Equation of tangent line to curve

In summary: If the derivative is zero at the point (x, y) then the numerator will be zero and the equation of the tangent line will be y = c.
hadizainud

Homework Statement

Find all x coordinates of points (x, y) on the curve y = (x − 2)5 /(x − 4)3 where the tangent line is horizontal

Homework Equations

Quotient Rule - Differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

So I could guess, that if tangent line is horizontal, the equation of tangent line to curve is y = c, where gradient is 0.

So, first derivative of the curve is suppose equal to zero.

dy/dx;
0 = ((5)(x - 2)4(1)(x - 4)3 - (x - 2)5(3)(x - 4)2(1)) / ((x - 4)3)2
0 = (5(x - 2)4(x - 4)3 - 3(x - 2)5(x - 4)2) / (x - 4)6

Okay now I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
hadizainud said:

Homework Statement

Find all x coordinates of points (x, y) on the curve y = (x − 2)5 /(x − 4)3 where the tangent line is horizontal

Homework Equations

Quotient Rule - Differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

So I could guess, that if tangent line is horizontal, the equation of tangent line to curve is y = c, where gradient is 0.

So, first derivative of the curve is suppose equal to zero.

dy/dx;
0 = ((5)(x - 2)4(1)(x - 4)3 - (x - 2)5(3)(x - 4)2(1)) / ((x - 4)3)2
0 = (5(x - 2)4(x - 4)3 - 3(x - 2)5(x - 4)2) / (x - 4)6

Okay now I'm stuck.
That's a good start.

What you need to do is to write the numerator in a factored form. The best way to do that is to find the common factors in 5(x - 2)4(x - 4)3 - 3(x - 2)5(x - 4)2.

The result will look like this: (x - 2)m(x - 4)n(<what's left>)

So it would be like this,
((x - 2)4(x - 4)2(5(x - 4) - 3(x - 2))) / (x - 4)6
( (x - 2)4(5(x - 4) - 3(x - 2)) ) / (x - 4)4

Now I stuck again.

Last edited:
hadizainud said:
So it would be like this,
((x - 2)4(x - 4)2(5(x - 4) - 3(x - 2))) / (x - 4)6
( (x - 2)4(5(x - 4) - 3(x - 2)) ) / (x - 4)4

Now I stuck again.

You can simplify (5(x - 4) - 3(x - 2)) a bit more. Then if the derivative is going to zero, then the numerator has to be zero. Which values of x make that happen?

Related to Equation of tangent line to curve

What is the equation of the tangent line to a curve?

The equation of the tangent line to a curve is a linear function that represents the slope of the curve at a given point. It is written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept of the line.

How is the equation of the tangent line to a curve calculated?

The equation of the tangent line can be calculated using the derivative of the curve at a specific point. The derivative represents the slope of the curve at that point, which is also the slope of the tangent line. The point-slope form can then be used to find the equation of the line.

What information is needed to find the equation of the tangent line?

To find the equation of the tangent line, you will need the coordinates of the point on the curve where the tangent line intersects, as well as the derivative of the curve at that point. Additionally, you may also need the equation of the curve itself.

What is the significance of the equation of the tangent line?

The equation of the tangent line is significant because it provides information about the slope and direction of a curve at a specific point. It can also be used to approximate the value of the curve at that point, as the tangent line will closely match the curve's behavior in the immediate vicinity of the point.

Can the equation of the tangent line be used to find the equation of a curve?

Yes, in some cases, the equation of the tangent line can be used to find the equation of a curve. This is especially true when the curve is a polynomial or other simple function. By finding the equation of the tangent line at different points on the curve, you can then use these equations to construct an approximation of the curve itself.