat transfer coefficient?

The heat transfer coefficient is influenced by several factors, including the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, the temperature difference between the materials, the surface area and geometry of the materials, and the presence of any insulating layers or fluids between the materials.

How is heat transfer coefficient measured or calculated?

Heat transfer coefficient can be measured experimentally using specialized equipment, such as a heat flux sensor. It can also be calculated using mathematical models and equations, which take into account the relevant factors affecting heat transfer.

What are some real-world applications of estimating heat transfer coefficient?

Estimating heat transfer coefficient is crucial in many industries and technologies, such as building and construction, chemical and petroleum processing, power generation, and transportation. It is used to design and improve heating and cooling systems, insulation materials, and various industrial processes that involve heat transfer.