Errata for Greiner's Series on Theoretical Physics

In summary: Thank you.In summary, there have been numerous complaints about typos in the Greiner series, which has otherwise received high acclaim. However, no errata has been found for the books. Some suggest that the typos are due to poor revision of translations from German to English. Despite efforts to contact Springer, no corrections have been made. The latest versions of the books are listed, with the suggestion to wait for sales to purchase them at a lower price. Further updates on typos and corrections will be shared as they are found.
FourEyedRaven
Hi.

The #1 complaint about the Greiner series are the typos. It's a shame how it undermines the potential of this series which is, otherwise, highly acclaimed. Do you know where errata for any of these volumes can be found? Or perhaps those who have read some of the books could share their own corrections so we can gather all of them in one place.

I would appreciate your replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
My god... Glad someone asked. I've also been searching for the errata but with no luck. I really hope someone could compile or the publisher should have been more responsible with this since they are destroying a gem here!

Likes FourEyedRaven
berkeman said:
Is it because of the translations from German to English, or were the typos in the original German books too?

http://onphysicsbooks.blogspot.com/2009/01/walter-greiner.html
My Google Search didn't find any errata for this series. Have you tried contacting Springer?

I believe it is due to poor revision of the translations. One review on amazon mentions that, occasionally, the sentences are a bit strange on that volume because they were translated. But the real problem seems to be the typos in the formulas. The volumes that have new editions do not have as many typos. But it is a big complaint about the other volumes.

I did not contact Springer. But if they had erratas for this series they would probably publish them, like they do with other books. Their website does not have errata for these volumes.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Oh, I am really interested in W. Greiner's textbook series. I have sent an email to Springer asking for the latest printings. If anyone is still interested I will post here their answer. In my opinion, his books are a gem.
I have not found any list of errors on the internet, either.

Llukis said:
Oh, I am really interested in W. Greiner's textbook series. I have sent an email to Springer asking for the latest printings. If anyone is still interested I will post here their answer. In my opinion, his books are a gem.
I have not found any list of errors on the internet, either.

I'm still reading the 1st volume. So far the number of typos have been much lower than I thought. I bought the ebooks on Springer when they were on sale, so I got the latest versions of all of them. Even the 1st volume, which is still only a 1st edition, is pretty much free of typos. It is more common to find a weird phrasing than a typo. The translation is not perfect, but very good. Overall I'm very happy so far.

EDIT: I did contact Springer, exchanged a bunch of emails, but it went nowhere. I will probably post here the typos I find as the years go by. I'm doing this on my free time.

I have no answer from Springer yet...

• Sad
Likes yucheng
So far I have no news from Springer.
Perhaps , we could share the typos and corrections in a new thread.
By the way, does anybody know which are the latest edition or printings of each one of the Greiner's books?

Classical Mechanics : Point Particles and Relativity - 1st edition (2004)
Classical Mechanics: Systems of Particles and Hamiltonian Dynamics - 2nd Edition (2010)
Classical Electrodynamics - 1st Edition (1998)
Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics - 1st Edition (1995)
Quantum Mechanics: An Introduction - 4th Edition (2001)
Quantum Mechanics: Special Chapters - 1st Edition, 2nd Printing (2001)
Quantum Mechanics: Symmetries - 2nd Edition, 3rd Printing (2001)
Relativistic Quantum Mechanics: Wave Equations - 3rd Edition (2000, softcover reprint of the 1996 hardcover)
Field Quantization - 1st Edition (1996)
Quantum Electrodynamics - 4th Edition (2009)
Quantum Chromodynamics - 3rd Edition (2007)
Nuclear Models - 1st Edition (1996)
Gauge Theory of Weak Interactions - 4th Edition (2009)

As far as I know these are the latest versions of the books. I have bought almost all of them from Springer's online store in ebook format when they were on sale. If you wait long enough you can buy them for a much lower price than the normal one.

If someone finds any later prints or editions, please let me know.

• Love
Likes Llukis

1. What is "Errata for Greiner's Series on Theoretical Physics"?

"Errata for Greiner's Series on Theoretical Physics" is a compilation of corrections and updates for the popular series of textbooks written by theoretical physicist Walter Greiner. These textbooks cover a wide range of topics in theoretical physics, including quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, and statistical mechanics.

2. Why is it important to have an errata for these textbooks?

As with any published work, there may be errors or typos that were missed during the editing process. Having an errata allows for these mistakes to be corrected and ensures that students are receiving accurate information in their studies.

3. Who creates the errata for Greiner's textbooks?

The errata for Greiner's textbooks are typically created by a team of experts in the field of theoretical physics, often including the author himself. These experts carefully review the textbooks and identify any errors or updates that need to be made.

4. How frequently is the errata updated?

The errata for Greiner's textbooks is usually updated with each new edition of the textbooks. This allows for any errors or updates to be addressed and incorporated into the latest version of the textbooks.

5. Where can I find the errata for Greiner's textbooks?

The errata for Greiner's textbooks can usually be found on the publisher's website or on the author's personal website. It may also be included in the latest edition of the textbooks or available for purchase as a separate supplement.