Equation of a Plane Wave, confused

In summary, the plane wave equation describes a traveling disturbance where the wave function depends on both time and place. The equation can be represented by a plane, where the phase of the wave is the same at each point, expressed as ##\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t=0##. This plane is perpendicular to the wave vector ##\vec{k}## and travels in the positive x direction with a speed of ##\omega/k##, known as the propagation velocity or phase velocity of the wave. The constant ##\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}=Const.## is used to define the wavefront and represents points with a fixed phase at any given instant.
iScience
Plane wave equation:

$$\psi(t) = \psi_0e^{i(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)}$$

The part that makes the domain of [itex]\psi(t_i)[/itex] a plane is the k dot r part.

I'm reading a book that takes this term and imposes the following condition:

$$\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}=Const.$$

which, i understand its necessity, but if we just plug in the LHS of the equation, the information on the RHS is lost no? i mean, we didn't use it; we just got rid of it. Can someone clarify this part for me please.

Physics news on Phys.org
iScience said:
Plane wave equation:

The part that makes the domain of [itex]\psi(t_i)[/itex] a plane is the k dot r part.

which, i understand its necessity, but if we just plug in the LHS of the equation, the information on the RHS is lost no? i mean, we didn't use it; we just got rid of it. Can someone clarify this part for me please.

##\vec k\cdot\vec r = \text{const.}## would mean that ##\psi## is a function of time alone.
Isn't a plane wave also a function of space?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_wave#Arbitrary_direction

You don't "plug in" the LHS of that equation - the equation is a definition of what the LHS means. If you already know what ##\psi(t)## is, then what extra information could the RHS possibly supply?

aha! i get it! thanks

Hm, I don't get it. What's the book intending to derive/demonstrate? Could you quote more details?

iScience said:
Plane wave equation:

A wave is a traveling disturbance, and the disturbance described by the function ψ depends both on place and time.
$$\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}=Const.$$ is the equation of a wavefront, a plane, where the phase of the wave is the same at each point. Consider a wavefront where C=0 at t=0, that is, ##\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}=0## . The equation represents a plane at the origin that is perpendicular to the wave vector ##\vec k##. At a later time t, the points where the phase is zero are on the plane
$$\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-ωt=0$$ In case ##\vec k ## is parallel with the x axis, ##\vec k =k\hat e_x##, the plane is perpendicular to the x-axis and its position is determined by ##k x -ωt=0##, that is, at ##x=ω/k t ##: the wavefront travels in the positive x dirction, with speed ω/k. ω/k is the propagation velocity or phase velocity of the wave.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
A wave is a traveling disturbance, and the disturbance described by the function ψ depends both on place and time.
$$\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}=Const.$$ is the equation of a wavefront, a plane, where the phase of the wave is the same at each point. Consider a wavefront where C=0 at t=0, that is, ##\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}=0## . The equation represents a plane at the origin that is perpendicular to the wave vector ##\vec k##. At a later time t, the points where the phase is zero are on the plane
$$\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-ωt=0$$ In case ##\vec k ## is parallel with the x axis, ##\vec k =k\hat e_x##, the plane is perpendicular to the x-axis and its position is determined by ##k x -ωt=0##, that is, at ##x=ω/k t ##: the wavefront travels in the positive x dirction, with speed ω/k. ω/k is the propagation velocity or phase velocity of the wave.

ehild

What they are saying is NOT that ## \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} = constant ## everywhere. What they are saying is this: the vector ## \vec{k} ## is a constant, and the vector ## \vec{r} ## can be anything. Now, you pick constant C. Then all the points satisfying the condition ## \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} = C ## lie on a plane, right? (and not that that plane will be perpendicular to ##\vec{k}##) What we know is that everywhere on that plane the wave function has the same phase at any given instant (fixed t). So all the points on that plane correspond a fixed phase. This is the definition of a plane wave.

Likes prosteve037

Related to Equation of a Plane Wave, confused

1. What is the equation of a plane wave?

The equation of a plane wave describes the propagation of a wave in space. It is a mathematical representation of how the wave changes over time and distance.

2. What does the equation of a plane wave look like?

The equation of a plane wave can be written in various forms, but the most common is:

A(x, y, z, t) = A0sin(kx - ωt + φ)

where A is the amplitude, x, y, z are spatial coordinates, t is time, k is the wavenumber, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase.

3. How is the equation of a plane wave derived?

The equation of a plane wave is derived from the wave equation, which describes the behavior of a wave in a medium. By applying boundary and initial conditions, the equation can be simplified to the plane wave equation.

4. What is the difference between a plane wave and a spherical wave?

A plane wave is a type of wave that propagates in a fixed direction with a constant amplitude. It is represented by a flat wavefront. In contrast, a spherical wave propagates outward from a point source in all directions, with a decreasing amplitude as it travels further from the source.

5. Why do people get confused about the equation of a plane wave?

The equation of a plane wave can be confusing because it involves mathematical concepts such as trigonometry and vector calculus. Additionally, the notation and symbols used can vary between different fields of science and engineering, leading to further confusion.