Equation of a vertical line in the complex plane

In summary, the problem is to solve the integral of the conjugate of z minus 1 over the line from 1 to 1+2i in the complex plane. The approach is to set z equal to the equation of the line and then integrate, using the equation z = x + iy with arbitrary y-values between 0 and 2i.
zeebo17

Homework Statement

I need to solve [tex]\int_L \bar{z}-1[/tex] where L is the line from 1 to 1+2i.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to set z equal to the equation of the line and then integrate, but in this case I'm not sure how to express the equation of the vertical line in the complex plane.

In the case of the non-vertical line I would write [tex] z=x+i(mx+b) [/tex] where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept, however in this case the y is undefined.

Physics news on Phys.org
zeebo17 said:

Homework Statement

I need to solve [tex]\int_L \bar{z}-1[/tex] where L is the line from 1 to 1+2i.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to set z equal to the equation of the line and then integrate, but in this case I'm not sure how to express the equation of the vertical line in the complex plane.

In the case of the non-vertical line I would write [tex] z=x+i(mx+b) [/tex] where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept, however in this case the y is undefined.

The y-values aren't undefined; they're arbitrary. Wouldn't your equation be z = 1 + iy, 0 <= y <= 2i?

Oh! Great, thanks!

Related to Equation of a vertical line in the complex plane

1. What is the equation for a vertical line in the complex plane?

The equation for a vertical line in the complex plane is x = a + bi, where a and b are constants and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How do you graph a vertical line in the complex plane?

To graph a vertical line in the complex plane, plot the point (a, 0) on the real axis and draw a straight line through this point that is parallel to the imaginary axis.

3. Can a vertical line in the complex plane intersect the real and imaginary axes?

No, a vertical line in the complex plane cannot intersect the real and imaginary axes. It will always be parallel to the imaginary axis and will only intersect the real axis at one point.

4. What is the slope of a vertical line in the complex plane?

The slope of a vertical line in the complex plane is undefined, as it is a straight line that is parallel to the y-axis.

5. Can the equation of a vertical line in the complex plane have a complex number as its constant?

Yes, the equation of a vertical line in the complex plane can have a complex number as its constant. This would result in a line that is shifted horizontally on the complex plane.