Equilibrium reactions with iodine

In summary, in a practical activity involving iodine, NaOH, and H2SO4, the yellow color of iodine disappeared when NaOH was added and returned when H2SO4 was added. The equation for this reaction was not given, so the students had to determine it. It is possible that the I2 species is acting as an indicator instead of being involved in the reaction with NaOH and H2SO4. The equation proposed by the student is 4I2(l) + 2NaOH(aq) ---> 2I3-(aq) + 2NaI(aq) + 2OH-(aq) + H2SO4(aq) ---> Na2SO4(aq) +
jason1989

Homework Statement

this question is contained within the equilibruim area of study.

in a practical activity, we were supposed to 1/3 fill a vessel with iodine, and then add NaOH(aq) - when this was done, the yellowy colour of the iodine completely diappeared.

we then added the same amount of H2SO4(aq) - i think it was three drops or something - to the same vessel, and the iodine colour returned.

now, we were not given equations for these reactions - the point is that we were supposed to find the equation.
so I must be present as I2(l), correct?
and i know the formulae of the other reactants, but the equations i am not so sure about.

is the I2 species actually involved in a reaction with NaOH/H2SO4?? i would have thought so, but word around the class is that it is somehow acting as an indicator instead.
is this right?

Homework Equations

i don't really know what the equation should be, but i can't think of how it could be written with I2 as an indicator.
so i was thinking maybe this, if it's even possible...

4I2(l) + 2NaOH(aq) ---> 2I3-(aq) + 2NaI(aq) + 2OH-(aq) + H2SO4(aq) ---> Na2SO4(aq) + 2H2O(l) + 4I2(l)

(obviously there should be double-sided arrows in place of the normal arrows)

is this even remotely right?
i would be really grateful if you could help me out, I'm really confused with this prac.
:)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
NaOH and H2SO4 used, so obviously reaction is pH dependent.

Do you know how hypochlorites are made? (and it is no mistake that I ask about chlorine compounds; remember that to some extent chemistry of all halogens is similar). Chlorine bleach?

um, no i don't really know much about hypochlorites...:(
do you mean in this case something like IOH being formed??

so then the equation could be:
2I2(l) + 2NaOH(aq) ---> 2NaI(aq) + 2IOH(aq)
2NaI(aq) + 2IOH(aq) + H2SO4(aq) ---> Na2SO4(aq) + 2H2O(l) + 2I2(l) ?

oh and i don't really understand what you mean by "the reaction is pH dependent"?
:):)

Related to Equilibrium reactions with iodine

1. What is an equilibrium reaction with iodine?

An equilibrium reaction with iodine is a chemical reaction where the forward and reverse reactions occur at the same rate, resulting in a stable concentration of iodine in the system.

2. How is equilibrium reached in reactions with iodine?

Equilibrium is reached when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This can be achieved by changing the temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants and products in the system.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium in reactions with iodine?

The equilibrium in reactions with iodine can be affected by temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium in either the forward or reverse direction.

4. What is the role of iodine in equilibrium reactions?

Iodine serves as a reactant in equilibrium reactions and can also act as an indicator to determine whether the reaction is at equilibrium. When the iodine concentration remains constant, it indicates that the reaction has reached equilibrium.

5. How can equilibrium be manipulated in reactions with iodine?

Equilibrium in reactions with iodine can be manipulated by changing the concentration of reactants or products. By adding or removing reactants or products, the equilibrium can shift in the desired direction to achieve a higher yield of a specific product.