Equilibrium - Particle in Bowl, looking for guidance

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium point of a point particle in a spherical bowl and the general shape of the bowl needed to maintain stability at the equilibrium point. The solution involves using Lagrangian equations and determining the potential in terms of spherical coordinates. Ultimately, it is proven that the equilibrium point is at the bottom of the bowl, and the most general shape for stability is a bowl with a minimum value at theta=0.
m0nk3y
Equilibrium - Particle in Bowl, looking for guidance!

Homework Statement

A point particle of mass m is confines to the frictionless surface of a sphere cal bowl. There are 2 degrees of freedom. Prove that the equilibrium point is the bottom of the bowl. Near the bottom of the bowl, what is the most general form possible for the shape of the bowl in order to maintain the stability of the equilibrium point at the bottom?

Homework Equations

spherical coordinates: rsin[tex]\thetacos\varphi + rsin\thetasin\varphi + rcos\theta[/tex]
Lagrange = Kinetic Energy(T)- Potential (V)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off by getting the Lagrange and got:
[tex]\stackrel{1}{2}[/tex]r^2 (theta)'^2 - mgrcos(theta)
Then I got the E.O.M
(mr^2 (theta)'')/2 - mgsin(theta)

I have to prove that it is at equilibrium at [tex]\theta[/tex]=0
But when I plug in 0 I am still left with (mr^2 (theta)'')/2
What am I doing wrong

[NOTATION::(theta)' is theta dot or velocity and (theta)'' is theta double dot or acceleration]

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i guess it´s not useful to go with the lagrangian just build up your potential in terms of spherical coordinates.
I guess it is V=m*g*r*sin(theta) as you said. And as in your case theta is between 0 and Pi/2
the minimum is at theta =0 because this is the lowest value sine take on [0,Pi/2]
how about that ?

Related to Equilibrium - Particle in Bowl, looking for guidance

1. What is equilibrium in the context of a particle in a bowl?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which the forces acting on a particle in a bowl are balanced, resulting in a stable and stationary position for the particle.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a particle in a bowl system?

Equilibrium is achieved when the forces of gravity and the normal force of the bowl are equal and opposite, resulting in a net force of zero on the particle.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium of a particle in a bowl?

The shape and size of the bowl, the mass and position of the particle, and the strength of the forces acting on the particle all affect the equilibrium of a particle in a bowl system.

4. How can we calculate the equilibrium position of a particle in a bowl?

The equilibrium position can be calculated by setting the forces acting on the particle equal to each other and solving for the position where the net force is zero. This can be done using equations of motion and the principles of Newton's laws.

5. Can the equilibrium of a particle in a bowl be disrupted?

Yes, the equilibrium of a particle in a bowl can be disrupted if external forces are applied to the system, such as pushing or tilting the bowl, or adding or removing particles from the bowl. This can result in a new equilibrium position for the particle.