Double Pendulum Potential Energy

In summary, there is a discrepancy between the equations used to calculate potential energy for a double pendulum. One equation includes a constant term, while the other does not. However, this does not affect the end result as the partial derivatives for both equations are identical. The constant terms are typically omitted in these types of calculations.
disclaimer
Hello, everybody.

This website and many others define the potential energy of a double pendulum as:

[tex]V=-(m_1+m_2) g l_1 cos\theta_1-m_2 g l_2 cos\theta_2[/tex]

However, I came up with the following equation:

[tex]V= (m_1+m_2) g l_1 (1-cos\theta_1)+m_2 g l_2 (1-cos\theta_2)[/tex]

I started from the position of what looks like equilibrium (when the pendulum is fully stretched and hanging freely). They seem to start at the point where the pendulum is "pinned."

Which equation should I use? Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me you have two origins for potential energy which is wrong!

Thank you. I think I see what you mean. Let me recalculate it.

Okay. I guess it doesn't really matter in the end, since the partial derivatives [tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial \theta_1}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial \theta_2}[/tex] are identical for both equations, namely:

[tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial \theta_1}=(m_1+m_2) \sin\theta_1 g l_1[/tex] [tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial \theta_2}=m_2 g l_2 \sin\theta_2[/tex]

Yes, your PE has just some constant terms extra. The constant terms are usually dropped anyway in this kind of problems, even if they result from a correct calculation.

Related to Double Pendulum Potential Energy

1. What is a double pendulum potential energy?

A double pendulum potential energy refers to the potential energy stored in a double pendulum system due to the position of its mass and the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How is potential energy calculated in a double pendulum system?

Potential energy in a double pendulum is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum's center of mass.

3. How does the potential energy change in a double pendulum system?

The potential energy in a double pendulum system changes constantly as the pendulum swings back and forth. It is highest at the peak of the swing and lowest at the bottom of the swing.

4. What factors affect the potential energy in a double pendulum system?

The potential energy in a double pendulum system is affected by the mass of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum arms, and the angle at which the pendulum is released.

5. Why is potential energy important in a double pendulum system?

Potential energy in a double pendulum system plays a crucial role in the motion of the pendulum. It helps determine the amplitude and frequency of the pendulum's swings, and is essential in understanding the overall behavior of the system.