Establishing double integral limits

In summary: If it helps this is part of a problem that involves evaluating an integral by first changing the variables from x and y to u and v; while I am given what the new limits are in terms of u and v I cannot seem to be able to work backwards to obtain them in terms of x and y.Another words, you want to compute the area in carteasian coordinates and to avoid doing two double integrals, integrate with respect to x first, then y so need to compute:\int_{y=y_0}^{y=y_1} \int_{x=g_1(y)}^{x=g_2(y)} 1 dxdyYou drew a picture
PedroB

Homework Statement

What would be the limits for each of the integrals (one with respect to x, one with respect to y) of an area bounded by y=0, y=x and x^2+y^2=1?

Homework Equations

None that I can fathom

The Attempt at a Solution

I've rearranged the latter most equation to get x=√(1-y^2) and tried subbing in values for y=0 and y=x but that does not seem to work correctly.

If it helps this is part of a problem that involves evaluating an integral by first changing the variables from x and y to u and v; while I am given what the new limits are in terms of u and v I cannot seem to be able to work backwards to obtain them in terms of x and y.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw a diagram of those boundaries you'll see they define four closed regions. Which one do you want?

PedroB said:

Homework Statement

What would be the limits for each of the integrals (one with respect to x, one with respect to y) of an area bounded by y=0, y=x and x^2+y^2=1?

Homework Equations

None that I can fathom

The Attempt at a Solution

I've rearranged the latter most equation to get x=√(1-y^2) and tried subbing in values for y=0 and y=x but that does not seem to work correctly.

If it helps this is part of a problem that involves evaluating an integral by first changing the variables from x and y to u and v; while I am given what the new limits are in terms of u and v I cannot seem to be able to work backwards to obtain them in terms of x and y.

Another words, you want to compute the area in carteasian coordinates and to avoid doing two double integrals, integrate with respect to x first, then y so need to compute:

[tex]\int_{y=y_0}^{y=y_1} \int_{x=g_1(y)}^{x=g_2(y)} 1 dxdy[/tex]

You drew a picture yet? I did and x is going from that diagonal line to the circle. Need to get both of those in terms of x(y). The diagonal line is easy. It's [itex]g_1(y)=x(y)=y[/itex]. You can express the ending limit on x by expressing x as a function of y for the equation of the circle. That gives you the inner integral. Now what is the limits on y? Well, y is going from zero to the point where the diagonal line hits the circle. You can finish it.

Edit: Oh, I see what haruspex is saying. I'm assuming it's below the diagonal line in the first quadrant. If not sorry.

Related to Establishing double integral limits

What is the purpose of establishing double integral limits?

Establishing double integral limits allows us to define the boundaries within which we will integrate a function over a two-dimensional region. This helps us to accurately calculate the area under a curve or the volume between two surfaces.

How do you determine the limits for a double integral?

The limits for a double integral are typically determined by the boundaries of the region being integrated over. This can be done by graphing the region and identifying the x and y values where the region begins and ends. The limits will then be the lowest and highest values for x and y within the region.

Can the limits for a double integral be negative?

Yes, the limits for a double integral can be negative. This is often the case when integrating over a region that extends into the negative x or y axis. It is important to carefully consider the boundaries of the region when determining the limits for a double integral.

What happens if the limits for a double integral are incorrect?

If the limits for a double integral are incorrect, the resulting calculation will also be incorrect. This can lead to inaccurate measurements of area or volume. It is important to double check the limits and ensure they accurately represent the boundaries of the region being integrated over.

Are there any techniques for simplifying the process of establishing double integral limits?

Yes, there are techniques such as changing the order of integration or using symmetry to simplify the limits for a double integral. These techniques can help to make the integration process more efficient and reduce the chances of making errors in calculating the limits.