Equations of motion of a pendulum in a cart.

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations of motion for a cart with a pendulum attached to it. It is mentioned that the tension in the wire must be directed along its axis to prevent buckling. The conversation then explores the concept of replacing the wire with a rigid bar and the effects on the force and reaction forces. The solution for the reaction force on the pin is discussed in terms of two possible scenarios. Finally, the conversation concludes with a link to an image and a discussion about the reaction and internal forces in a rod with fixed mass. The summary also notes that the reaction forces are the same for a pendulum of wire or string, despite the initial conceptual understanding.
Cyrus
I am looking over an old problem about a cart that has a pendulum on it, and you are supposed to find the equations of motion. The pendulum is made from a mass and a wire. Because wire can only support tensile loads, the tension has to be directed along the direction of the wire. Any force not directed along the axis of the wire will cause it to buckle.

But consider I replace the wire with a rigid bar. So I now have a rigid pendulum. I want to say that the force in the bar will remain along the axis of the bar, but I can't for the life of me show why. Because it is now a bar, it has to be pin connected to the cart, which means it can only have a reaction force in the (x,y) direction at the pin. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a coordinate system attached to the point mass at the end of a massless rod of length L. There is no net motion in the axial direction of the rod. This means the net acceleration in the axial direction is zero, and the reaction force on the pin in the axial direction is equal to [tex] T= m (g\cdot sin \theta + \frac{ V^2}{L}) [/tex].

Now two possible solutions exist for the reaction on the pin in the [tex]e_\theta[/tex] direction. (a) There is no reaction force, and so the component of weight acting in this direction accelerates the mass downard. (b) there is an equal and opposite reaction force of the component of weight in this direction, and as a result it creates a couple that causes pure rotation around the pin axis. Right now, I don't see why this is an invalid solution. It should produce the same effect, no?

Last edited:
Ah, I figured it out.

http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=covermq7.jpg

Now, I want to figure out what the RxN forces are, and what the internal forces are for a rod of fixed mass m.

The answer is, the reaction forces are exactly the same as a pendulum of wire or string. So it is not a couple moment of reaction forces at the pin, even though that makes senes conceptually.

Related to Equations of motion of a pendulum in a cart.

1. What is an equation of motion?

An equation of motion is a mathematical expression that describes the movement of a physical object over time. It includes variables such as position, velocity, acceleration, and time to quantify the motion of the object.

2. How does a pendulum in a cart move?

A pendulum in a cart moves in a circular or elliptical motion due to the combined effects of the pendulum's swing and the cart's linear motion. The motion of the pendulum is governed by the laws of physics, specifically the equations of motion.

3. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum in a cart?

The motion of a pendulum in a cart is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, the angle at which it is released, and the speed and direction of the cart's movement. These factors can change the frequency, amplitude, and period of the pendulum's motion.

4. How are the equations of motion of a pendulum in a cart derived?

The equations of motion of a pendulum in a cart are derived from Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law of elasticity. These laws describe the relationship between the forces acting on the pendulum and its resulting motion.

5. Can the equations of motion of a pendulum in a cart be used to predict its future motion?

Yes, the equations of motion can be used to predict the future motion of a pendulum in a cart, as long as the initial conditions (such as the starting position and velocity) are known. These equations can also be used to analyze and optimize the motion of a pendulum in a cart for various applications.