Equivalence classes for an particular relation question

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a matrix M and its properties. The poster is seeking help with determining the value of \{Me_1~\vert~M~\text{orthogonal}\}, specifically the norm of Me_1.
LHS

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1/unledjs.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi,

If anyone could help me with this I would be very glad! I have said that M=(aij) and M^T=M^-1
therefore if e1 relates v, where v=(x,y,z) then v=(a11,a21,a31) and all of those values can't be simultaneously zero for M^-1 to exist.. can't seem to get any further!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, you'll have to determine what [tex]\{Me_1~\vert~M~\text{orthogonal}\}[/tex] is. Now, do you know what [tex]\|Me_1\|[/tex] is (= the norm of [tex]Me_1[/tex])??

Related to Equivalence classes for an particular relation question

1. What are equivalence classes for a particular relation?

Equivalence classes refer to a set of elements that are related to each other by a certain equivalence relation. In other words, elements in the same equivalence class share the same characteristics or properties.

2. How do you determine equivalence classes?

To determine equivalence classes, you need to first identify the equivalence relation for the particular relation. Then, group the elements that share the same equivalence relation into separate classes. The number of equivalence classes will depend on the number of distinct equivalence relations present in the relation.

3. Can two elements belong to different equivalence classes for the same relation?

No, two elements cannot belong to different equivalence classes for the same relation. If two elements are related by the same equivalence relation, they must belong to the same equivalence class.

4. What is the importance of equivalence classes in relation questions?

Equivalence classes are important in relation questions as they help us to better understand the relationship between elements in a set. They also help us to identify patterns and properties within a relation, which can aid in solving more complex problems.

5. Are equivalence classes unique for a particular relation?

Yes, equivalence classes are unique for a particular relation as they are based on the specific equivalence relation defined for that relation. However, different relations can have the same equivalence classes if they share the same equivalence relation.