Equillibrium ladder on a wall problem

• Thread starter odie5533
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, an amateur was trying to solve a problem, but made a small mistake that led to incorrect results.
odie5533

Homework Statement

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4989/scanuy8.png
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8163/fbdzh7.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Been working on this one for at least an hour now =/

[tex]n_{1}[/tex] is the normal force of the wall on the ladder
[tex]n_{2}[/tex] is the normal force of the ground on the ladder

[tex]\sum F_{x} = f_{s} - n_{1} = 0[/tex]
[tex]f_{s} = n_{1}[/tex]

[tex]\sum F_{y} = n_{2} - m_{ladder}g - m_{weight}g = 0[/tex]
[tex]n_{2} = 150(9.8) = 1470N[/tex]

[tex]\tau = Fdcos\theta[/tex]
[tex]\theta = sin^{-1}(4.5/5) = 64[/tex]
[tex]\sum\tau = (n_{1})(5)cos(64) - (m_{ladder}g)(2.5)(cos(64)) - (m_{weight}g)(5)(cos(64)) = 0[/tex]
[tex]n_{1} = 1131N[/tex]

And since f_{s} = n_{1}, the answer I get is 1131N, which is wrong. If anyone can see where I messed up, I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It just occurred to me that it is asking for the entire force from the ground, not just the frictional force.

[tex]F_{tot} = \sqrt{n_{2}^2 + f_{s}^2} = \sqrt{1131^2 + 1470^2} = 1852 N[/tex]

Still off =/

*EDIT* using the answers as I guide, I figured out a way to make my calculations match an answer, but I have a feeling it is wrong...

[tex]f_{s-max} = n_{2} * \mu_{s} = 1470(0.40) = 588N[/tex]
[tex]F_{tot} = \sqrt{n_{2}^2 + f_{s-max}^2} = \sqrt{1470^2 + 588^2} = 1583 N[/tex]

Which matches an answer, but I think the ladder should be sliding down with all the weight...

Last edited:
odie5533 said:
It just occurred to me that it is asking for the entire force from the ground, not just the frictional force.

[tex]F_{tot} = \sqrt{n_{2}^2 + f_{s}^2} = \sqrt{1131^2 + 1470^2} = 1852 N[/tex]

Still off =/

*EDIT* using the answers as I guide, I figured out a way to make my calculations match an answer, but I have a feeling it is wrong...

[tex]f_{s-max} = n_{2} * \mu_{s} = 1470(0.40) = 588N[/tex]
[tex]F_{tot} = \sqrt{n_{2}^2 + f_{s-max}^2} = \sqrt{1470^2 + 588^2} = 1583 N[/tex]

Which matches an answer, but I think the ladder should be sliding down with all the weight...
well I'm not sure what you got anymore, but i notice that in your original post you incorrectly calculated the torque of the normal force at the wall you used cos64 when you should have used sin 64...that should give you the correct answer..the friction force at the base is not necessarily (mu)n2, it is equal or less than that value depending on your corrected torque equation.

[tex]n_{1}(5)sin64 = (M_{ladder}g)(2.5)cos64 + (M_{weight}g)(5)cos64[/tex]
[tex]n_{1} = 550[/tex]
[tex]F_{tot} = \sqrt{550^2 + 1470^2} = 1570[/tex]

And 550 < [tex]f_{s-max}[/tex] of 588 :D

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome, you did a good job with this problem, just a small trig error threw it off. It's sometimes easier to use torque as the product of the force times the perpendicular distance rather than torque = Fdsintheta, where theta is the angle between the force and displacement vectors, because it's easy to mess up on the correct theta value.

Related to Equillibrium ladder on a wall problem

1. What is an equilibrium ladder on a wall problem?

An equilibrium ladder on a wall problem is a physics-based problem that involves a ladder resting against a wall, where the weight of the ladder, the angle of the ladder, and the coefficients of friction are given. The goal is to determine the minimum and maximum distance from the base of the ladder to the wall where the ladder will remain in equilibrium.

2. What are the key factors that affect the equilibrium ladder on a wall problem?

The key factors that affect the equilibrium ladder on a wall problem are the weight of the ladder, the angle of the ladder, and the coefficients of friction between the ladder and the wall and between the ladder and the ground.

3. How do I solve an equilibrium ladder on a wall problem?

To solve an equilibrium ladder on a wall problem, you can use the principles of static equilibrium, which state that the net force and net torque must be equal to zero for an object to be in equilibrium. You can set up equations using the weight of the ladder and the forces of friction to solve for the unknown variables, such as the distance from the base of the ladder to the wall.

4. What are the applications of understanding the equilibrium ladder on a wall problem?

Understanding the equilibrium ladder on a wall problem can be useful in a variety of real-life situations, such as construction, where ladders are commonly used. It can also help in understanding the principles of static equilibrium, which are crucial in many engineering and physics applications.

5. Are there any assumptions made in solving an equilibrium ladder on a wall problem?

Yes, there are some assumptions made in solving an equilibrium ladder on a wall problem. These include assuming that the ladder and the wall are rigid bodies, and that there is no movement or slipping between the ladder and the wall or between the ladder and the ground. Additionally, the ladder is assumed to be in a uniform position, with no variation in weight or shape along its length.