Equation of Motion: Calculating Braking Distance on a Straight Road

In summary, The conversation is discussing a scenario where a car is driving at a steady speed of 25 ms-1 when the driver notices a fallen tree 65 meters ahead. The driver immediately applies the brakes, causing the car to have a constant retardation of 5 ms-2. The first question asks how far in front of the tree the car will come to a halt, and using the formula v2=u2+2as, the result is 2.5 meters. The second question asks what speed the car would have hit the tree if the brakes were applied one second later, and using the same formula, the result is 15 m/s.
nasadall
Thanks.

This next one is a bit confusing, not so much the first part, its the second, i think i got it wright, i just don't know how to put it on peper to present it to the tutor.

b) A car is being driven along a straight and level road at a steady speed of
25 ms-1 when the driver suddenly notices that there is a fallen tree blocking the
road 65 metres ahead. The driver immediately applies the brakes giving the car
a constant retardation of 5 ms-2.

i) How far in front of the tree does the car come to a halt?

u=25 m/s v=0 m/s a=-5 m/s2 s=?

so using v2=u2+2as

my result was

02=252+2(-5)s
0=625+(-10)s
10s=-0-625
s=-625/-10
s=62.5

then i take away the 62.5 meters treveled while deccelerating, from the 65 meters from where the tree was spoted.

65-62.5 = 2.5 meters that the car came to a halt in front of the tree.

Physics news on Phys.org
ii) If the driver had not reacted immediately and the brakes were applied one second later, with what speed would the car have hit the tree?

u=25 m/s a=-5 m/s2 s=65 m - (1 sec reaction time = 25 m/s) = 40 m? v=?

same formula

v2=252+(-5)40
v2=625+(-10)40
v2=625+(-400)
v2=225
v=√225
v=15

The car hit the tree with a velocity of 15 m/s

Related to Equation of Motion: Calculating Braking Distance on a Straight Road

What is the equation of motion?

The equation of motion is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration. It is also known as Newton's second law of motion.

What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion is when an object moves in a straight line, while rotational motion is when an object rotates around an axis. Both types of motion can be described using the equation of motion.

How is acceleration related to the equation of motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is directly related to the equation of motion, as acceleration is one of the variables in the equation.

Can the equation of motion be used to predict future motion?

Yes, the equation of motion can be used to predict an object's future position, velocity, and acceleration based on its current values and the forces acting upon it.

Are there any limitations to the equation of motion?

Yes, the equation of motion assumes that the object is moving in a vacuum without any external forces acting upon it. In reality, there are always external forces that can affect an object's motion, making the equation less accurate.