ER Patients talk to people in white coats

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary, researchers found that ER patients are more likely to talk to survey takers wearing white coats, with the permission of the emergency room staff. The most commonly consumed alcohol brands among ER patients were Budweiser, Steel Reserve Malt Liquor, Colt 45 malt liquor, Bud Ice, and Bud Light. However, the speaker prefers Bristol Brewing's beer and believes that's why dentists do not wear Hawaiian shirts.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In a ground breaking study, researchers have found that ER patients talk to people in white coats!

“The Federal Trade Commission, in reports, and in personal communication with me, said this kind of research cannot be done,” David Jernigan, a professor of public health at Johns Hopkins and the director of the study told NBC News. “The National Institute on Drug Abuse gave me similar pushback.”

At first, Jernigan, said, many patients refused to talk. But then the survey takers, with the permission of the emergency room staff, donned white coats. After that, patients talked freely.

What's even more impressive is that the real doctors and nurses all wore blue scrubs! Griped one patient, "I wish the janitors would stop pestering me about dripping blood all over the place. I can't help it if I'm bleeding! And wish that darn doctor would come back! I'm beginning to worry he didn't like what kind of beer I drank!"

As an off-topic aside, what kind of beer do you like to drink before visiting the Emergency Room?

Physics news on Phys.org
BobG said:
As an off-topic aside, what kind of beer do you like to drink before visiting the Emergency Room?
Coincidentally, . . . .

When the Hopkins researchers surveyed ER patients who’d been drinking, they found that Budweiser was the number one brand consumed, followed Steel Reserve Malt Liquor, Colt 45 malt liquor, Bud Ice (another malt liquor), Bud Light, and a discount-priced vodka called Barton’s.

Though Budweiser has 9.1 percent of the national beer market, it represented 15 percent of the of the E.R. “market.”
. . . .

When the Hopkins researchers surveyed ER patients who’d been drinking, they found that Budweiser was the number one brand consumed, followed Steel Reserve Malt Liquor, Colt 45 malt liquor, Bud Ice (another malt liquor), Bud Light, and a discount-priced vodka called Barton’s.

Though Budweiser has 9.1 percent of the national beer market, it represented 15 percent of the of the E.R. “market.”
. . . .

That's why I don't visit the ER. I don't like any of those brands. I prefer http://www.bristolbrewing.com/our_beers.asp !

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why dentists don't show up in a Hawaiian shirt, they figured it out a long time ago.

I find this study to be fascinating and potentially very valuable in understanding patient behavior in emergency room settings. The fact that patients were more willing to talk to survey takers wearing white coats is a significant finding, as it suggests that the white coat may hold a certain level of authority and trust in the minds of patients. This could have implications for how healthcare professionals interact with patients and the importance of appearance and perceived authority in patient care.

However, I am also concerned about the pushback the researcher received from the Federal Trade Commission and the National Institute on Drug Abuse. It is important for researchers to follow ethical guidelines and obtain proper permissions and consent before conducting studies, especially involving vulnerable populations such as patients in an emergency room setting.

As for the off-topic question about beer preferences before visiting the emergency room, I would like to remind readers that alcohol consumption can have serious consequences and should not be taken lightly. It is important for individuals to prioritize their health and well-being, especially when seeking medical attention.

Related to ER Patients talk to people in white coats

1. How do ER patients communicate with people in white coats?

ER patients communicate with people in white coats through verbal and nonverbal communication. Verbal communication includes speaking and listening, while nonverbal communication includes body language, facial expressions, and gestures.

2. Who are the people in white coats that ER patients talk to?

The people in white coats that ER patients talk to are typically healthcare professionals, such as doctors, nurses, and other medical staff. These individuals are trained and qualified to provide medical care and assistance to patients in the emergency room.

3. Why do ER patients talk to people in white coats?

ER patients talk to people in white coats because they are seeking medical help and treatment for their condition. These healthcare professionals have the knowledge and skills to assess and diagnose patients, as well as provide appropriate treatment and care.

4. How do people in white coats communicate with ER patients who are unable to speak?

People in white coats use a variety of methods to communicate with ER patients who are unable to speak. This may include using written communication, hand gestures, or communication devices. In some cases, they may also involve family members or caregivers to assist in communication.

5. Are ER patients able to understand what people in white coats are saying?

In most cases, ER patients are able to understand what people in white coats are saying. However, there may be instances where language barriers or other communication difficulties make it challenging for patients to fully understand. In these cases, healthcare professionals may use interpreters or other communication aids to ensure effective communication with the patient.