Equation of tangents and separation of variables question

In summary: You have a typo in your first line...it should read:y = (2x^2)/(1+Cx^2)But other than that, you have the correct solution. Good job!
ardentmed
Hey guys,

Can anyone help me out with these questions?

View attachment 2799

The first one has a positive initial value. Separation of variables and integrating gave me: |y+3| = k√[(t^2) + 1)]

Ultimately, I got k= √5 and thus y=√5√[(t^2) + 1)] - 3.

Also, for the second one, I used a similar process, found C=-1/2, and my final answer came out to be:
y=2(x^2) +2. Am I on the right track?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    13.8 KB · Views: 53
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, you can drop the absolute value, since your constant will account for all solutions, hence:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=c_1\sqrt{t^2+1}-3\)

Otherwise your work is fine. :D

For the second one, you have made an error. What did you get when you separated the variables?

I took the integral of 1/(y^2) and 1/(x^3)

-(1/y) = 1(2x^2) + C
C= -1 +1/2
C= -1/2

Thanks.

ardentmed said:
I took the integral of 1/(y^2) and 1/(x^3)

-(1/y) = 1(2x^2) + C
C= -1 +1/2
C= -1/2

Thanks.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{1}{x^3} \, \mathrm{d}x} &= \int{ x^{-3}\,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \frac{x^{-2}}{-2} + C_1 \\ &= - \frac{1}{2x^2} + C_1 \end{align*}$

Prove It said:
$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{1}{x^3} \, \mathrm{d}x} &= \int{ x^{-3}\,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \frac{x^{-2}}{-2} + C_1 \\ &= - \frac{1}{2x^2} + C_1 \end{align*}$

I actually got everything right up to that point. So where did I go wrong? If C= -1/2, then the final answer should be 2x^2 + 2, no?

ardentmed said:
I actually got everything right up to that point. So where did I go wrong? If C= -1/2, then the final answer should be 2x^2 + 2, no?

What do you have right after you integrate?

MarkFL said:
What do you have right after you integrate?

-1 / y = - 1/(x^2) +C

And then I proceeded to solve for C.

Thanks.

ardentmed said:
-1 / y = - 1/(x^2) +C

And then I proceeded to solve for C.

Thanks.

Well, what you should actually have is:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{y}=-\frac{1}{2x^2}+C\)

Now, let's multiply through by -1 and observing that this need not change the sign of the arbitrary constant (a constant times an arbitrary constant is still just an arbitrary constant), we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y}=\frac{1}{2x^2}+C\)

Now, solve for $y$, and then use your initial condition to find $C$.

MarkFL said:
Well, what you should actually have is:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{y}=-\frac{1}{2x^2}+C\)

Now, let's multiply through by -1 and observing that this need not change the sign of the arbitrary constant (a constant times an arbitrary constant is still just an arbitrary constant), we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y}=\frac{1}{2x^2}+C\)

Now, solve for $y$, and then use your initial condition to find $C$.
Oh, the sign doesn't change. Therefore, the final answer should be y= (2x^2) -1, correct? C=-1

ardentmed said:
Oh, the sign doesn't change. Therefore, the final answer should be y= (2x^2) -1, correct? C=-1

No, you need to express the right side as a single ratio before inverting both sides:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y}=\frac{1+2Cx^2}{2x^2}\)

Now, $2C$ is just an arbitrary constant, so we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y}=\frac{1+Cx^2}{2x^2}\)

Now, you can flip or invert both sides, and then find $C$. :D

MarkFL said:
No, you need to express the right side as a single ratio before inverting both sides:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y}=\frac{1+2Cx^2}{2x^2}\)

Now, $2C$ is just an arbitrary constant, so we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y}=\frac{1+Cx^2}{2x^2}\)

Now, you can flip or invert both sides, and then find $C$. :D
Alright. Therefore, y = (2x^2)/(1/2Cx^2)

1= 2/(1+C), thus making C=1.

So,

y= (2x^2)/(1+x^2)

Correct?

Thanks again.

ardentmed said:
Alright. Therefore, y = (2x^2)/(1/2Cx^2)

1= 2/(1+C), thus making C=1.

So,

y= (2x^2)/(1+x^2)

Correct?

Thanks again.

You have a typo in your first line...it should read:

y = (2x^2)/(1+Cx^2)

But other than that, you have the correct solution. Good job! (Yes)

Related to Equation of tangents and separation of variables question

1. What is the equation of tangents and how is it used in mathematics?

The equation of tangents is a mathematical concept used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. It is derived from the derivative of the curve and is used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.

2. How is separation of variables used to solve equations involving tangents?

Separation of variables is a technique used to solve differential equations, which are equations that involve derivatives. By separating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation, it becomes easier to integrate and find a solution.

3. Can the equation of tangents be used to find the equation of a line tangent to a curve?

Yes, the equation of tangents can be used to find the equation of a line tangent to a curve at a specific point. The slope of the tangent line is equal to the derivative of the curve at that point, and the point of tangency is used as the point-slope form to find the equation of the line.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the equation of tangents and separation of variables?

Yes, the equation of tangents and separation of variables have many real-world applications. For example, they are used in physics to analyze the motion of objects, in engineering to design optimal structures, and in economics to study supply and demand curves.

5. Is there a specific process or formula for solving equations involving tangents using separation of variables?

There is no specific process or formula for solving equations involving tangents using separation of variables. It depends on the specific problem and the type of equation. However, the general steps involve separating the variables, integrating both sides, and then solving for the unknown variable. It may also involve using initial conditions or boundary conditions to find the constants of integration.