Finding the equilibrium temperature of a mixture substances

In summary: So overall it's a bit of a mess.I think you're starting to get the gist of the problem, but you're missing the details. The steam will condense to water at 100 deg C. This is a phase change, and the heat generated is Q=m*L.The ice will melt to water at 0 deg C. This is also a phase change, and the heat generated is Q=m*S.So at equilibrium, you have a mass M of water at temperature T. To determine T, you first use Q=m*L and Q=m*S to find the mass of water M. Then you use Q=m*c*T to find T. Finally
maanneaguila

Homework Statement

160g of steam at 100°C is added to 1000 g of ice at 0°C. What is the equilibrium temperature of the mixture? Assume the container has a negligible heat capacity.

Homework Equations

Qloss+Qgain=0;[m*c(delta T)] + [m*c(delta T)] = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

i have the final answer which is 19.3 degree Celsius but i don't know how to get it., i used the formula of Qloss+Qgain=0;[m*c(delta T)] + [m*c(delta T)] = 0. but my final answer is not 19.3.., can you please help me? what formula will i need to use? do i need to consider the latent heat of vaporization and fusion?if so, what should be the formula?

this is my solution;

Qloss(steam) + Qgain (ice) = 0

m*C (ΔT) + m*C (ΔT) = 0
160g*0.48cal/g C° (t-100°C) + 1000g*0.50cal/g C°(t-0) = 0
76.8 (t-100) + 500 (t-0) = 0
76.8 t - 7680 + 500 t = 0
576.8 t / 576.8 = 7680/576.8
t = 13.3 °C

Physics news on Phys.org
maanneaguila said:
do i need to consider the latent heat of vaporization and fusion?

What will happen to ice exactly at freezing if you add heat to it? What will happen to steam exactly at boiling if you remove heat from it?

the ice will melt and the steam will evaporate?

What are the distinct processes going on here? Think steam condensation, ice melting and heating of water.

Then take it in stages. First figure out how much heat is generated if all the steam condenses to water at 100 deg C. Then figure out how much heat is absorbed if all the ice melts to water at 0 deg C. There will be an "excess" of heat here, which you should compute and use later.

Now you have some water (how much?) at 100 deg C and some water (how much?) at 0 deg C. Figure out the equilibrium temperature from simply mixing these, which can be done by simple proportion.

Finally, use the heat "excess" you got in the first part to work out how many kelvin (or deg C) the water will go up by, add that to the previous equilibrium temperature you derived after the "mixing" step, and that's your final equilibrium temperature.

maanneaguila said:
this is my solution;

m*C (ΔT) + m*C (ΔT) = 0
t = 13.3 °C
You won't reach a solution until you involve all 3 specific heats: that of steam, of ice, and of water. You have involved only two. The steps Curious3141 detailed should be followed.

"how much heat is generated"

you mean the specific heat of a substance?

maanneaguila said:
"how much heat is generated"

you mean the specific heat of a substance?
A better word is "liberated". How much excess heat is liberated when that steam undergoes a phase change?

where will i place the specific heat of water? since no masses are given for water.

what should be the equation? :(((

You're not told how much water there is, no. And it's clear there is none to start with. But if you think about the problem, you'll see where the water is going to come from...

NO! The steam does not "evaporate". The two substances are mixed together in a sealed flask. No mass and no heat is lost.

still i didn't get it., :((( it's really hard to understand.., i really don't know what formula will i use.., i tried this formula, but still i get the wrong answer., don't know if what's the right value to substitute.. i don't know where to get or which one will i derive to get the right formula.., :'((( *sigh*

Qsteam =m*C (ΔT) + mL + m*C (ΔT) = Qice = -[mL + m*C (ΔT)]

When equilibrium is reached, you are going to end up with your flask containing a mass M of water at temperature T.

It's time to take a step back, and start over.

