Erroneous application of the quotient rule

In summary, Zach mistakenly applied the quotient rule in a calculus test and got the correct answer. This led to the equation f(x) = (x-x^2)f'(x), which is a separable differential equation. With the help of integration, it can be solved to find that f(x) = abs(x/(1-x)) + C.
greenpick
Hello everyone, first time poster here. I've been a lurker for about a week, but finally decided to join because I cannot for the life of me figure out this problem.

Homework Statement

Zach has trouble with the Quotient Rule; he thinks that d/dx (f(x)/g(x)) =
f′(x)/g′(x). On his last calculus test, Zach applied this erroneous rule to a quotient in which g(x) = x.
Somehow, he managed to get the right answer. What are all the possibilities for the function f(x)?

Homework Equations

d/dx (f(x)/g(x)) = f′(x)/g′(x) (Zach's rule)
d/dx (f(x)/g(x)) = [f′(x)g(x) - f(x)g′(x)] / (g(x))^2 (actual quotient rule)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first attempted to set the derivative using Zach's equation equal to the derivative using the quotient rule.
After simplification, I got
f(x) = (x-x^2)f′(x)
I am not really sure what to do at this point however. I am assuming it is something either really obvious, or really not-so-obvious. I tried using a substitution, and even an hour of trial and error, but I am just not seeing it. Am I going to have to use the limit definition of the derivative? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned integration yet? This amounts to being a differential equation. What I mean is that you can solve for f by performing the following integration:
[tex]\int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \,dx = \int \frac{1}{x(1-x)} \,dx[/tex]

f(x) = (x-x^2)f′(x) looks correct. No, you don't need any limits. Now it's a separable differential equation. Do you know anything about solving differential equations?

Dick said:
f(x) = (x-x^2)f′(x) looks correct. No, you don't need any limits. Now it's a separable differential equation. Do you know anything about solving differential equations?

Isn't this exactly what I just posted?

n!kofeyn said:
Isn't this exactly what I just posted?

Of course it is. I didn't see your post before I posted. Want me to delete it?

Dick said:
Of course it is. I didn't see your post before I posted. Want me to delete it?

Haha. Sorry. No problem. There's no reason to delete. :)

Wow, thank you guys for the quick replies.

Fortunatly, we just started learning antiderivatives and the basics of integrals in class the end of last week. UNfortunatly, we haven't gone over differential equations with integrals. It appears that I need to find the antiderivative of 1 / [x(1-x)]. Is this correct? It looks like I am going to have to make a substitution.
This is just a shot in the dark, but would I...
let u = x(1-x) so that [tex]\int\frac{1}{x(1-x)}dx[/tex] becomes [tex]\int\frac{1}{u}dx[/tex] ?
But would I need to change dx to du in the second integral? would it then become
[tex]\int\frac{1}{u}du[/tex] ?
Am I on the right track?

First notice that
[tex]\frac{1}{x(1-x)} = \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]
Then
[tex]\begin{align*}
\int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \,dx &= \int \frac{1}{x(1-x)} \,dx \\
\ln[f(x)] &= \int \frac{1}{x} \,dx + \int \frac{1}{1-x} \,dx
\end{align*}[/tex]

Can you finish it now?

Ah, I did not even notice that log derivative.
So I would have
[tex]\int\frac{1}{x}dx[/tex] + [tex]\int\frac{1}{1-x}dx[/tex] = ln(abs(x)) - ln(abs(1-x))
ln(abs(x)) - ln(abs(1-x)) = ln(f(x)) = ln(abs(x/(1-x)))
f(x) = e[tex]^{ln(abs(x/(1-x)))}[/tex] = abs(x/(1-x)) + C ?

greenpick said:
Ah, I did not even notice that log derivative.
So I would have
[tex]\int\frac{1}{x}dx[/tex] + [tex]\int\frac{1}{1-x}dx[/tex] = ln(abs(x)) - ln(abs(1-x))
ln(abs(x)) - ln(abs(1-x)) = ln(f(x)) = ln(abs(x/(1-x)))
f(x) = e[tex]^{ln(abs(x/(1-x)))}[/tex] = abs(x/(1-x)) + C ?

Yep!

Wow! Thank you guys so much that helped.

No problem! Congratulations on solving your first differential equation.

Related to Erroneous application of the quotient rule

1. What is the quotient rule in calculus?

The quotient rule is a formula used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is the ratio of two other functions. It is used when the functions cannot be easily differentiated using the power rule or other basic differentiation rules.

2. How is the quotient rule applied?

The quotient rule states that the derivative of a function f(x)/g(x) is equal to (g(x)*f'(x) - f(x)*g'(x)) / g(x)^2. This means that you multiply the denominator by the derivative of the numerator, subtract the product of the numerator and the derivative of the denominator, and then divide by the square of the denominator.

3. What are some common mistakes when applying the quotient rule?

One common mistake when applying the quotient rule is forgetting to square the denominator in the final step. Another mistake is not correctly identifying the numerator and denominator of the original function, which can lead to incorrect results.

4. How do you know when to use the quotient rule?

The quotient rule is used when differentiating a function that is the ratio of two other functions. This is usually indicated by the presence of a fraction in the original function. The quotient rule can also be used when the power rule or other basic differentiation rules do not apply.

5. What are some applications of the quotient rule?

The quotient rule is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields where rates of change are important. It is also used in optimization problems and in finding the derivatives of functions involving trigonometric or exponential functions.