Calculating Mass Percentage of N2H4 in Hydrogen/Nitrogen Mixtures

In summary, the gas laws are a set of equations that describe the relationship between the physical properties of gases. The most commonly known gas laws include Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, Gay-Lussac's Law, and the Combined Gas Law. To solve gas law problems, one must use the appropriate equation and plug in the given values for the gas properties. Consistent units, such as liters, atmospheres, and Kelvin, should be used throughout the equation. Gas laws have many real-life applications, including predicting weather patterns, designing gas-powered engines, and understanding the behavior of gases in pressurized containers.
Unart
Homework Statement
131.) A mixture of NH3( g) and N2H4( g) is placed in a sealed container at 300 K. The total pressure is 0.50 atm. The container is heated to 1200 K at which time both substances decompose completely according to the equations 2 NH3( g) = N2( g) + 3 H2( g); N2H4( g) = N2( g) + 2 H2( g). After decomposition is complete, the total pressure at 1200 K is found to be 4.5 atm. Find the percent of N2H4( g) in the original mixture. (Assume two significant figures for the temperature.)
Relevant Equations
PV=nRT
Pressure = P
Volume = V
moles = n
gas constant = r
temperature (kelvins) = T
So essentially you are supposed to find the mass percentage of N2H4 in the Hydrogen/Nitrogen mixtures. The way I understood it, the only way to find the mass percentage of the gasses is to find the mole percentage. Which I got as 25%, based on the fact that the ratio of product gasses to reactants is 9/4 where N2H4 is 3/1 and NH3 is 2.

I got a mass percentage of 38% ~ book says 25%
20200829_131522.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind I missread the mass part. Maybe it did mean in moles, I think I misread and read part of another question.

Related to Calculating Mass Percentage of N2H4 in Hydrogen/Nitrogen Mixtures

1. What are the basic gas laws?

The basic gas laws are Boyle's law, Charles's law, Gay-Lussac's law, and the combined gas law. These laws describe the relationships between pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a closed system.

2. How do I solve gas law problems?

To solve gas law problems, you will need to use the appropriate gas law equation and plug in the given values for pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas. Make sure to convert units if necessary and use the correct gas constant for the units given.

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a combination of Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law. It is represented by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

4. How do I convert between units in gas law problems?

To convert between units in gas law problems, you will need to use conversion factors. For example, to convert from Celsius to Kelvin, you would add 273.15 to the Celsius temperature. Make sure to keep track of units and use the correct gas constant for the units given.

5. What are some real-life applications of gas laws?

Gas laws have many real-life applications, such as predicting the behavior of gases in weather patterns, understanding the function of respiratory systems in living organisms, and designing and maintaining pressurized systems in industries like aerospace and scuba diving.