Equilibrium reaction ICE method to ideal gas law

In summary: K_p=\frac{\alpha}{[1-\alpha][1-\alpha/2]^{0.5}} $$In summary, the stoichiometric mixture of CO and $O_2$ in a closed vessel, initially at 1 atm and 300K, is exploded. The reactant and product compositions are found to be CO=[1-\alpha];O_2=[1-\alpha/2] at 2500K and the gas pressure is $K_p=\frac{\alpha}{[1-\alpha][1-\alpha/2]^{0.5}}$.
marellasunny
QUESTION: Say I have the following equilibrium reaction
[tex]CO+\frac{1}{2}O_2\leftrightharpoons CO_2[/tex]
The stoichiometric mixture of CO and $O_2$ in a closed vessel, initially at 1 atm and 300K, is exploded. Calculate the composition of the products of combustion at 2500K and the gas pressure.
Take $K_p$=27.5. Take $\alpha$ as the degree of dissociation.
$$$$
MY ATTEMPT AT AN ANSWER:
I use the ICE method to find out the reactant and product composition
$$CO+\frac{1}{2}O_2\leftrightharpoons CO_2$$
The reaction quotient can be given as Q=0/0.5=0. Therefore, the products must have plus sign.

Then I get the final composition(/concentration) as
$$CO=[1-\alpha] $$
$$O_2=[1-\alpha/2]$$
$$CO_2=[\alpha]$$

then, $$ K_p= \frac{\alpha}{[1-\alpha][1-\alpha/2]^{0.5} } $$
I would then use the IDEAL GAS LAW to find the product mixture

i.e $$ p_RV=n_RRT_R$$ $$p_pV=n_PRT_p$$

I would then substitute these values into the expression for $K_P$.

MY QUERY:
1.Is my calculation for [itex]K_P[/itex] correct? I take [itex]CO_2[/itex] as the product and CO and [itex]O_2[/itex] as the reactants.

2.I am not able to figure out what is the number of moles of the products [itex]n_P[/itex] and the number of moles of the reactants [itex]n_R[/itex].The book's solution gives [itex]n_R[/itex]=3/2 and [itex]n_P=1+\alpha/2[/itex].

The author solves with the initial species as [itex]CO_2[/itex] and obtains the compositions [itex]CO_2=(1-\alpha)[/itex];[itex]CO=\alpha[/itex];[itex]O_2=\alpha/2[/itex], which is confusing given that the question states the reaction starts with CO and O2 in a closed vessel.

Physics news on Phys.org
marellasunny said:
$$O_2=[1-\alpha/2]$$

If the mixture was stoichiometric, initial amount of oxygen was not 1. Unless I am missing something.

1.Is my calculation for [itex]K_P[/itex] correct? I take [itex]CO_2[/itex] as the product and CO and [itex]O_2[/itex] as the reactants.

See above. Other than that looks like you are on the right track.

The author solves with the initial species as [itex]CO_2[/itex] and obtains the compositions [itex]CO_2=(1-\alpha)[/itex];[itex]CO=\alpha[/itex];[itex]O_2=\alpha/2[/itex], which is confusing given that the question states the reaction starts with CO and O2 in a closed vessel.

Actually initial composition doesn't matter (as long as it is stoichiometric), as if the mass balance doesn't change, final equilibrium will be identical. Calling α degree of dissociation suggests CO2 and its decomposition as a starting point. Doesn't mean your approach is wrong, it should yield the same result in terms of final pressures. But as α's are different, final result expressed using your α and using book's α won't look identical.

Borek,please find attached the problem I'm struggling with. I've highlighted the step which I do not understand also.

The K_p values were arrived from the temperatures empirically. But,what is the expression to the left in page 89?

Attachments

• 0635_001(1).jpg
    0635_001(1).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 481
Hard to say something specific without seeing eq 3.40. But in general it looks like equilibrium expressed using reaction degree (fraction) - as defined at the very top of the page. In a way similar to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostwald_dilution_law

Oswald Dilution Law, very helpful insight.Since, concentration=n/V , this is not how it is expressed in the red highlighted area(attachment previous post). I first thought this was a relation between K_p and K_c,but the units didn't agree. It doesn't agree even in the Oswald dilution law.
$$\frac{1-\alpha }{\alpha (\alpha /2)^{0.5}}{\frac{n_p}{p_p}^{0.5}}=K_p $$
I also Attached 3.40 eq.

Attachments

• 0670_001.jpg
    0670_001.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 489

Related to Equilibrium reaction ICE method to ideal gas law

1. What is the ICE method in an equilibrium reaction?

The ICE method, also known as the Initial-Change-Equilibrium method, is a mathematical approach used to solve equilibrium reactions. It involves setting up a table with initial concentrations of reactants and products, calculating the change in concentration after the reaction, and then using an equilibrium expression to determine the final equilibrium concentrations.

2. How is the ICE method used in conjunction with the ideal gas law?

The ICE method can be used with the ideal gas law to solve equilibrium reactions involving gases. The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, is used to calculate the initial and equilibrium partial pressures of the gases. These values are then used in the ICE method to determine the equilibrium concentrations of the reactants and products.

3. What is the purpose of using the ICE method in the ideal gas law?

The ICE method is used to determine the equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products in a gas-phase equilibrium reaction. This is important because it allows us to predict how much of each substance will be present at equilibrium and how the reaction will proceed.

4. Are there any limitations to using the ICE method in the ideal gas law?

While the ICE method is a useful tool for solving equilibrium reactions involving ideal gases, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the reaction takes place in a closed system, and it does not account for factors such as changes in temperature or pressure during the reaction.

5. Can the ICE method be used for all types of equilibrium reactions?

The ICE method is most commonly used for equilibrium reactions involving ideal gases, but it can also be applied to reactions involving aqueous solutions and solids. However, in these cases, the concentrations are typically expressed in terms of molarity or molality rather than pressure as in the ideal gas law.