Equation of ellipse from directrix and focus

In summary, the equation of an ellipse with a directrix y=-2 and a focus at the origin is given by r=(2e)/(1-e*cos(theta)), where e is the eccentricity and r is the distance from the focus to a point on the ellipse. The length of the major axis can be found by setting theta equal to 0 or pi/2.
hatelove
Find the equation of an ellipse with a directrix y = -2 and a focus at the origin.

I'm trying to find the polar equation first, and I learned this today but I forgot a lot of it and we're not allowed to take notes in class (professor says it helps to learn better) so I'm trying to look it up online but it's not much help because I can't find any elementary lessons on polar equations.

Anyway, I think the formula is

[tex]r = \frac{pe}{1 \pm sin\theta }[/tex]

because of the position of the directrix, I know the ellipse is elongated along the y-axis. For this particular position given in the problem, I know it's a negative sign in the denominator (for the plus-minus symbol).

I know 'e' is eccentricity and to find that I need the center point but I forgot how to get it. I also need the vertex but I forgot how to find that too. But I know the lower vertex is between that given focus and directrix.

So far I have:

[tex]r = \frac{(2)e}{1 - sin\theta }[/tex]

First step: how do I find the length of the major axes or a vertex?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
daigo said:
I'm trying to find the polar equation first, and I learned this today but I forgot a lot of it and we're not allowed to take notes in class (professor says it helps to learn better) so I'm trying to look it up online but it's not much help because I can't find any elementary lessons on polar equations.

Anyway, I think the formula is

[tex]r = \frac{pe}{1 \pm sin\theta }[/tex]

because of the position of the directrix, I know the ellipse is elongated along the y-axis. For this particular position given in the problem, I know it's a negative sign in the denominator (for the plus-minus symbol).

I know 'e' is eccentricity and to find that I need the center point but I forgot how to get it. I also need the vertex but I forgot how to find that too. But I know the lower vertex is between that given focus and directrix.

So far I have:

[tex]r = \frac{(2)e}{1 - sin\theta }[/tex]

First step: how do I find the length of the major axes or a vertex?

The directrix/forus definition of an ellipse is the locus of points such that the ratio of the distance from the focus to the distance from the directrx is a constant less than one.

Here the focus is the origin so the x-y co-ordinates of a general point on the ellipse is \( (r \cos(\theta), r \sin(\theta))\)m so the distance of a point on the ellipse from the focus is \(d_f=r\). The distance of the point from the directrix at \(y=-2\) is \(d_d=r\cos(\theta)+2\).

So the condition for this to be an ellipse is:

\[\frac{d_f}{d_d}=\frac{r}{r\cos(\theta)+2}=e\]

rearranging:

\[r=\frac{2e}{1-e\cos(\theta))}\]

The ends of the major axis correspond to \(\theta=0\) and \(\theta=\pi/2\) ,...

CB

Related to Equation of ellipse from directrix and focus

What is the equation of an ellipse given the directrix and focus?

The equation of an ellipse can be expressed as (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse, a is the distance from the center to one end of the major axis, and b is the distance from the center to one end of the minor axis.

How can I find the center of an ellipse from the given directrix and focus?

The center of an ellipse is given by the midpoint between the focus and the directrix. So, if the focus is (x1,y1) and the directrix is ax+by+c=0, then the center is (x1,y1-b/a).

What are the properties of an ellipse?

An ellipse has two foci, a major axis, a minor axis, an eccentricity, and a center. The sum of the distances from any point on the ellipse to the two foci is constant, and the eccentricity is the ratio of the distance between the foci to the length of the major axis.

Can an ellipse have a negative eccentricity?

No, the eccentricity of an ellipse is always a positive value, as it represents the ratio of two distances.

Is there a way to find the vertices of an ellipse from the given directrix and focus?

Yes, the vertices of an ellipse are located on the major axis and can be found by adding or subtracting the distance a from the x-coordinate of the center (h) to find the x-coordinates of the vertices, and adding or subtracting the distance b from the y-coordinate of the center (k) to find the y-coordinates of the vertices.