Equivalence Relations in Mathematics: Understanding Transitivity and Symmetry

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a relation R defined by the equation a/b = c/d. The relation is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. The confusion arises from the misunderstanding that all x values must be considered for each property. However, the properties only need to hold for each pair of values. The conversation also touches on the concept of equivalent classes.
Kingyou123

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

a/b=c/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out with transitivity and I figure it's transitive because a/b=e/f = af=be=(a,b)R(e,f).
It can't be symmetric because ad does not equal bc, 1*4 does not equal 2*3
I'm I correct or completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrong. What does equivalence mean? Can you define all properties? (first in general)

You have to show that the relation R is:

1) Reflexive: (a,b)R(a,b)
2) Symmetric: (a,b)R(c,d) iff (c,d)R(a,b)
3) Transitive: If (a,b)R(c,d) and (c,d)R(e,f), then (a,b)R(e,f)

Can you work the rest out from here?

Kingyou123 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 96365

Homework Equations

a/b=c/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out with transitivity and I figure it's transitive because a/b=e/f = af=be=(a,b)R(e,f).
Note that in the problem statement it says ##ad = bc \Leftrightarrow \frac a b = \frac c d##. IOW, these two equations are equivalent. You should not have the 2nd and 4th "equals" there.
Kingyou123 said:
It can't be symmetric because ad does not equal bc, 1*4 does not equal 2*3
You're missing the point. R would be symmetric if (a, b) R (c, d) implies that (c, d) R (a, b).

Think about what the relation as defined means, relative to the set of numbers in the problem. Do you understand why (1, 3) R (2, 6)?
Kingyou123 said:
I'm I correct or completely wrong?

Last edited:
TeethWhitener said:
You have to show that the relation R is:

1) Reflexive: (a,b)R(a,b)
2) Symmetric: (a,b)R(c,d) iff (c,d)R(a,b)
3) Transitive: If (a,b)R(c,d) and (c,d)R(e,f), then (a,b)R(e,f)

Can you work the rest out from here?
Symmetric= if (a,b)R(C,d) then (c,d)R(a,b) since ad=bc
Reflexive =since a/b=a/b
My confusion was with that I thought it had to be for all x values.

Kingyou123 said:
My confusion was with that I thought it had to be for all x values
Nope, all pairs of values.

TeethWhitener said:
Nope, all pairs of values.
Could you explain part b?

Kingyou123 said:
Could you explain part b?
For example 1/2 = 2/4 = 3/6, so (1,2)R(2,4) and (2,4)R(3,6). These three pairs are all equivalent and build together an equivalent class. One of them represents this class. But there are more classes.

Related to Equivalence Relations in Mathematics: Understanding Transitivity and Symmetry

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a relation between two elements that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This means that for any element x, it is related to itself (reflexive), if x is related to y then y is also related to x (symmetric), and if x is related to y and y is related to z, then x is also related to z (transitive).

2. How is an equivalence relation represented?

An equivalence relation can be represented in various ways, such as through a table, a graph, or a set of ordered pairs. For example, the relation "is equal to" can be represented as {(1,1), (2,2), (3,3), ...} where each element is related to itself.

3. What are some examples of equivalence relations?

Some examples of equivalence relations include "is congruent to" in geometry, "is equivalent to" in logic, and "is parallel to" in linear algebra. In everyday life, an example of an equivalence relation is "is the same age as" or "is a sibling of".

4. How do you determine if a relation is an equivalence relation?

To determine if a relation is an equivalence relation, you need to check if it is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. If it satisfies all three properties, then it is an equivalence relation. If it fails to satisfy any of the properties, then it is not an equivalence relation.

5. What is the importance of equivalence relations in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are important in mathematics because they allow us to classify objects into equivalence classes. This helps us to better understand and analyze complex structures and systems. Equivalence relations are also closely related to the concept of equality, which is fundamental in mathematical reasoning and proof.