Equation of line in standard form

In summary, the problem asks to write an equation in standard form with a given point (2,1) and a given slope of 1. This can be done using the point-slope formula or by setting up the slope equation and rearranging it to get the desired form.
Mike
I am having trouble with algebra... I have to write an equation in standard form containing the given point and having the give slope for (2,1);m=1

I have no clue what I am doing and am not able to find anything online. Please help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mike said:
I am having trouble with algebra... I have to write an equation in standard form containing the given point and having the give slope for (2,1);m=1

I have no clue what I am doing and am not able to find anything online. Please help

Hi Mike,

Welcome to MHB! (Wave)

There is something called the "point-slope" form of a line. It looks like this. \(\displaystyle y-y_0=m(x-x_0)\). $m$ is the slope and the $x_0$ and $y_0$ refer to a point $(x_0,y_0)$.

If we plug in your info we get \(\displaystyle y-1=1(x-2)\). Can you rearrange that and put it into standard form?

Jameson

Hello and welcome, Mike!

Let $\displaystyle (x,y)$ be a general point on the line (other than the given point (1,2)). Using the definition of slope, we may write:

$\displaystyle m=\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}=\frac{y-1}{x-2}=1$

Note: using the point-slope formula will give us the same result, and more quickly (and once you are familiar with this formula, it is the way to go here), but I wanted to show you an alternate route, and if you think about it, you can see that this is a way to actually derive the point-slope formula.

$\displaystyle \frac{y-1}{x-2}=1$

Now, what should you do first to try to get this into the form:

$\displaystyle Ax+By=C$?

Related to Equation of line in standard form

1. What is the standard form equation of a line?

The standard form equation of a line is written as Ax + By = C, where A, B, and C are constants and x and y are variables. This form is useful for easily identifying the x and y intercepts of a line.

2. How do I convert a line from slope-intercept form to standard form?

To convert a line from slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) to standard form, you can use the formula Ax + By = C, where A = -m, B = 1, and C = -b. Simply plug in the values for m and b from the slope-intercept form into the correct places in the standard form equation.

3. Can a line have a negative slope in standard form?

Yes, a line can have a negative slope in standard form. The sign of the A coefficient determines the slope of the line, with a positive A value indicating a positive slope and a negative A value indicating a negative slope.

4. How can I graph a line in standard form?

To graph a line in standard form, first solve for y to get the equation in slope-intercept form. Then, plot the y-intercept (C/B) and use the slope (A/B) to find the next point on the line. Connect the two points to graph the line.

5. What are some real-life applications of using the standard form equation of a line?

The standard form equation of a line is commonly used in engineering, physics, and economics to model and analyze linear relationships. It can also be used to calculate the break-even point in business and to determine the optimal production levels in manufacturing.