Equation with logarithm in power

In summary: No, no, I understand that. It's just that I used to be able to solve problems like this one without even thinking about them. And now, I just... don't. But I am working on it. Your help is greatly appreciated. :)Have a good one!
wit
\(\displaystyle (3x)^{1+\log_3(x)}=3\)

How do I solve this one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you get if you apply the exponential property:

\(\displaystyle a^b\cdot a^c=a^{b+c}\)?

Thank you for your reply.

Tried my best, is it any good?

\(\displaystyle (3x)*(3x)^{\log_3(x)}=3\)

\(\displaystyle (3x)*(x^2)=3\) (Not sure about this part)

\(\displaystyle (3x^3)=3\)

\(\displaystyle (x^3)=1\)

\(\displaystyle (x)=1\)

wit said:
Thank you for your reply.

Tried my best, is it any good?

\(\displaystyle (3x)*(3x)^{\log_3(x)}=3\)

\(\displaystyle (3x)*(x^2)=3\) (Not sure about this part)

\(\displaystyle (3x^3)=3\)

\(\displaystyle (x^3)=1\)

\(\displaystyle (x)=1\)

Your first step is good! :) And kudos on picking up on $\LaTeX$ so quickly! (Yes)

So, we have:

\(\displaystyle 3x(3x)^{\log_3(x)}=3\)

Let's divide through by $3x$ (we know from the original equation $0<x$), so we now have:

\(\displaystyle (3x)^{\log_3(x)}=\frac{1}{x}\)

Now, to the left side, let's apply the exponential rule:

\(\displaystyle (ab)^c=a^cb^c\)

What do we have now?

MarkFL said:
Your first step is good! :) And kudos on picking up on $\LaTeX$ so quickly! (Yes)

So, we have:

\(\displaystyle 3x(3x)^{\log_3(x)}=3\)

Let's divide through by $3x$ (we know from the original equation $0<x$), so we now have:

Now, to the left side, let's apply the exponential rule:

\(\displaystyle (ab)^c=a^cb^c\)

What do we have now?

\(\displaystyle (3)^{\log_3(x)}*(x)^{\log_3(x)}=\frac{1}{x}\) So now I can apply: \(\displaystyle (a)^{\log_a(b)} = b\)?

Which means:

\(\displaystyle (x)*(x)^{\log_3(x)}=\frac{1}{x}\) | /x

\(\displaystyle (x)^{\log_3(x)}=\frac{1}{x^2}\)

And now I think I am confused

Good job! So, we now have:

\(\displaystyle x^{\log_3(x)}=\frac{1}{x^2}\)

or

\(\displaystyle x^{\log_3(x)}=x^{-2}\)

This implies that the exponents must be the same, right (or that $x=1$, but let's ignore that solution for now)? :)

MarkFL said:
Good job! So, we now have:

\(\displaystyle x^{\log_3(x)}=\frac{1}{x^2}\)

or

This implies that the exponents must be the same, right (or that $x=1$, but let's ignore that solution for now)? :)

\(\displaystyle \log_3(x)=-2\) | \(\displaystyle \log_a(x)=b => a^{b} = x\)

\(\displaystyle 3^{-2}=x\)

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{9}\)

and as you said $x=1$

Final answer: {\(\displaystyle 1,\frac{1}{9}\)} ... How do I get to \(\displaystyle x=1\), though? It's pretty straight forward that \(\displaystyle 1^{anything} = 1\) but how do I 'prove' it?

Well, you could go back to:

Now, take the natural log of both sides, and apply \(\displaystyle \log_a\left(b^c\right)=c\log_a(b)\) to get:

\(\displaystyle \log_3(x)\ln(x)=-2\ln(x)\)

Then arrange as:

\(\displaystyle \log_3(x)\ln(x)+2\ln(x)=0\)

Now factor:

\(\displaystyle \ln(x)\left(\log_3(x)+2\right)=0\)

Now equate each factor in turn to 0 (apply the zero-factor property) and solve for $x$:

i) \(\displaystyle \ln(x)=0\implies x=1\)

ii) \(\displaystyle \log_3(x)+2=0\implies x=\frac{1}{9}\)

Been off of math for quite some time now. It seems like even the most basic rules managed to escape my mind.

I cannot be thankful enough for your help. :)

Take care!

Alternatively,

\(\displaystyle (3x)^{1+\log_3(x)}=3\)

Take the base 3 log of both sides:

\(\displaystyle (1+\log_3(x))\log_3(3x)=1\)

\(\displaystyle (1+\log_3(x))(1+\log_3(x))=1\) (see note below).

\(\displaystyle (1+\log_3(x))^2=1\)

\(\displaystyle 1+\log_3(x)=\pm1\)

\(\displaystyle \log_3(x)=0\) and \(\displaystyle \log_3(x)=-2\)

\(\displaystyle \log_3(x)=0\implies x=1\)

\(\displaystyle \log_3(x)=-2\)

\(\displaystyle 3^{\log_3(x)}=3^{-2}\)

\(\displaystyle x=\dfrac19\)

Note: \(\displaystyle \log(a\cdot b)=\log a+\log b\) so \(\displaystyle \log_3(3x)=\log_33+\log_3(x)=1+\log_3(x)\)

wit said:
Been off of math for quite some time now. It seems like even the most basic rules managed to escape my mind.

I cannot be thankful enough for your help. :)

Take care!
Don't be down on yourself. This is not a "trivial" problem for a beginner.

-Dan

Related to Equation with logarithm in power

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the number of times a base number must be multiplied by itself to equal a given number. It is commonly denoted as logb(x), where b is the base and x is the number.

2. How do you solve an equation with a logarithm in power?

To solve an equation with a logarithm in power, you can use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. You can then isolate the logarithm term by using exponentiation on both sides of the equation. Finally, solve for the variable by taking the antilogarithm of both sides.

3. What are the properties of logarithms?

The properties of logarithms include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base formula. The product rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of each individual factor. The quotient rule states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator. The power rule states that the logarithm of a power is equal to the exponent multiplied by the logarithm of the base. The change of base formula allows you to rewrite a logarithm with a different base.

4. Can an equation with a logarithm in power have multiple solutions?

Yes, an equation with a logarithm in power can have multiple solutions. This is because the logarithm function is not one-to-one, meaning that different inputs can result in the same output. It is important to check for extraneous solutions when solving logarithmic equations, as they may not satisfy the original equation.

5. How are logarithmic equations used in real life?

Logarithmic equations have many real-life applications, such as in finance, science, and engineering. In finance, the compound interest formula is a logarithmic equation that is used to calculate the growth of investments. In science and engineering, logarithmic equations are used to model phenomena that exhibit exponential growth or decay, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and sound intensity. They are also used in computer science and data analysis to measure the efficiency of algorithms and to compress large data sets.