GC Elution Order of Alcohols: Boiling Point vs Polarity

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
In summary, GCs tend to favor higher boiling molecules over smaller molecules, but this rule goes against itself depending on the column.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
I ran a series of alcohols; 1-pentanol, 1-hexanol, 1-heptanol, 1-octanol; through a GC with a polar column. For this particular column:
-Polar molecules are held back more (true with polar columns)
-Higher boiling molecules are held back more (true with all GCs)

The problem is that these rules go against each other. The elution order based on polarity would be octanol, heptanol, hexanol, then pentanol because smaller molecules are more polar (ethanol dissolves in water, pentanol does not). The elution order based on boiling points would be pentanol, hexanol, heptanol, octanol because bigger molecules have higher boiling points.

The lowest boiler of the bunch is pentanol, and that was at something like ~170C iirc. The injector and detector were 250C, the column itself was 75C. I'm not sure if this low temperature means the boiling point has more or less importance. When I ran decane, undecane, and dodecane through a nonpolar column, there was a very large difference in elution times and they were based solely on boiling point since each of those alkanes have basically the same nonpolarity.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
from the short experience that I had with chromatography, the molecular weight was highly correlated with the elution order at times the polarity made a difference, with Si as the stationary phase.

GC columns rarely use Si solid phases. It's usually some sort of wax column.

It's hard to say which effect will take precedence though. I guess in my experience it's usually more of a BP effect, but I don't have a ton of experience with GC and very polar compounds. Molecules with similar MW and somewhat different polar groups often aren't that different on GC, but two non-polar molecules with a moderate difference in MW sometimes have massively different GC behavior.

The handful of very polar molecules I shot onto a GC never came off, which wasn't entirely unexpected though.

Related to GC Elution Order of Alcohols: Boiling Point vs Polarity

1. What is the GC elution order of alcohols based on?

The GC elution order of alcohols is based on their boiling point and polarity. This is because in gas chromatography, compounds are separated based on their physical and chemical properties. The more similar the properties of two compounds are, the closer their elution order will be.

2. Does boiling point or polarity have a greater impact on the GC elution order of alcohols?

Both boiling point and polarity have an impact on the GC elution order of alcohols. However, polarity tends to have a greater influence as it affects the interactions between the alcohol molecules and the stationary phase of the GC column.

3. How does the boiling point of an alcohol affect its elution order?

The boiling point of an alcohol directly affects its elution order in gas chromatography. The higher the boiling point, the longer it takes for the alcohol to be vaporized and pass through the column, resulting in a later elution time. This is because higher boiling points indicate stronger intermolecular forces, which cause the alcohol to be more tightly bound to the stationary phase.

4. Why is polarity important in determining the GC elution order of alcohols?

Polarity is important in determining the GC elution order of alcohols because it influences the strength of the interactions between the alcohol molecules and the stationary phase of the GC column. The more polar the alcohol, the stronger the interactions and the longer it takes for the compound to elute from the column.

5. Are there any exceptions to the general GC elution order of alcohols based on boiling point and polarity?

Yes, there may be exceptions to the general GC elution order of alcohols based on boiling point and polarity. This can occur when there are other factors at play, such as molecular size and shape or the presence of functional groups that can affect the interactions with the stationary phase. Additionally, different types of GC columns and experimental conditions can also result in variations in the elution order of alcohols.