Equivalance Relations Could some one check my work please?

In summary, the members of the equivalence relation on {1,2,3,4,5} are listed as A) {(1,1),(1,2),(1,3),(2,2),(2,1),(2,3),(3,1),(3,2),(3,3),(4,4),(4,5),(5,4),(5,5)} and B) {(1),(2,2),(2,4),(4,2),(4,4),(3,3),(3,5),(5,5),(5,3)}. To find the matrix of the relation from X to X, list all members of X across the top and vertically on the left. For
ptex
Question, List the members of the equivalance relation on {1,2,3,4,5} by the given partition. Identify the equivalance classes
A) {(1,2,3),(4,5)}
B) {(1),(2,4),(5,3)}

My solution is;
A) {(1,1),(1,2),(1,3),(2,2),(2,1),(2,3),(3,1),(3,2),(3,3),(4,4),(4,5),(5,4),(5,5)}

B) {(1),(2,2),(2,4),(4,2),(4,4),(3,3),(3,5),(5,5),(5,3)}

Then the next qusetion for which I don't know where to begin is;
For the above (A and B) find the matrix of the relation from X to X. Show the ordering that you are using :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What you have is correct. For the "matrix" question, do this:
List all members of X across the top and vertically on the left on your paper. For each intersection, IF the member of X on the left IS equivalent to the member on the top, write "1", otherwise write "0".

For B (the easier of the two) this is

Code:
    1   2   3   4   5
1   1   0   0   0   0
2   0   1   0   1   0
3   0   0   1   0   1 
4   0   1   0   1   0
5   0   0   1   0   1
The matrix is
[1 0 0 0 0]
[0 1 0 1 0]
[0 0 1 0 1]
[0 1 0 1 0]
[0 0 1 0 1]

The diagonal is all 1s because an equivalence relation is reflexive and the matrix is symmetric because an equivalence relation is symmetric. The number of 1s in each row and column is the number of elements equivalent to that member.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you but if its not too much trouble why is it that 1 and 2 as in the first "1" is equivalent but not 1 and 3?

First of all his horizontal row is just a space off, 1 is not related to 2 in example B. Just like 1 is not related to 3 in example B. He didn't do example A.

Thank you now I see it.

I long the same lines could some one check this?

R={(x,y)|x<y};ordering of X:1,2,3,4

My solution is;
? 1 2 3 4
1 0 1 1 1
2 0 0 1 1
3 0 0 0 1
4 0 0 0 0

[0 1 1 1]
[0 0 1 1]
[0 0 0 1]
[0 0 0 0]

OK?

Yes (It won't let me post less than 10 letters!)

Kool I think I get it. Thank you

Related to Equivalance Relations Could some one check my work please?

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This means that for any element a in a set, a is related to itself (reflexive), if a is related to b then b is also related to a (symmetric), and if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c (transitive).

2. How are equivalence relations different from other types of relations?

Equivalence relations are different from other types of relations because they satisfy all three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Other types of relations may only satisfy one or two of these properties.

3. What are some examples of equivalence relations?

Some examples of equivalence relations include "having the same birthday as," "being the same age as," and "being the same height as." These relations satisfy the properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity.

4. How are equivalence relations used in mathematics and science?

Equivalence relations are used in mathematics and science to classify objects or elements into equivalence classes. This allows for easier analysis and comparison of objects that share certain characteristics. Equivalence relations are also used in graph theory, group theory, and set theory.

5. Can you give an example of how equivalence relations are used in real life?

One example of how equivalence relations are used in real life is in the classification of species. Organisms that share similar characteristics are grouped together into the same species, creating equivalence classes. This allows for easier study and understanding of different species and their relationships to one another.