Error estimate for Taylor polynomials

In summary, to find an n such that | e - (1 + (1/1!) + (1/2!) + (1/3!) + ... + (1/n!) | < 0.000005, we can use the error estimate for Taylor polynomials. By setting a = 0 and x = 1, we can calculate the max error using the nth derivative of f(x) = ex. By picking a value for k above the value of e, and solving for n+1 in the inequality (n+1)! > 3/0.000005, we can find the value of n needed to make the error small enough.
emc92
Use the error estimate for Taylor polynomials to find an n such that

| e - (1 + (1/1!) + (1/2!) + (1/3!) + ... + (1/n!) | < 0.000005

all i have right now is the individual components...

f(x) = ex
Tn (x) = 1/ (n-1)!

k/(n-1)! |x-a|n+1 = 0.000005
a = 0
x = 1

I don't know where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
emc92 said:
Use the error estimate for Taylor polynomials to find an n such that

| e - (1 + (1/1!) + (1/2!) + (1/3!) + ... + (1/n!) | < 0.000005

all i have right now is the individual components...

f(x) = ex
Tn (x) = 1/ (n-1)!

k/(n-1)! |x-a|n+1 = 0.000005
a = 0
x = 1

I don't know where to go from here

The max error if your last term is$$
\frac {f^{(n)}(a)(x-a)^n}{n!}$$ is$$
\left | \frac {f^{(n+1)}(c)(x-a)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}\right |$$As you have already observed ##a=0## and ##x = 1##. How big can that derivative term be for ##0\le c\le 1##? Once you have that, figure out how large ##n## needs to be to make it small enough.

how do i figure out c?

i just looked over my notes again. we started this problem in class, and our professor told us to pick a value for k above the value of e.

so if k is 3,
3/(n+1)! = 0.000005

so now i have to find n?

LCKurtz said:
The max error if your last term is$$
\frac {f^{(n)}(a)(x-a)^n}{n!}$$ is$$
\left | \frac {f^{(n+1)}(c)(x-a)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}\right |$$As you have already observed ##a=0## and ##x = 1##. How big can that derivative term be for ##0\le c\le 1##? Once you have that, figure out how large ##n## needs to be to make it small enough.

emc92 said:
how do i figure out c?

emc92 said:
i just looked over my notes again. we started this problem in class, and our professor told us to pick a value for k above the value of e.

so if k is 3,
3/(n+1)! = 0.000005

so now i have to find n?

You don't have to "figure out c". You have the nth derivative of your function evaluated at c, and c is in the interval [0,1]. You don't know the exact value of c so you ask yourself, "how big can ##f^{(n)}(c)= e^c## be for c in [0,1]. Do you understand why your instructor says to pick k > e?

To answer your last question, you don't want 3/(n+1)! = 0.000005. You would be very lucky to find an integer n giving equailty. You want 3/(n+1)! < 0.000005. Writing it a different way, you want$$
(n+1)! > \frac 3 {.000005}$$Factorials grow very quickly. Is shouldn't be difficult to check by hand how big n needs to be.

Related to Error estimate for Taylor polynomials

1. What is a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor polynomial is a mathematical function that approximates a given function at a specific point by using a finite number of terms from its Taylor series. It is useful for estimating the value of a function at a certain point without having to evaluate the function directly.

2. How is the error estimate calculated for Taylor polynomials?

The error estimate for a Taylor polynomial is calculated using the remainder term in the Taylor series. This term represents the difference between the actual value of the function and the value calculated using the Taylor polynomial. The error estimate can be found by taking the absolute value of the remainder term and using it to bound the actual error.

3. Can Taylor polynomials be used to approximate any function?

No, Taylor polynomials can only be used to approximate analytic functions, meaning they can be represented by a convergent power series. Functions that have discontinuities, infinite discontinuities, or non-continuous derivatives cannot be approximated using Taylor polynomials.

4. How accurate are Taylor polynomials?

The accuracy of a Taylor polynomial depends on the specific function and the number of terms used in the polynomial. In general, the more terms that are included, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, the accuracy may decrease as the distance from the point of approximation increases.

5. How can Taylor polynomials be used in real-world applications?

Taylor polynomials can be used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to approximate the behavior of a function and make predictions. For example, in physics, Taylor polynomials can be used to estimate the position and velocity of a moving object based on its acceleration, or to predict the behavior of a system over time.