Equation of osculating circles

• Thread starter oreosama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equations of the osculating circles of an ellipse at the points (2,0) and (0,3). The concept of an osculating circle is explained, along with the derivative of the ellipse and the calculation of radius of curvature at the given points. The formula for curvature of a curve in the plane is also mentioned, and the importance of reviewing definitions is emphasized.
oreosama

Homework Statement

Find equations of the osculating circles of the ellipse 9x^2 + 4y^2 = 36 at the points
(2,0) (0,3)

as far as I understand I need to get T and N at some point on the curve, cross them to get B and use that + a point to write a equation of plane

i don't know know how to even begin doing this. what do I do if I need to make something parametric? this isn't something I've ever been taught well.

Physics news on Phys.org
An "osculating circle" at a point on curve is a circle that passes through the point, whose center is on the "concave" side of the curve, has radius perpendicular to the curve, and the length of the radius is equal to the "radius of curvature" of the curve- i.e. the reciprocal of the curvature.

The derivative of 9x^2+ 4y^2= 36 is given by 18x+ 8yy'= 0 or y= (9/4)(x/y). At (2, 0), of course, that does not exist which means a tangent line is vertical and the perpendicular is horizontal. What is the radius of curvature at (2, 0)? At (0, 3) y'= 0 so the tangent line is horizontal and the perendicular is vertical. What is the radius of curvature at (0, 3)?

"understand I need to get T and N at some point on the curve"

The points at which you need to get them are (2, 0) and (0, 3), of course. But how do you know that if you don't know how to get T and N?

The curvature, [itex]\kappa[/itex] is defined by
[tex]\frac{dT}{ds}= \kappa N[/tex]
where T is the unit tangent vector and N is the unit normal vector. Since T, being "unit" has constant length, 1, its derivative is perpendicular to it, the normal vector. [itex]\kappa[/itex] is the length of dT/ds.

There are any number of formulas for curvature of a curve in the plane- it is a common topic in multivariable Calculus.

As always- when you "dont know how to even begin doing this", review the definitions!

Related to Equation of osculating circles

1. What is the equation of osculating circles?

The equation of osculating circles is a mathematical formula used to describe the curvature of a curve at a specific point. It is represented by the general equation: (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2, where (a,b) is the center of the circle and r is the radius.

2. How is the equation of osculating circles related to the curvature of a curve?

The equation of osculating circles is directly related to the curvature of a curve at a specific point. This is because the center and radius of the circle represent the center and magnitude of curvature at that point on the curve.

3. Can the equation of osculating circles be used for any type of curve?

Yes, the equation of osculating circles can be used for any type of smooth curve, as long as it has a defined curvature at the specific point of interest.

4. How is the equation of osculating circles used in real-world applications?

The equation of osculating circles has many practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to design smooth and precise curves, calculate the path of moving objects, and create realistic 3D graphics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the equation of osculating circles?

The equation of osculating circles is a simplified representation of curvature and may not accurately describe the behavior of more complex curves. It also assumes that the curve is smooth and continuous, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.