Equations of motion of a double pendulum

In summary, you can make a phase diagram for a double pendulum by graphing angular momentum, ω vs. angular displacement, θ. You don't need to worry about t in the kinetic energy equations, because that would mean the energy isn't conserved.
jamg.97
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, so please excuse me if I am not clear enough. I have recently been fascinated about chaos and decided to learn about the equations of motion in a double pendulum. I am in high school and have been so interested about chaos and its equations of motion that I have learned many mathematical concepts in order to do the equations. I have understood that chaotic objects can be graphed in a phase diagram and they make strange attractors. In a double pendulum, how can I make a phase diagram for a double pendulum. What would be the values of the x, y, and/or z axes to make the phase diagram. How could I make one in Mathematica? I also have some questions about the equations. This probably is a dumb question. Until how much can you solve the equations? For the kinetic energy, one of the variables is v for velocity. how can I solve for the velocity if I do not have any given time. I know that probably you are supposed to graph it with time being one axis and see how the graph evolves, but I have no idea on how to do this.

links I've used for the equations are
http://people.unt.edu/ctm0055/pendulum
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/DoublePendulum.html

PLEASE help me as quick as possible. These questions re killing me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Before dealing with the phase diagrams for chaotic systems - do you know how to draw a phase diagram for just a single simple pendulum?

In a double pendulum phase space, you typically graph angular momentum, ω vs. angular displacement, θ. This link might help:
http://www.phy.davidson.edu/stuhome/chgreene/chaos/Double Pendulum/phase_diagram.htm

I don't know how to use mathematica, so I can't help you there, but I'm sure someone here can.

In classical physics, I believe the double pendulum is technically completely deterministic for all time, in theory, but in practice, there is no way to predict the system indefinitely. Also, in real life, we can't set initial conditions to arbitrary precision due to quantum effects, so it's hard to say how long we can solve the system. Technically though, even you had enough computing power, you could solve the system for an arbitrary amount of time.

You shouldn't really have v in the kinetic energy equations, the coordinates are polar, so you should have ω, or dθ/dt, often written as [itex]\dot{\theta} in Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics, to save space. In the double pendulum equations, you find the equation for [itex]\dot{\theta} in terms of the phase displacement, θ. There is no dependence on t, because that would mean the Langrangian, or energy, isn't conserved.

Related to Equations of motion of a double pendulum

1. What is a double pendulum?

A double pendulum is a physical system consisting of two pendulums connected by a joint. The first pendulum is attached to a fixed point, while the second pendulum is attached to the end of the first pendulum. This creates a complex motion that is difficult to predict and analyze.

2. What are the equations of motion for a double pendulum?

The equations of motion for a double pendulum involve the use of Lagrangian mechanics to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of each pendulum at any given time. These equations take into account the lengths, masses, and initial conditions of the pendulums.

3. How do the equations of motion change for different initial conditions?

The equations of motion for a double pendulum are highly sensitive to initial conditions. Small changes in the initial position or velocity of the pendulums can result in drastically different motions. This is known as the butterfly effect.

4. What factors affect the motion of a double pendulum?

The motion of a double pendulum is affected by various factors such as the lengths and masses of the pendulums, the initial conditions, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance. These factors can alter the equations of motion and result in different trajectories.

5. Can the double pendulum motion be solved analytically?

No, the motion of a double pendulum cannot be solved analytically. The equations of motion are highly complex and do not have a closed-form solution. However, numerical methods can be used to approximate the motion and provide insights into the behavior of the system.