I suggest that you set yourself the task of writing a descriptive paragraph explaining in precise detail how the container contents change from what you start with, to what you end up with. In not less than 300 words. By forcing yourself to analyze the situation step by step with sufficient clarity that you are able to make a cogent written description, you will in the process map out the method for solving it mathematically. Forget equations at this stage, if you haven't grasped what's going on, how can you be confident that you'll come up with the right equations?

i got it! :)))

first, steam to water ; Q=m*Lv : Q= 160(540)

Q=86,400 (dunno the unit) lol. :)))second, ice to water ; Q=m*Lf : Q=1000(79.6)

Q= 79,600

the excess heat is; (Qsteam) 86,400 - (Qice) 79,600 = 8, 600then.., the initial temp of both subs.;

m*C (ΔT) + m*C (ΔT) = 0
t = 13.3 °C

then, the final temp of both subs. using this formula;

Q = m*c (T.final - T.initial)

where
Q= excess heat
m=mass of steam + mass of ice
c=specific heat of water
T.initial=13.3Q=1160 (1) (T - 13.3)
6800 =1160T - 15428
6800+15428 = 1160T
22228/1160 = 1160T/1160
19.16 or 19.2 = T:))) but still not the exact answer.., why? heheh

maanneaguila said:
then.., the initial temp of both subs.;

What "both subs" do you have here?

steam and ice?

A few problems.

You seem to be using calorie as the heat unit, which is acceptable, although SI units like J (Joule) are preferred. But this depends on what's covered in your course.

maanneaguila said:
i got it! :)))

Q=86,400 (dunno the unit) lol. :)))

Calories!

second, ice to water ; Q=m*Lf : Q=1000(79.6)

Q= 79,600

the excess heat is; (Qsteam) 86,400 - (Qice) 79,600 = 8, 600

Typo; I guess you meant 6,800 cal (units are important!).

then.., the initial temp of both subs.;

Inaccurate. At this point both the steam and ice have become water, so they are the same substance. You can distinguish them by naming them Q1 and Q2, for instance, but you can't call them steam and ice still.

m*C (ΔT) + m*C (ΔT) = 0

This shows a misconception. You used different specific heat capacities (those of steam and ice). They're close, so it doesn't affect the answer much, but you should just use one specific heat capacity - that of water, since everything is water at this stage.

t = 13.3 °C

then, the final temp of both subs. using this formula;

Q = m*c (T.final - T.initial)

where
Q= excess heat
m=mass of steam + mass of ice
c=specific heat of water
T.initial=13.3

Q=1160 (1) (T - 13.3)
6800 =1160T - 15428
6800+15428 = 1160T
22228/1160 = 1160T/1160
19.16 or 19.2 = T

:))) but still not the exact answer.., why? heheh

The rest looks OK. The answer may not match the book's exactly because you may use slightly different values for the specific heats, etc., but you have definitely messed up in the calculations, as I've indicated. Correct that, and see if you have a closer match.

maanneaguila said:
steam and ice?

How is that possible after you did

Q=86,400 (dunno the unit) lol. :)))

second, ice to water ; Q=m*Lf : Q=1000(79.6)

Q= 79,600

?

ok., thanks a lot! :)))

Related to Finding the equilibrium temperature of a mixture substances

1. What is meant by "equilibrium temperature"?

Equilibrium temperature refers to the temperature at which the substances in a mixture have reached thermal equilibrium, meaning they have all reached the same temperature and there is no net transfer of heat occurring between them.

2. How do you calculate the equilibrium temperature of a mixture of substances?

The equilibrium temperature can be calculated using the principle of energy conservation, where the total energy lost by a hotter substance is equal to the total energy gained by a cooler substance. This can be represented in the equation Qlost = Qgained, where Q represents the energy and is measured in units of joules (J).

3. Can the equilibrium temperature of a mixture of substances be lower than the temperature of the coldest substance?

Yes, it is possible for the equilibrium temperature to be lower than the temperature of the coldest substance. This can occur if the warmer substance has a lower specific heat capacity, meaning it requires less energy to raise its temperature compared to the cooler substance.

4. What factors can affect the equilibrium temperature of a mixture of substances?

The equilibrium temperature of a mixture of substances can be affected by the specific heat capacities of the substances, their initial temperatures, and the amount of each substance in the mixture. It can also be influenced by external factors such as the surrounding temperature and any heat transfer processes occurring.

5. Is it possible for a mixture of substances to have more than one equilibrium temperature?

No, a mixture of substances can only have one equilibrium temperature. This is because once the substances reach thermal equilibrium, their temperatures will be equal and there will be no net transfer of heat between them. Any further changes in temperature would require an external influence or disturbance.