Essay Writing Help: Struggling to Find a Topic?

• Thread starter decibel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Essay
In summary, the conversation revolved around suggestions for essay topics for a "Society" class. Ideas ranged from democracy and its flaws, philosophy vs. science, showboating in sports, the correlation between food crop loss and societal collapse, theism vs. atheism, the role of alcohol in society, and comparing the US and Canadian Constitutions. Ultimately, the individual settled on comparing two books on foreign ownership and industrialization in Canada for their essay.
decibel
I have to write an essay for my society class, and i can't think of any good topics, any idea's?

Physics news on Phys.org
I quite enjoy essays. :approve:

"Society" class? I am not sure what that is specifically. Care to explain the material you are covering?

I can't pretty much do this essay on anything.

Why fighting is integral to hockey.

That's a classic essay topic.

decibel said:
I can't pretty much do this essay on anything.

I'm assuming you said "can".

An interesting topic would be something around democracy and its benefits over other governmental systems, as well as its flaws. You could analyze what our ancestors have said about it, such as famous philosophers and scientists.

Another massive topic is Philosophy vs. Science. Or philosophical reason vs. empirical argument.

I guess for the most part, it depends on your personal preference.

This is along ek's line :

"Why showboating is essential to Football"

hmmm...interesting interesting...more ideas would be nice tho.

Gokul43201 said:
This is along ek's line :

"Why showboating is essential to Football"

Is that sarcastic?

Because the two are totally different entities.

Showboating in anything is stupid. Fighting is integral to hockey. If you disagree you are either European, American media, or just don't watch hockey. I'm guessing the last option.

Along similar lines again, how about the role of gladitorial related sports (football, hockey, boxing, to some extent soccer and auto racing to name a few) in society.

Or along totally different lines, research and discuss the possible correlation between the loss of a primary food crop and the fall of a society. (Examples are the USSR who began buying wheat 20 years before their breakup, and possibly the Mayans.)

Mmmm...I am not sure perfectly if the following suggestion will be suitable..but can give some "launching" poitns for essays:

-The Theism and atheism movements globally [e.g atheism is increasing in Europe..but thiesm in increasing in China..reasons..predictions on the Globe scale after X years...etc] [Here the essay can look at the "global society"" or the "global societyies" depends how you look at it in you essay]

-What serve people (society) better: A weak democarcy or a strong dectatorship?
(there is many braches about this topic..you can make it wide or norrow until will fir the length you want for the essay!)

These just comes up out of my mind now..i hope they do not sounds stupid...

How about "Global warming has nothing to do with rising CO2 levels, and a lot to do with the Sun's varying output, Volcanic action, and the 'wobble' in the Earth's orbit"

If your teacher likes Kerry, do it on Kerry and how he would help society.

If your teacher is brainwashed/feared to like Bush, do it on Bush and how he would help protect your "freedom".

Any more wonderful topics?

Compare and contrast the US and Canadian Constitutions.
What are the differences between cat lovers and dog lovers?
The role of alcohol in society
Reality TV - a new phenomenon
The difference between men and women [that might be a long essay, you might pick one of those differences]
The role of the internet in modern politics

Last edited:
What about science and the society?

Asimov wrote some pretty good essays on this sort of stuff. Don't copy it, but ideas. Get reference and update it since this is year 2004.

since you're in Canada, how about the following:

- compare/contrast Canada's position in North America with that of a smaller country/countries (Belgium, Netherlands, Spain etc) in Europe
- assess the impact of continentalism on Canadian unity & federalism
- in what ways does NAFTA/FTA compare with the EU as a trade bloc?
- what use is NAFTA/FTA now, since Canada & the US are both member of the WTO?
- describe the plans for the various national power grids put forward in Canada since the 1950s, and why they got shot down
- will the NAFTA cause our supply-management systems in agriculture to be phased out?
- what has the impact of the NAFTA been on Canada's ability to compete in: the forestry value-added sector? electronics and applied technology? Canada's inland and coastal fishery? vegetable and food processing industries? attracting foreign investments in production to the serve the North American market?
- what are the benefits and disadvantages of agreeing to treat US and Mexican individuals and corporations as Canadian nationals?

Thanks everyone, i think i got a topic.

here's another idea
read the following:
- Open for Business: The Roots of Foreign Ownership in Canada by Gordon Laxer
- Not for Export: Toward a Political Economy of Canada's Arrested Industrialization by Glen Williams

and then write about which one is more convincing and why

Related to Essay Writing Help: Struggling to Find a Topic?

1. How do I come up with a topic for my essay?

Coming up with a topic for an essay can be a daunting task, but there are a few strategies you can use to make it easier. First, consider your interests and passions - what do you enjoy learning about? Next, think about current events or issues that are important to you. You can also look for inspiration from books, movies, or other media. Finally, try brainstorming or freewriting to generate ideas.

2. What should I do if I can't think of a topic?

If you're struggling to come up with a topic, don't panic. Take a break and come back to it later, or try talking to a friend or teacher for ideas. You can also try using writing prompts or looking for essay prompts online. Remember, it's okay if your topic evolves or changes as you research and write - the most important thing is to choose a topic that interests you and that you can write about effectively.

3. How do I know if my topic is too broad or too narrow?

A common mistake when choosing a topic is making it either too broad or too narrow. A topic that is too broad will be difficult to cover in the scope of an essay, while a topic that is too narrow may not have enough material to write about. To avoid this, make sure your topic is specific enough to be manageable, but broad enough to allow for enough research and analysis.

4. Can I get help with choosing a topic?

Absolutely! If you're struggling to find a topic, don't be afraid to reach out to your teacher, a tutor, or a writing center for guidance. They can offer suggestions and help you narrow down your options. You can also seek inspiration from sample essays or ask for feedback on your ideas from friends or classmates.

5. How can I make sure my topic is appropriate for my assignment?

When choosing a topic, it's important to make sure it aligns with the requirements of your assignment. Make sure to carefully read the assignment guidelines and any prompts provided by your teacher. If you're unsure, don't hesitate to ask your teacher for clarification. Additionally, make sure your topic is relevant and appropriate for the course or subject you're writing about.